Unit short-ciruits when front camera plugged in

Monsoon

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A problem has developed with my unit which I’ve not found anyone else report on. It worked fine for the first 3 months but now it continuously powers on and off every 1 second or so. In short, the unit is unusable. The problem only occurs when the front camera wire is plugged in. If just the rear camera wire is plugged in it is fine (but obviously there is no recording from the front camera!). I’ve tried restoring factory settings and formatting the SD card, but it seems to be an issue with the unit short-circuiting when the front camera is plugged in. Any ideas gratefully received. The firmware is K1S:R158/2015047. Thanks.

Yes, if I do that it works fine. Presumably the problem is therefore with the front camera/lead rather than the unit itself?

Yes, if I do that it works fine. Presumably the problem is therefore with the front camera/lead rather than the unit itself?

I would think so yes, if I recall correctly @petepete pulled some of these down recently and commented something about the cameras that may be related to your problem

if its the K1s..

the female camera sockets ( maybe all 4 as they are the same ) are very weakly soldered to the board and any pressure on them can start an intermittent open circuit that raps power off the whole unit and it powers up if the open circuit closes...

I managed to solder it up but never felt it would be reliable so sold it as "one working camera" and whoever bought it got a fully working as new k1s for how ever long it lasted ...

should be recalled that many report this fault.

this is more likely than a camera fault and I suggest you wiggle the cables where they enter the socket and try again.

Thanks both. I've tried wiggling the cable to the front camera - makes no difference - it just keeps on powering on and off continously. I'm guessing that as the rear camera works fine in the front socket it must be something to do with the front camera / lead itsefl rather than the unit. I've got in touch with the seller who has asked me to return just the front camera and they will send a replacement. I'll report back whether that sorts it.

I had similar that drove me nuts. Turned out the wire broke inside the connector plug. I'd unplug and plug and the ends would mate, but after a few miles and bumps, it lost connection. Subsequent rough handling outed the culprit.

Believe me, they provide just enough fine strands of copper to just carry the required current. The plastic insulation has more strength.

Back