Unit Gets Warm

I think many people do prefer the brighter exposure of the A229 Plus.

The over exposed plates and signs are probably a consequence of the brighter exposure, but is PP's test a realistic situation for most people?

The "useless garage test that Bill hates" is not a normal driving situation and being able to read the over exposed illuminated signs is not very important.
The over exposed license plates on the road are clearly a problem, but are other people experiencing the same?
I don't have an A229 Plus to check, but I suspect it would be fine in my car, I don't have PP's headlamps!
What are other people's experiences with the A229 Plus? I'm not seeing a lot of complaints about the HDR in the A229 Plus sub-forum...

It would be good if the HDR could deal with all lighting conditions, but there are always tradeoffs to make.
This user isnt happy too and my S1 Pro has same issue https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/battle-of-the-frames-30fps-vs-hdr-30-vs-60fps.50351/

Well duh, nobody likes a dark video, but it's kind of required for HDR to function with maximum effectiveness, (based on all my tests).
The "useless garage test that Bill hates" is not a normal driving situation
I already agreed my garage testing is not a proper way to test HDR, and real world driving test footage is required.
That’s why I included the screenshots of driving test footage, and the videos they came from.
Of course I agree with him.
I do my garage testing to satisfy my own curiosity, and stopped posting so much of it, in favor of driving test footage.
being able to read the over exposed illuminated signs is not very important.
Incorrect.
Everything in frame is important, top to bottom, left to right not just plates.
The over exposed license plates on the road are clearly a problem, but are other people experiencing the same?
Karag .png

I don't have an A229 Plus to check, but I suspect it would be fine in my car, I don't have PP's headlamps!
Why are you always picking on my poor car’s headlights? Lol
I’m using cheap $50 LED’s from Amazon.
They are only 25% the brightness of OEM HID / LED from late model BMW, Audi, MBZ, Tesla, Lexus, Acura, etc.
And only twice as bright as the factory Halogens they replaced;
https://www.amazon.com/gp/B08R62WM6G
Nilight A9 9007 .png
What are other people's experiences with the A229 Plus? I'm not seeing a lot of complaints about the HDR in the A229 Plus sub-forum...
Yes, yes you are absolutely correct my wild accusations of non-functional / unacceptable night time HDR performance require peer review for legitimacy.
If these gentlemen would be so kind to compare the night time HDR performance of the A229 Plus with the A119 Mini 2;
@rcg530
@safedrivesolutions
@Vortex Radar
@Karagandinez
@ogzogz
@Agie
@DrekiTech
@runtohell121
@VVondervvall
@JDtime
@icore

Well duh, nobody likes a dark video, but it's kind of required for HDR to function with maximum effectiveness, (based on all my tests).
I don't know of any good reason why it can't function properly with brighter backgrounds, but I suspect we might have to wait for the next generation HDR before you are going to be happy. At the moment there is definitely a compromise to be made, and the different dashcams are giving different compromises.

I already agreed my garage testing is not a proper way to test HDR, and real world driving test footage is required.
It is a good test, and a valid test, just not a real world test. So it does show how well the HDR is working, it is just not clear if the best compromise has been reached.

Incorrect.
I would like to see everything perfectly exposed and with great clarity, but being able to read the illuminated signs is not going to affect an insurance outcome, while not being able to see the cyclist wearing all black on an all black bicycle may. So I would trade the illuminated signs for being able to see the bicycle, unless there is no need to make that trade.

And only twice as bright as the factory Halogens they replaced;
I'm using halogens, plenty bright enough for me, sometimes too bright on the roads around here.
I think Viofo should be making their dashcams perform best with factory lighting, preferably also with aftermarket lighting, but factory lighting should come first.

5-png.71911

You are lighting up the headrests of the car in front, my factory lights have a beam pattern that would not even light the license plate at that distance, your aftermarket LED bulbs fitted to reflectors designed for halogens are not normal, and would be illegal in some countries.

Yes, yes you are absolutely correct my wild accusations of non-functional / unacceptable night time HDR performance require peer review for legitimacy.
Your accusations are not wild, they are accurate for your experience, but we do need to take other people's experiences into account; what works best for one person doesn't necessarily work best for everyone.

A229 Plus & A119 Mini 2 have the same Novatek 96580 processor, and IMX675 image sensor.
You would think they would copy & paste the HDR firmware tuning 6 months ago, but obviously there is a problem.
I think it is good that there is some variety and choice of dashcams, making them all work identically would remove the choice.

I don't want the HDR firmware from the Mini 2 copied and pasted into the next new dashcam, I want all the latest improvements to be included, with even greater dynamic range from multi-exposure HDR, so that we can have both the illuminated signs and the black bicycle in the shadows perfectly exposed, while getting rid of the motion blur on passing vehicles... and your garage test looking perfect!

I suspect we might have to wait for the next generation HDR before you are going to be happy.
It’s not about “making me happy”.
It’s about the A229 Plus having functional HDR as good, or better than the A119 Mini 2.

your aftermarket LED bulbs fitted to reflectors designed for halogens are not normal, and would be illegal in some countries.
You are correct my LED headlight bulbs are illegal.
But not for being maladjusted, or the beam pattern.
I have spent hours making sure my headlamp assemblies are properly adjusted to comply with my State’s vehicle codes pertaining to headlamp aiming so I don’t blind oncoming motorists, or pedestrians.
I bought a specialty tool to get them adjusted perfectly.
I mimic the BMW HID aiming protocol of adjusting the driver side assembly lower than the passenger side assembly to offer an additional degree of safety so I don't blind oncoming motorists.
I have 4 YouTube videos dedicated to members of my “Panther Car Club” showing them how to adjust the headlamps assemblies on their Crown Victoria, and Grand Marquis.
FMVSS108
There are no DOT approved LED headlight bulbs for use on public roads, and highways.
All LED headlight bulbs are illegal in the US when installed in a reflector type headlamp assembly that was designed for conventional halogen bulbs.
Of course the law is meaningless without enforcement.
The majority of “older” cars in the US that came from the factory with halogen headlamps have been upgraded to LED, (except for RCG530).
However there’s a loophole that allows LED bulbs to be used in Fog Lamp assemblies that originally came with halogens.

Driver Adjusted Lower .png

I don't want the HDR firmware from the Mini 2 copied and pasted into the next new dashcam, I want all the latest improvements to be included, with even greater dynamic range from multi-exposure HDR, so that we can have both the illuminated signs and the black bicycle in the shadows perfectly exposed, while getting rid of the motion blur on passing vehicles.
Currently we ain't got none of that.
An HDR copy & paste from the A119 Mini 2 would be fantastic right about now. lol

I would like to see everything perfectly exposed and with great clarity, but being able to read the illuminated signs is not going to affect an insurance outcome, while not being able to see the cyclist wearing all black on an all black bicycle may. So I would trade the illuminated signs for being able to see the bicycle, unless there is no need to make that trade.
If I knock down a cyclist in black clothes who is riding a bicycle at night without lighting, my lawyer will prove that I am not guilty
and that it was impossible to see anything on the road at that moment.
But if an oncoming car demolishes the side of my car on a narrow road at night and I don’t have evidence of who did it,
the same license plate of the oncoming car, then I will have to restore my car at my own expense.

Viofo is aware of the A229 Plus's problem with reading license plates and
they promised to bring the reading of license plates at night on the A229 Plus to the proper level.
Maybe they just don't have enough time.

Last edited:
Viofo is aware of the A229 Plus's problem with reading license plates and
they promised to bring the reading of license plates at night on the A229 Plus to the proper level.
Maybe they just don't have enough time.
Let’s hope now that the Pro has improved firmware to help with better image quality, Viofo can also do the same with Plus!

Here’s my useless garage test that Bill hates;
As other people said, the car registration plate is more important. You posted two snapshots 7.png and 8.png which are not helping concluding if Mini 2 HDR is better than A229 Plus HDR. I was zooming into both pictures but I can only guess that the Mini 2 legibility is better.
But in those snapshots I saw a thing which is infuriating me: the light banners or what is their name. The thing with Taco and BurgerKing. I will tell you later why...
Yeah it does indeed look like the HDR does indeed need more optimization and that it’s not solely exposure differences.
... because some testers reported that the banners are not so visible with some beta firmwares. And they want better visibility for banners. If you will look above, the banners are better visible on Mini 2.
I just don't care about banners, so I made another meme about this:
I dont want banners but plates.jpg
The darker firmware had better HDR performance for plate reading.
Of course the darker firmware had better HDR performance, but people and manufacturers prefer brighter images. Just imagine a side by side comparison at night between Viofo at night with a great HDR and some other potato dashcam with forced brightness at night. And the potato to be a winner just because the grass around the street is more visible at night. And the only chance to prove that Viofo is better is to show a snapshot with a car registration plate.
He told me all other testers preferred the brighter firmware.
Yes, I explained above why. Just remember 7 years ago how hard was for a manufacturer to sell a dashcam with a smaller lens than 180 (fake advertising) lens. All people were searching for such dashcams. Now they are rare and are offered on potato-dashcams.
Not many, but almost all people. They are focused on the wrong thing. And when they will need a car license plate tell them to look on the bright grass near the road.
Yes, you are right, and right now the only technology who can get rid of over exposing is the DOL HDR.
But the HDR is affected by the settings.
It is not just a button in the firmware which is telling HDR ON and HDR OFF.
And those settings are affecting or the HDR or the brightness. We can not just have them both right now and Viofo is looking for a balanced solution.
Unfortunately this balanced solution is affected by the testers who want visible banners, bright grass and trees around the street.
For me, in such environment only the license plates are important. All others are secondary.
HDR ENABLED VS NO HDR.png

Last edited:
As other people said, the car registration plate is more important. You posted two snapshots 7.png and 8.png which are not helping concluding if Mini 2 HDR is better than A229 Plus HDR. I was zooming into both pictures but I can only guess that the Mini 2 legibility is better.
But in those snapshots I saw a thing which is infuriating me: the light banners or what is their name. The thing with Taco and BurgerKing. I will tell you later why...

... because some testers reported that the banners are not so visible with some beta firmwares. And they want better visibility for banners. If you will look above, the banners are better visible on Mini 2.
View attachment 71994

Of course the darker firmware had better HDR performance, but people and manufacturers prefer brighter images. Just imagine a side by side comparison at night between Viofo at night with a great HDR and some other potato dashcam with forced brightness at night. And the potato to be a winner just because the grass around the street is more visible at night. And the only chance to prove that Viofo is better is to show a snapshot with a car registration plate.

Yes, I explained above why. Just remember 7 years ago how hard was for a manufacturer to sell a dashcam with a smaller lens than 180 (fake advertising) lens. All people were searching for such dashcams. Now they are rare and are offered on potato-dashcams.

Not many, but almost all people. They are focused on the wrong thing. And when they will need a car license plate tell them to look on the bright grass near the road.

Yes, you are right, and right now the only technology who can get rid of over exposing is the DOL HDR.
And those settings are affecting or the HDR or the brightness. We can not just have them both right now and Viofo is looking for a balanced solution.
Unfortunately this balanced solution is affected by the testers who want visible banners, bright grass and trees around the street.

For me, in such environment only the license plates are important. All others are secondary.
View attachment 71997
When Mtz is not working with dash cams I imagine him scarring bears in the woods. Lol

• Haha
Reactions: Mtz

View attachment 71994

View attachment 71997
Last picture looks good. What's the settings to achieve that. The manufacturer can release more firmwares for now and user can decide which one want to use. Is the DOL HDR works only in single channel mode thank you

Back