USB C cable for power possible?

piccolo88

Reaction score
Country
Germany
Hi,
My golf 8 does have USB C Connectors available. Is it possible to use a USB C on USB C cable to power up the viofo since I don't want to use the power socket.

What is the length of the original power cable?

Are those USB-C sockets for charging, or for data?

In most cars, the in-built USB sockets do not provide enough power to run a dashcam reliably.

Last edited:
If I plug in my phone (Xiaomi 12) it charges my phone. On my android device I can choose if I want it for charging or data.

In most cars, the in-built USB sockets do not provide enough power to run a dashcam reliably.
That's pretty much not the case for most (many?) newer vehicles, at least on this side of the pond. My last 3 new vehicles (the newest is a 2019 model year) supplied 2.1A on all the USB sockets. Owner's manuals should give the specifics.

That's pretty much not the case for most (many?) newer vehicles, at least on this side of the pond. My last 3 new vehicles (the newest is a 2019 model year) supplied 2.1A on all the USB sockets. Owner's manuals should give the specifics.
OK, thanks. I'm definitely behind the times. And in need of a new car!

I was thinking about the old 0.5A sockets designed to let you connect your phone to your car to play music or whatever. I say old. My car does not even have those. I do have a 3.5mm audio jack :)

FWIW, while I haven't done much testing with this with the A139 Pro, I've seen issues with older Viofo's using other USB power sources. It could lead to weird issues like camera lockups while driving and so ever since then I've stuck to the provided power cables and adapters.

With the A139 Pro though, I have used other USB power sources a bit for bench testing and it's worked fine, but YMMV.

With the A139 Pro though, I have used other USB power sources a bit for bench testing and it's worked fine, but YMMV.
In the end, it just depends on how good the supplied power from the Golf is. Since it's automotive-grade it should work fine if the current is enough.

So it's possible to use the cars internal USB c socket?
These cameras do not take much power so it is likely that your car can power it reliably. But you have to test that as different cars offer different things. To check its limits, turn on the WiFi on the camera and have it recording at the highest resolution and FPS while connected to your phone over wifi. If the camera does not reset or disconnect from your phone over a 5 minute period, you are good. If it is disconnecting from your phone you need a better USB power source. One thing to keep in mind is that you will not be able to use your car's usb power source to run the camera in parking mode so it will only power your camera when your car is on.

In the end, it just depends on how good the supplied power from the Golf is. Since it's automotive-grade it should work fine if the current is enough.
Perhaps. One of the laser jamming systems I test has poor power filtering and so it has issues with being alongside other accessories. One of the radar detectors I test will sometimes have a nasty poweroff issue, particularly with vehicles that have start-stop system, and so I assume it has something to do with insufficient voltage or current being supplied.

So while the quality of the vehicle's power definitely makes a difference, the design of the accessory can affect things too.

That's the key factor after supplying adequate power. One of my vehicles that did provide 2.1A did it in a manner that wasn't particularly stable from some of the outlets. At times that would cause the connected cameras to restart. It wasn't an issue using it as a charging port for a phone/tablet/etc., but as a primary power source for a camera it didn't work as well. All you can do is try it and if issues arise use a source other than the USB port to see if it is the port supplying less than clean power.

USB-C to USB-C cable is a no go; at least on my VW ID.4.

If I used USB-C to USB-A adapter; using a USB-A to USB-C cable to power the dash cam, then that works... At least with the Vantrue E3. I should also try it with the Viofo A229 Duo in my VW ID.4 as I'm still running two dash cam for no real reason...

Anyone know what length I need if I order an USB C cable?
Hoe long is the original power cable?

Anyone know what length I need if I order an USB C cable?

You can measure the length you need in the car, from your intended camera position to wherever your USB sockets are located.

3m cables work for most installations. 4m gives you a bit extra length to work with, can help when hiding the cable.

Maybe you want to check this information before you buy another cable.
well, I have both 129 pro using mini usb and 139 pro using usb c. the mini usb c does come with a pin called the ID pin which is connected to ACC of your car to check if your car is ignited or not, then the cam will enter either recording mode or parking mode accordingly. when it comes with usb c , I suppose, there must be a pin work the same function. I personally name it the ID pin. just make suer buy the full fuctioning usb c cable to replace the official wire.

@piccolo88 have you decided whether you want to use parking mode or not? Are your USB-C sockets permanently live - do they continue to provide power when the car is off?

@piccolo88 have you decided whether you want to use parking mode or not? Are your USB-C sockets permanently live - do they continue to provide power when the car is off?
parking mode would be great - however
a) I dont trust hard wiring /ODB connectors. Theres several complaints online that your car battery runs dead anyway.
An option with a battery/ powerbank might be nice
but
b) I have my car mainly parked in a duplex garage, so whenever my car-neighbor wants to get to his car the dashcam would go crazy.
therefore i'd would be necessary that I can easily switch parking mode on and off (and have it switched of whenever my car is in my duplex garage)

Any recommendations for those requirements?

Maybe you want to check this information before you buy another cable.
This information is meaningless in this situation, sorry. That guy is confusing USB C cables, with Viofo hardwire kits.

Back