U3000 Video Quality

safedrivesolutions

Retailer
Reaction score
Country
Canada
Dash Cam
Viofo A229 Pro+A139 pro, Vueroid D21 4K, Thinkware U3000,
Today I posted a video comparing the video quality of the U3000 to its predecessor U1000. I honestly can say that I barely see a difference. I was kinda disappointed.
We have the STARVIS 2 competing against STARVIS 1 and they look the same? Am I missing something?

Even my A119 Mini (STARVIS 1) vs A119 Mini 2 (STARVIS2) you can notice a difference.

I really hope Thinkware has some firmware updates to further dial it in.
Link below

Who else has tested this unit?

I do like the parking mode on this unit. I will say that is extremely low current draw. I did find out the radar module has a 55 degree angle. I know I emailed Ariel asking if he seen same challenges and I got my response from Thinkware. on that.

Who else has tested this unit?
I would be chomping at the bit to test the U3000, and help you diagnose issues.
For 3 years I have disliked the H.265 HEVC Codec, and the 12 Volt Barrel Type power connection because;
1.) My Chromebook can’t play H.265, (I only get audio).
So the only way I can review footage is on my tiny iPhone SE screen.
2.) I just really prefer the 5V USB Type-C power connector.
I understand why premium Korean manufacturers prefer to use the 12 Barrel Connector because it means they can “bake in” low voltage shut of protection into the camera firmware, instead of using a separate hardwire kit like Viofo.
Also 12 volts it less susceptible to power fluctuations / starvation issues vs. 5 Volts, so it means increased stability / reliability, and less recording malfunctions.
Also some other things too I can’t remember.

After my last K-Drama episode (GNET G-ON2 was my first) with the DR970X I have drawn a line in the sand to only test & evaluate dash cams with H.264, and USB Type-C power connections.
I was excited to be invited to test the all new Vantrue N5 4-Channel with STARVIS 2, but it has H.265, along with the dreaded hanging ball mount that introduces vibration into the video footage, so I had to pass.

I will say though I think Thinkware dodged a bullet with the U3000.
I saw @BlackboxMyCar sample footage earlier today, and it looks way better than the DR970X.
So there’s that. lol
-Chuck

I asked Thinkware for a U3000 to test, but they stated all of the marketing units had already been sent out. Right now, I can't afford to drop over two months worth of my YouTube channel's income on one dash camera to review. I hope Thinkware will have a unit available for me to review sometime in the future.

I will say though I think Thinkware dodged a bullet with the U3000.
I saw @BlackboxMyCar sample footage earlier today, and it looks way better than the DR970X.
So there’s that. lol
-Chuck
Yeah I will be putting my footage out showing how it compares to DR970X. Guess what I believe the DR970X was the worst out of the 4 units on my windshield. I honestly. had to take the DR970X off the windshield and see if the lens was clean. Recleaned the windshield thinking that was the challenge. No same result.

I asked Thinkware for a U3000 to test, but they stated all of the marketing units had already been sent out. Right now, I can't afford to drop over two months worth of my YouTube channel's income on one dash camera to review. I hope Thinkware will have a unit available for me to review sometime in the future.
Emailed you

Great comparison of U1000 vs U3000.

I have the impression in some situations that the U1000 delivers a better image in low light.
For example at 2:06 - car headlights, petrol station lights and lantern lights seem to dazzle more on the U3000. The light cone is wider.
But the image of the U3000 has better saturation/contrast. Or am I seeing this wrong?
And at 2:25 I can read the right-hand advertising sign on the U1000, what's wrong with the U3000?
And at 3:09 again too much light glare, only with one dashcam is 604-882-2024 really readable.

Great comparison of U1000 vs U3000.

I have the impression in some situations that the U1000 delivers a better image in low light.
For example at 2:06 - car headlights, petrol station lights and lantern lights seem to dazzle more on the U3000. The light cone is wider.
But the image of the U3000 has better saturation/contrast. Or am I seeing this wrong?
And at 2:25 I can read the right-hand advertising sign on the U1000, what's wrong with the U3000?
And at 3:09 again too much light glare, only with one dashcam is 604-882-2024 really readable.
Thanks. I was really wishing to see a bigger difference. Main difference i seen was parking mode. Which people will still flock towards. But something seems off on the U3000. Hoping a future firmware upgrade is available.

I was really wishing to see a bigger difference.
Yeah it really doesn’t seem like a big difference
Every time I discover a highly touted manufacturer claimed improvement / upgrade does not function as advertised, I hear Doc Brown in my head over, and over again.
Engage “loop” to share my experience.

Every time I discover a highly touted manufacturer claimed improvement / upgrade does not function as advertised, I hear Doc Brown in my head over, and over again.
Engage “loop” to share my experience.

Classic. Ha Ha.

What I have come to notice is it seems the Korean manufacturers are not testing their products throughly. Every Korean dash cam company I have found challenges with either their product, software, or something they say works but it does not. I am thinking COVID really screwed up their quality control. A few times with IROAD I have found challenges with their software or performance. However, when i gave them feedback they did fix it quite quickly. With FineVu as well I found some glitches in their app software. But Thinkware U3000 should be an upgrade in video quality.

But, i do feel these are things that should have been caught before ever shipping the product.

Thanks for doing the comparison test! Yeah it really doesn’t seem like a big difference, especially without any HDR added. Agreed. I guess super night vision 2.0 to 4.0 doesn’t really impact stuff much either.
Yeah no problem. I was debating on not posting it. But then I was like. Got to be honest with people.

Korean manufacturers are not testing their products
Compared to the 80’s Quality Control (QC), and Research & Development (R&D), of almost ALL products from consumer electronics to underwear is non-existent.
Today almost every product is “rush to market” and paying customers have unwittingly become the final QC Inspectors, and R&D Team.
It seems like Manufacturers started playing a game of odds called;
“Let’s just keep pumping out garbage, and see how may returns we get in the first 30 day return period, and how many warranty claims are filed during the 1 year warranty period. And if we get too many returns, and warranty claims we’ll dissolve the company, and sell the same products under a different brand name.

If you’re not familiar I just described the strategic business plan of Crosstour, Apeman, and I think now Ricilar. They’ve been pumping out the same dash cams under different brand names hoping customers won’t remember. And they’ve perfected their unscrupulous ways. Because consumers are unable, or unwilling to hold them accountable.
Sorry for the rant.

This really does not live up to the expectations created by Sony marketing materials and the Viofo A139 Pro.

To me, the video of the U3000 looks overexposed at night, as if Night Vision was on and not working properly. Do I correctly understand that the U3000 offers brightness adjustment in the settings? If so, that was something I would try to tweak (and significantly lower the brightness). This may lead to a slight loss of details in the dark areas, but should hopefully reduce the overexposure and make signs and plates better readable.

This really does not live up to the expectations created by Sony marketing materials and the Viofo A139 Pro.

To me, the video of the U3000 looks overexposed at night, as if Night Vision was on and not working properly. Do I correctly understand that the U3000 offers brightness adjustment in the settings? If so, that was something I would try to tweak (and significantly lower the brightness). This may lead to a slight loss of details in the dark areas, but should hopefully reduce the overexposure and make signs and plates better readable.
So the U3000 and U1000 both had their respective Night Vision turned on. Super Night Vision 4.0 and Super Night Vision 2.0. Whats the point of Night Vision if it does not work properly. I have a feeling that Thinkware will be regretting not having HDR in their technology. It will allow other brands to sail past them in video quality. Now for me I look at what would the common consumer/customer do for setting up. I feel like the Super Night VIsion should have a light sensor that turns on when it gets dark, and adjusts to different lighting conditions. But wait that may be crazy talk. Or did I just describe HDR?

Thanks for the clarification regarding Night Vision having been turned on. I haven't been too much of a fan of this feature before and this confirms my scepticism.

It would be good to see the comparison with Night Vision turned off. However, @htpoint also did a comparison in the other thread, where Night Vision was allegedly off and it didn't look much better.

I wonder why they are charging such an exorbitant price for a dashcam here, if it is "worse" in terms of image technology than the U1000.
The developers must also have made a comparison and if they are clever and they will also get the discussion here.

Personally, I am interested in the first "non-promotional" video material that the N4Pro delivers with HDR.
What I have seen so far, I am clearly more convinced here and inclined to buy.

Personally, I am interested in the first "non-promotional" video material that the N4Pro delivers with HDR.
What I have seen so far, I am clearly more convinced here and inclined to buy.
I will try anything once. However i am betting with 155 degree wide viewing angle it is not precise at picking up license plates as Viofo 140 degree wide viewing angle. Most of my testing has been showing me that. You can have wide viewing angle or you can have narrow view and better license plate pickup.

Back