Using external battery source for Mobius?

Corn

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I just have a question and want to be sure just in case (and not destroy my mobius cam).
I have an external battery from "Goal Zero". The model is the "Yeti 150". Here is a link to it:
http://www.goalzero.com/p/164/Goal-Zero-Yeti-150-Solar-Generator

Could I simply plug my mobius cam using the 5 pin usb cable that was included with the mobius camera
into my Yeti 150 usb port? The specs on the Yeti 150 says that the USB ports are 5V (up to 2.1 A, 10 W max), regulated.

Also, does the mobius cam have a voltage limiter? I didn't see one in the settings. I don't need a voltage limiter as this is an external battery source and won't matter if it's completely drained out. I know that almost all car dash cams have a built in voltage limiter usually set at its lowest is 11.8V or 11.9V. The problem with that when using my external battery is that when the minimum voltage of 11.9V is reached, the dash cam will turn off automatically, but my external battery pack still has about 60% charge left on it. I'm still getting about 40 hours of continuous recording from 100% charge until the voltage hits 11.9V. But if the Mobius cam has no voltage limiter, then it would just keep recording until the external battery is at 0 or 1%. I'm guessing I could get as much as 80 to 100 hours continuous recording on a full charge so this way I won't need to keep recharging my external battery every 2 - 3 days.

I just have a question and want to be sure just in case (and not destroy my mobius cam).
I have an external battery from "Goal Zero". The model is the "Yeti 150". Here is a link to it:
http://www.goalzero.com/p/164/Goal-Zero-Yeti-150-Solar-Generator

Could I simply plug my mobius cam using the 5 pin usb cable that was included with the mobius camera
into my Yeti 150 usb port? The specs on the Yeti 150 says that the USB ports are 5V (up to 2.1 A, 10 W max), regulated.

Also, does the mobius cam have a voltage limiter? I didn't see one in the settings. I don't need a voltage limiter as this is an external battery source and won't matter if it's completely drained out. I know that almost all car dash cams have a built in voltage limiter usually set at its lowest is 11.8V or 11.9V. The problem with that when using my external battery is that when the minimum voltage of 11.9V is reached, the dash cam will turn off automatically, but my external battery pack still has about 60% charge left on it. I'm still getting about 40 hours of continuous recording from 100% charge until the voltage hits 11.9V. But if the Mobius cam has no voltage limiter, then it would just keep recording until the external battery is at 0 or 1%. I'm guessing I could get as much as 80 to 100 hours continuous recording on a full charge so this way I won't need to keep recharging my external battery every 2 - 3 days.
Any standard USB cable should be OK but it's important the charger doesn't use the data lines. If it does, the Mobius will think it's connected to a computer and you won't be able to use it as a camera.
I suggest you read Post #7 from the main Mobius RC thread. I think this is the information you're after:

Using the camera with only external USB power (internal battery disconnected)
The camera can be used without a battery connected to the internal connector on the board. Remember that the RTC (Real Time Clock) will be reset every time the external USB power is removed.
• The camera requires an absolute minimum of 4.18V to operate correctly. This value may vary with the type of card used. I would think 4.3V would be a safer figure.
• It is possible to use a supercapacitor in place of the internal battery. This will keep the RTC running for up to 10 days. It is not possible to use the supercapacitor to power the camera. Installing a supercapacitor requires the camera to be powered by external USB power.

Back