UK Solar Eclipse - 20th March 2015 - A Mobius Timelapse

reverend

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
Too many
Recorded on my Mobius B - in hindsight should have used the A to get a better view but couldn't find it in my bag.

we got a really good view 15 miles south of you as the thick cloud acted like a filter and then we got a clear hole in the cloud.... but it didn't video well !

I noticed all the crows and magpies gathering on the roofs of houses making a right racket as they always do in the evening before they fly northwards for the night .

Well I tried to video it with the Mini 0806, but not very successfully, not worth uploading the video, I'll have to try again next time!

Here is about my best mini 0806 frame grab:

Eclipse%200806.jpg

My pocket sized Olympus SZ30 did rather better with the benefit of a tripod and a milk bottle top with eclipse glasses filter placed over the zoom lens:

That video came out really well!

That video came out really well!
For a pocket sized camera the 24 - 600mm zoom lens on the Olympus often gives impressive results, the milk bottle filter helps a lot as it brings the light level down to what the camera is comfortable with.

The mini 0806 image used a small telescope to project an image on some white card, the mini 0806 doesn't really focus close enough though and without a solar tracking mount the sun moves so fast that a reasonable video was impossible.

The sun is back to normal today, but only one sun spot:

Sun%20%282%29.jpg

Image from my Olympus via a projection onto white card.

Flew up to the Faroe Islands a few days before. Here's my pic of the total eclipse:

eclipse.jpg eclipse.jpg

Flew up to the Faroe Islands a few days before. Here's my pic of the total eclipse:

View attachment 11990 View attachment 11990
:)

I got a similar one a few years back in Cornwall, except that pointing across the sea there were around 10,000 flash guns going off the other side as people photographed the eclipse. Maybe the Faroe Islanders where intelligent enough to realise that a flashgun is not the best way to photograph darkness?

A bit of cloud make it much more dramatic, not so good for the astronomy but still an experience.

Back