Unstable WiFi connection

RogerBill

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I've just bought a new car with a 380GWX380 front and rear camera and battery. I've enabled parking mode. The problem is that WiFi to either my Android phone or tablet only manages to stay connected for a minute, sometimes less. I've tried resetting the camera and using the camera to format the disc.

I've read that turning parking mode off can help, but via WiFi this doesn't seem possible so is it necessary as per page 48 of the manual to remove the SD card? I can only get at the SD card by removing the camera from the car which means either I can't use the security screws or I can't use parking mode. Both these were reasons I thought this camera would be better than the alternatives.

I'd be very grateful if anyone can help with this or has any other suggestions to improve the WiFi connection?

Many thanks, Roger

Found that I have version 4.4 of the firmware so downloaded V4.9 from https://nextbase.co.uk/help-and-support/dash-cams/380gwx-dash-cam-support/ unzipped and copied the .bin file onto the camera's SD card. But after trying various things no rapid flashing red light and it hasn't yet installed the update. Has anyone got any ideas how to get the camera to install the firmware update or what I might be doing wrong?

Interestingly the Nextbase.com website still has V4.4 for the 380GWX as the latest version available for download from: https://support.nextbase.com/hc/en-...ate-the-firmware-on-380GW-and-380GWX-Dash-Cam

Problem solved.
I used the Nextbase Replay software on my Windows laptop to install the V4.9 firmware update. It does seem on initial testing to provide a much more stable WiFi connection than V4.4.

Problem solved.
I used the Nextbase Replay software on my Windows laptop to install the V4.9 firmware update. It does seem on initial testing to provide a much more stable WiFi connection than V4.4.
PS All the settings are lost by updating the firmware so you have to reenter your car registration number, reenable parking mode, etc.

I installed the firmware update via phone to camera and it’s still an unstable wifi connection . Keeps saying it wants to connect can’t even check multiple videos without it wanting to reconnect

I installed the firmware update via phone to camera and it’s still an unstable wifi connection . Keeps saying it wants to connect can’t even check multiple videos without it wanting to reconnect

Attachments

• IMG_6520.png
    IMG_6520.png
    210.5 KB · Views: 2
Hi @Mikeygeeves Sorry but it looks like you have a 622 camera whereas mine is a 380GWX so my experience may not be relevant. The only things I can suggest to try are:
  1. restart the camera
  2. reformat the SD card
  3. turn off parking mode
  4. reset the camera to factory settings
  5. try installing the firmware using the Nextbase Replay app if it's compatible with your camera and if you have a Microsoft Windows PC.
  6. Search this forum and elsewhere on the Internet for advice specific to your camera. I found the best advice for mine was on a Lexus Owners forum.
Good luck.

Sorry, but I "FEEL" the need to raise this again.

I really see no improvement and progress made by Nextbase to sort this issue (years have passed). More or less everyone cannot connect to their Nextbase Dashcam with their phone (presumably when in the car).

Yes, I know that the best way is to either remove the SD card and or take your dashcam and connect it to a laptop/pc, I don't dispute this....however, there are and will be times when I will need to connect directly to my phone to view some footage. Like me, not everyone has a laptop anymore, I have a Android phone and tablet, but I can get access to a laptop should I need to.

I tried last night, both in the car and sitting in my house and my 622GW will just not connect to my Pixel 8, it does try and did for a second and bombed out. This is clearly a Nextbase issue.

I have tried ALL and read ALL the troubleshooting, so there is no use at all in anyone suggesting it....because they don't work.

Blimey, you can buy a crap £50 dashcam that will connect to a phone and view footage each and every time (I know the actual footage would be rubbish, but thats not the point I'm making here), so why can't Nextbase get this to work ?

After last night's attempts, it has convinced me that my next dashcams will probably be Thinkware or Viofo, as I thought when I kitted all the family vehicles with Nextbase products, I thought that this issue was just a software issue and would get sorted pretty quickly by Nextbase.

That's my Nextbase rant over with for today.

Back