Using powerbanks, battery packs on dashcam, how does the ampere work?

Sunny

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
More than I can review. ;)
Most dashcams come with 1a charger that gives somewhere around 800mA realistically.
With the new powerbanks providing upto 2.1A from USB port, how does it not harm when used with dashcams?
Some are smart and control it depending upon plugged device but some just give all they got.
Thoughts?

Think about it this way...

when you plug your kettle in, you plug it into the mains electricity protected from the full force of your entire neighbourhood electricity supply only by a 32a trip switch. (uk)

(I guess in your country a 3000watt kettle on 110v takes 30amps)

it doesn't blow up faced with that full force !!!

and your kettle will only use its rated output at that voltage as does your camera in its lowly 5v form !!!!

That's only valid if the dashcams have built-in protection/down converter.
If that were the case, then we won't have threads where dashcams are trashed when plugged in to the 12v battery directly.

Electricity is down converted to 120v (220v) before they go in the house.
Try full 120,000 volts to household appliances and see what happens. ;)

These are nice USB gadgets for getting info of power usage, here usb powerbank is charging old dvr from 2,1 ampere slot.
U=volts
P=how much dvr use power in wats
I= how many amperes it uses right now
C= total amount of amperes used.

Attachments

• Dsc05508.jpg
    Dsc05508.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 36
Don't think of current as a force pushing power into the camera. Think of it like sucking water through a straw from a cup. The mah rating of the battery would be the size of the cup and the diameter of the straw would be the amp rating. A higher amp output rating means you have a bigger straw, but you still control how much water/current you suck in.

Voltage on the other hand is a pressure, like putting your mouth over a soda bottle opening. Shake it up and generate too much pressure and something has to give.

KuoH

With the new powerbanks providing upto 2.1A from USB port, how does it not harm when used with dashcams?

That's only valid if the dashcams have built-in protection/down converter.
If that were the case, then we won't have threads where dashcams are trashed when plugged in to the 12v battery directly.

Electricity is down converted to 120v (220v) before they go in the house.
Try full 120,000 volts to household appliances and see what happens. ;)

I don't get why you are going in that direction with the conversation ???

why would anyone try to connect a kettle to 120,000 volts indeed why would anyone try to connect a 5v dashcam to 12v !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

my point is you connect any device to its rated voltage and it will only draw its rated wattage linked directly to amperage via elementary school formula !

Don't think of current as a force pushing power into the camera. Think of it like sucking water through a straw from a cup. The mah rating of the battery would be the size of the cup and the diameter of the straw would be the amp rating. A higher amp output rating means you have a bigger straw, but you still control how much water/current you suck in.

Voltage on the other hand is a pressure, like putting your mouth over a soda bottle opening. Shake it up and generate too much pressure and something has to give.

KuoH
I see.

I don't get why you are going in that direction with the conversation ???

why would anyone try to connect a kettle to 120,000 volts indeed why would anyone try to connect a 5v dashcam to 12v !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

my point is you connect any device to its rated voltage and it will only draw its rated wattage linked directly to amperage via elementary school formula !
So it's safe to connect 1a dashcam to 2.1a output charger?
That's all I wanted to confirm. :)

You could connect it to a 5v 100a power supply and it would be fine. The voltage is what matters the most.

KuoH

That's all I wanted to confirm. :)

Okay then.
I'll try these out and see how long it lasts.
The 20,000mAh one may last a week. :D

dsc02172-small-jpg.14102

Last edited by a moderator:
Not if it's on 24x7. If the camera is 5v 1a, then it uses 5 watts. A 4v (battery not output voltage) 20ah supply has at best 80 watthours. Divide that by 5 and you get 16 hour of runtime under ideal conditions. Depending on actual current draw, converter efficiency and degree of battery capacity over exaggeration from the manufacturer/seller, your probably looking at between 10 to 20 hours of real world time.

KuoH

Okay then.
I'll try these out and see how long it lasts.
The 20,000mAh one may last a week. :D

Not if it's on 24x7. If the camera is 5v 1a, then it uses 5 watts. A 4v (battery not output voltage) 20ah supply has at best 80 watthours. Divide that by 5 and you get 16 hour of runtime under ideal conditions. Depending on actual current draw, converter efficiency and degree of battery capacity over exaggeration from the manufacturer/seller, your probably looking at between 10 to 20 hours of real world time.

KuoH
I'm expecting a lot more than that from 20a battery.
This 2200mah gives 4-5hrs on gt680 so this is way more battery.
https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threa...9-2200-mah-3-year-warranty.11607/#post-150280

But will know when I test it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well it's just basic math. If you get 4 hours on 2.2 ah, then your camera uses 2.2 watts. On a 80 wh battery, you'd get around 36 hours assuming perfect efficiency and accurate battery capacity.

KuoH

This 2200mah gives 4-5hrs on gt680 so this is way more battery.

As long as the output power of your power bank it's 5V (which probably it is) then there's no problem. It's not your power bank who controls the charging, but the circuitry inside the dashcam. This charging circuit is designed to provide a constant output current (while making sure that the voltage at the battery terminals, the one inside the camera, is not bigger than an upper threshold, 4.1 or 4.2V for 1 cell). Once this acquired, the more complex charging circuits switch to a second stage, providing a constant voltage while the current decreases until an inferior limit.

At DashCameraNation.com our engineers have come up with a way to "go mobile" with the G1WH using portable power. Here is "DashCamera" video of my G1WH mounted to the handlebars of my bike. This is a small example of over a full two hours of video taken on my G1WH and portable power on my bike ride.

might look better for your realtor friend if the brake lever wasn't in the shot, also because you used the stabilize option offered on YouTube you get the date jumping about in the video which detracts from the result, better to turn the OSD display off and not have that happening

At DashCameraNation.com our engineers have come up with a way to "go mobile" with the G1WH using portable power. Here is "DashCamera" video of my G1WH mounted to the handlebars of my bike. This is a small example of over a full two hours of video taken on my G1WH and portable power on my bike ride.
So what exactly is the method your "engineers" have devised for allowing a G1W-H to "go mobile". Many of us have been powering dash cams with external batteries for quite some time now.

Also, does this have anything to do with the subject of this thread?

Edit: I see, this is just a duplicate posting of the same video you posted elsewhere in its own thread under the same title.

Last edited:
So what exactly is the method your "engineers" have devised for allowing a G1W-H to "go mobile". Many of us have been powering dash cams with external batteries for quite some time now.

Also, does this have anything to do with the subject of this thread?

Edit: I see, this is just a duplicate posting of the same video you posted elsewhere in its own thread under the same title.

Dashmellow,

Yes, you are correct after conducting more thorough review of "power banks" I see that you have lead the charge for quite some time. I am fairly new to this site and never implemented a "power bank" solution so that I could provide a fully mobile application for a G1WH. So, in my haste to share the video I failed to perform adequate research on the topic. My intent was not to act like I was rediscovering the obvious. Thought the video was relevant to the point of the thread as it demonstrated the viability of powering a Dash Camera with a power bank. Thank you for your reply as I will be more diligent in my research and relevance prior to submitting future posts.

might look better for your realtor friend if the brake lever wasn't in the shot, also because you used the stabilize option offered on YouTube you get the date jumping about in the video which detracts from the result, better to turn the OSD display off and not have that happening

Jokiin,

Yes, thank you for the advise on the OSD so to not have the date/time jumping around. Just quickly turned the camera "sideways" on my handle bars to work the house and neighborhood in. It was not a promotional piece but more of a "hey look what I did with my Dash Camera for you" kind of piece. Thanks again for your suggestions.

Dashmellow,

Yes, you are correct after conducting more thorough review of "power banks" I see that you have lead the charge for quite some time. I am fairly new to this site and never implemented a "power bank" solution so that I could provide a fully mobile application for a G1WH. So, in my haste to share the video I failed to perform adequate research on the topic. My intent was not to act like I was rediscovering the obvious. Thought the video was relevant to the point of the thread as it demonstrated the viability of powering a Dash Camera with a power bank. Thank you for your reply as I will be more diligent in my research and relevance prior to submitting future posts.

I was more curious about your comment that "our engineers have come up with a way to "go mobile" really, since this seemed to be implying that you as a retailer had come up with something new and innovative rather than a rear view mirror mount on your handlebars and a battery pack.

Regarding your "haste to share the video" I notice that you posted it to three different threads here on DCT within the span of about 15 minutes, including a dedicated one of its own. I don't mean to be difficult or adversarial and I'm speaking only for myself here but that seems a bit much. Most forums I've ever participated in over the years tend to frown on this sort of thing.

Dashmellow,

I understand your status and leadership position in this forum. Out of respect to you and your inquiry I will provide you with a final explanation of my actions and allow you to have the last word if you would like to comment further.

1. I stated "our engineers have discovered a way to go mobile" without first understanding your discovery a year prior. I thought it to be a pretty considerable accomplishment to take a G1WH (with a battery) and run it for 2 hours on a "powerbank". After looking back on my post and placement of said post I realize that it was not only poorly placed but poorly explained.
2. I posted the 2nd video on a thread that simply asked "Anyone have interesting dashcam videos NOT related to cars?". Since I didn't see any other videos from a G1WH from the perspective of bicycle handlebars I thought it was appropriate to post and interesting too.
3. The 3rd post was just a general post for those who may not be engaged in the two other threads who might like to know that the capabilities exists to take the G1WH outside of the car. Hence the post to the thread of "Your dashcam videos recorded by you". Again, without the prior knowledge that you may have realized these capabilities a year earlier.

My hope is that you will understand that the purpose of my posts are not to go beyond the standard decorum of this forum. I will not refrain from future posts, but per your recommendation I will certainly be more careful about the relevance, frequency and content of the posts going forward.

Thank you for your feedback and suggestions as they are greatly appreciated!!

Back