Using a WM1 as a rear dashcam?

budster

Reaction score
Country
United States
Has anyone used the Viofo WM1 as a rear dashcam and can provide their experience? I was helping someone with installing their Viofo A119 Mini 2 dashcam as a front dashcam in their 2024 Honda CRV. Then was thinking what would make sense to install as a rear dashcam. We did not go with a 2 channel dashcam solution as we wanted independent front/rear dashcams to reduce the chances of a failure affecting both dashcams and also to not have to run wire from the front to the back (I believe the CRV has a 12V outlet in the back).

I was thinking a wedge style dashcam like the A119 V3 or Mini 2 may block too much of the rear view. And I feel there's not really a need for rear dashcam with a screen, which would too up more space. So when I saw that the WM1 doesn't have a screen and is more low profile than the A119 models, I thought it may be a good candidate to use as a rear dashcam. Thoughts?

Has anyone used the Viofo WM1 as a rear dashcam and can provide their experience? I was helping someone with installing their Viofo A119 Mini 2 dashcam as a front dashcam in their 2024 Honda CRV. Then was thinking what would make sense to install as a rear dashcam. We did not go with a 2 channel dashcam solution as we wanted independent front/rear dashcams to reduce the chances of a failure affecting both dashcams and also to not have to run wire from the front to the back (I believe the CRV has a 12V outlet in the back).

I was thinking a wedge style dashcam like the A119 V3 or Mini 2 may block too much of the rear view. And I feel there's not really a need for rear dashcam with a screen, which would too up more space. So when I saw that the WM1 doesn't have a screen and is more low profile than the A119 models, I thought it may be a good candidate to use as a rear dashcam. Thoughts?

...I was thinking a wedge style dashcam like the A119 V3 or Mini 2 may block too much of the rear view...
It would seem that way but the reality is it's less intrusive than the rear view mirror is on the windshield. After a very short period of time you're only aware of it when you're looking at it - same as the mirror except it's less visible because it occupies a smaller percentage of the field of view. This has been the experience of many long time dash cam users who used a second cam in the rear before 2 channel systems became as prevalent a they are now.

Last edited:
It would seem that way but the reality is it's less intrusive than the rear view mirror is on the windshield. After a very short period of time you're only aware of it when you're looking at it - same as the mirror except it's less visible because it occupies a smaller percentage of the field of view. This has been the experience of many long time dash cam users who used a second cam in the rear before 2 channel systems became as prevalent a they are now.

I was also thinking that the mount of the WM1 might be smaller to fit between the defroster lines on the rear window. I know for sure that the mount of the A119 V3 won't fit between the defroster lines on a 2024 Honda CRV. It's not good for the 3M VHB adhesive to overlap the defroster lines, right? Does anyone know the dimensions of the mounting surface of the WM1?

This model works well from behind too.

View attachment 73751

So looks like you mounted your VS1 at the bottom of the rear window off to one side. I thought rear dashcams are ideally mounted in the top center.

Also, wondering if the VS1 mount is overlapping your rear defroster wires or is it able to fit in between the wires?

...It's not good for the 3M VHB adhesive to overlap the defroster lines, right?...
It's only a problem when you take the mount off. ;)

But, yeah, you should probable try to avoid putting the VHB tape on the grid. There are a couple of ways I've gotten around it it the past.

1) Mount the camera somewhere where the grid isn't. My preference for having things as symmetrical and centered as possible gets in the way of doing that though.

2) Prevent the VHB from coming into contact with the 'wire' by either cutting a groove in it to allow the wire to pass under the the tape, or (the method I use when necessary) cut a narrow (1/8" or so) strip of paper, preferably the same color as the VHB, and place it over the wire(s) in the area where you want the camera mounted. A strip of plastic wrap (Saran Wrap) would probably work as well but I haven't tried that.

Last edited:
My VS1 is glued to the plastic trim of the rear door and does not touch the glass.

Oh, I think I see now from the photo. Looks like you mounted it upside down (reverse from how it would normally be mounted to a windshield) and changed some setting in the camera to flip the image. It seems the rear on your vehicle does not open up like a hatchback or minivan, right?

No. I had it installed between the top and bottom closer to the left side of the car.

Approximately 25x40mm.

Thanks for the dimensions. So about 25mm is about 1 inch tall and I'll have to see later if the defroster wires are at least 1 inch apart.

When you have a chance, would you be able to post a photo of how your WM1 is mounted in the rear?

Looks like you mounted it upside down (reverse from how it would normally be mounted to a windshield) and changed some setting in the camera to flip the image.
It's more convenient for me.
It seems the rear on your vehicle does not open up like a hatchback or minivan, right?
Everything opens. Skoda Kodiaq.
When you have a chance, would you be able to post a photo of how your WM1 is mounted in the rear?
No. I removed it from one car, but I haven't installed it in the other one yet.

Last edited:
Back