Using the Power Magic....

pdes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have to say that I am somewhat confused and I bet I am missing something.

I have my Power Magic set to the shortest time - 6 hours with my DR650GW-2CH. I think this is ridiculously long but that's another issue!

What I don't understand is how the motion detection works. Surely, if the power is removed either from the ignition or the Power Magic, the camera cannot be recording.

I also don't "get" the Event Recording settings. Again, if the power is off, how can this work. If the power is on then it would record anyway.

My understanding is the Power Magic simply cuts power to the camera (at preset voltages) to stop the car battery going too low - when the power is cut the camera is not recording. Its a type of failsafe device for your car battery

Yep, get that. It's the recording whilst parked that confuses me. I thought I had read that this has motion detection but how can this work if the power has been cut? If the power is still on, then you wouldn't need motion detection as the camera would already be recording.

Ok, the motion detection is happening when there is still power to the cameras (before the power magic cuts in to turn the camera off). Problem is, IMHO if you set the voltage too high, you wont get much recording time. If you set it too low then there is a danger you are allowing your battery to become too depleted and it may not start and can also give issues with other circuits (city stop/start on my Mazda CX-5). One of the main problems is the Motion Detection is simply too sensitive allowing it to start recording on a setting of 1 even if a leaf floats by. I have set my motion detection to 0 (OFF) in parking mode and am relying on quite a high G Sensor setting in parking mode.

Hope this helps a little

Ok, the motion detection is happening when there is still power to the cameras (before the power magic cuts in to turn the camera off). Problem is, IMHO if you set the voltage too high, you wont get much recording time. If you set it too low then there is a danger you are allowing your battery to become too depleted and it may not start and can also give issues with other circuits (city stop/start on my Mazda CX-5). One of the main problems is the Motion Detection is simply too sensitive allowing it to start recording on a setting of 1 even if a leaf floats by. I have set my motion detection to 0 (OFF) in parking mode and am relying on quite a high G Sensor setting in parking mode.

Hope this helps a little
Thanks Andy, I have set my Power Magic for 12v and it still stays on for 6 hours. The problem is that I get 6 hours of 1 minute files every time I park!

You must have Motion Detection on rather than just relying on the G Sensor

Back