Two Fujitsu FD7 died in a row

mican

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I had issues with these cams while they were still working, but now neither of them turns on at all. All I get is the red LED. Nothing on the screen. I believe the battery is dead, so I've disconnected it just in case it had something to do with the problem but the camera still doesn't power up even from the USB cable. Does anyone have schematics for these cams? I opened it up and managed to identify most of the parts but I can see that it would still be difficult to draw schematics from the board...

20181218_172118-1.jpg

I don't know the camera, but LiPo batteries are relatively cheap to buy, and for testing purposes anything near that size would function well enough to check the cam out. I'm sure you see the charge controller on the battery- be sure it stays put if you swap batteries (unless you get an exact replacement which has it).

When dashcam batteries go bad, you often get anomalous functioning before the cam dies. Usually it's first that it won't save the last file, then worsening problems occur. When the battery goes completely out, the cam might not be receiving enough power to operate because the bad battery is taking it all.

You didn't mention how long it took for the cam to start misbehaving, but replacing a battery every couple years isn't much concern although every few months would be. If you otherwise like the cam, try a new battery-Ithink that (and maybe a hard reset) will fix it. If it' stil wonky then try a firmware upgrade or reinstall.

Phil

Hi Phil,

Thank you for your suggestions.

When the battery goes completely out, the cam might not be receiving enough power to operate because the bad battery is taking it all.

That's why I disconnected it... But I am guessing the microcontroller might be checking for the charge status and not letting the cam to start until it is charged?...

I'm sure you see the charge controller on the battery- be sure it stays put if you swap batteries.

There is a charge controller on the board itself. As far as I was able to deduce it is an LTC4054 or its replica. Or, are you talking about the little PCB attached to the battery? I am assuming it is specific for the particular battery and can't be safely used for a different type...

Mikhail

But I am guessing the microcontroller might be checking for the charge status and not letting the cam to start until it is charged?...
Possibly.

Or, are you talking about the little PCB attached to the battery? I am assuming it is specific for the particular battery and can't be safely used for a different type.

Not suggesting a different type, but a similar sized LiPo. For short test runs an 18650 LiIon would likely work, but you wouldn't want to charge it with the cam.

Phil

Tried connecting a lab supply instead of a battery. The cam wouldn't wake up... I am afraid there is very little hope that it will behave differently with a battery.

You're probably right. Sometimes better to cut your losses and try again with something else. The dashcam world has never had as many good choices available as it does today so I'm sure there's something more reliable out there for you which you'll like.

Phil

Back