v3 Mobius with 128GB card?

Osmosis

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, all,

I have a v3 Mobius, bought in March 2015.

My new car's cigarette lighter socket is always powered, so I'd like to up my capacity from 32GB to 128GB.

However, I'm unable to find any Class 4 128GB micro SD cards. Seems to be Class 10 or nothing.

Has anyone had success with any particular 128GB cards?

All the best

Don't think there are any, I'm sure those that are using 128gb cards must be using Class 10 cards
Yeah I suspected that would be the case. Which begs the question as to which Class 10 128GB cards aren't causing problems.

Last edited:
I've bitten the bullet and ordered a Kingston micro SDXC 128GB card. Fingers crossed!

The card came today.

Kingston 128GB microSDXC
UHS 1 - Class 10
45MB/s
SDC10G2/128GB

Initial format with the in-camera formatter didn't work properly.

When connected to my Mac an alert dialog said: The disk you inserted was not readable by this computer.

So, I clicked Ignore
Opened Disk Utility
Clicked on C-DDTEKM obius Media
Clicked on Erase
Changed Name to MOBIUS
Changed Format to ExFAT
Changed Scheme to Master Boot Record
Clicked on Erase

When complete, I ejected the Mobius and re-connected. It was recognised and mounted properly.

As far as I'm aware, this card works with the Mobius but I now need to let it run in the car and see if it records correctly and loops when full.

Last edited:
Update 1:

It records as normal. Too early to check it loops.

However, I can't view the videos properly if the Mobius is mounted via USB. It's as though the files are corrupt. Some play, some don't. Even if copying them to my Mac.

Tried formatting again, changing to mp4. Still no joy.

Until, I took the SD card out and used a card reader. All clips then play straight from the card and also when transferred.

Phew!

Update 2:

Loop failed with the card formatted as ExFAT. Now trying again, having formatted with Disk Utility as FAT.

The card came today.

Kingston 128GB microSDXC
UHS 1 - Class 10
45MB/s
SDC10G2/128GB

Initial format with the in-camera formatter didn't work properly.

When connected to my Mac an alert dialog said: The disk you inserted was not readable by this computer.

So, I clicked Ignore
Opened Disk Utility
Clicked on C-DDTEKM obius Media
Clicked on Erase
Changed Name to MOBIUS
Changed Format to ExFAT
Changed Scheme to Master Boot Record
Clicked on Erase

When complete, I ejected the Mobius and re-connected. It was recognised and mounted properly.

As far as I'm aware, this card works with the Mobius but I now need to let it run in the car and see if it records correctly and loops when full.

Sounds like you might benefit from reading the "Cards" section in Mobius Instruction Manual , available HERE.

Accidentally left it on MP4, so loop again failed. Changed to .MOV and now it loops.

So I can confirm that this Kingston 128GB card works with the Mobius.

Hope this helps someone.

Accidentally left it on MP4, so loop again failed. Changed to .MOV and now it loops.

Hope this helps someone.
Please let us know if it stays stable.

Hope this helps someone.

Did you leave the card formatted as fat32 or exfat?

I just got a sandisk 128GB card in today. It's came preformatted as exfat.

Read the "CARDS" section (page two) of the Mobius Instruction Manual for a thorough explanation of formatting for different size cards using FAT, FAT32 or exFAT.

^^Yes, I read that section multiple times.

:) I've actually been on here for over a year, mostly as a lurker.

I suppose will try it as exfat and see how it goes. Supposedly exfat has certain benefits for removable storage that increase its longevity.

I formatted as Fat32. Or rather, Fat (only option on my Mac). Been performing well and will hold over 300 looped clips.

Edit: it needs to be fat32 for loop to work.

Last edited:
:) I've actually been on here for over a year, mostly as a lurker.

I suppose will try it as exfat and see how it goes. Supposedly exfat has certain benefits for removable storage that increase its longevity.

Hah, I assumed you were a new member since you never posted until today but I now see you've been around for 15 months. Well, welcome to DCT! :) There are actually quite a lot of long time members here who have never posted or have only posted a few times.

Yeah, I was gonna suggest just trying different things to see what works best but it looks like you're already planning to do that.

Back