Vantrue E1 - First impressions, reviews, tests...

Falsificator

Reaction score
Country
Russian Federation
Dash Cam
Ambarella, Novatek
The packaging makes the first impression. A solid sturdy box with excellent printing.
For me, this is always an indicator of the manufacturer's approach to their own products
and attitude towards their customers. Also pleased with the color and detailed user
manual as thick as a finger in seven languages. I would call a complete set - open and use.
The only thing the user needs is a memory card. Of the pleasant bonuses: a radio remote
control with voice control and emergency saving of the video and a CPL-filter.
When you turn it on for the first time, you will need to select the interface language
and configure the basic settings. Others can be configured in the app. Taking the dashcam
in hand, a feeling is created. that in the hands of a premium segment gadget. And indeed it is.
After testing, I will supplement the description with a review and new impressions...
Vantrue-6.jpg

Thanks for the photos!

I saw mention of buffered recording for motion detection on Vantrue's site which is great. Could you test if this applies to both motion detection and impact detection?

I like, but i am not sure i would like the mounting solution.
But ! otherwise look nice and small.

The Vantrue E1 website page states that you should use the Vantrue hardwire kit for parking mode. It's a 2-wire kit with a fixed 11.6V/11.4V (according their website in 12-volt mode) which seems quite low. The E1 appears to enter parking mode after having the vehicle stationary for 5 minutes. Did you happen to get their hardwire kit to see how well it works?

Could you test if this applies to both motion detection and impact detection?
I just installed the DVR in my car today. I hope that over the weekend I will be able to test and clarify all the nuances.
According to the test result, I will supplement the branch with information and original videos...

I like, but i am not sure i would like the mounting solution.
But ! otherwise look nice and small.
Yes, it is very compact. Because of the rear-view mirror, you can’t see it at all from the driver’s seat. As if there is nothing.

Did you happen to get their hardwire kit to see how well it works?
I have a standard power supply.
4.2.3 Parking Mode(When the parking mode is turned on, the time-lapse video function will not work. These two functions cannot run at the same time). Parking Mode operates as a sentry function under different situations. You can switch to different parking monitoring modes according to different parking situations. After parking mode is turned on, there are two ways to record. You can wait for 5 minutes to rstart automatically, or long press the EVENT button to begin manually. NOTE: 1. To ensure the camera works properly in park mode, please use the hardwire kits or other stable and continuous power supply to power the dash cam. 2. The E1 operating environment temperature is 14°F to 158°F (-10°C to 70°C). We recommend selecting Collision Detection within this temperature range, as it will automatically turn off once the temperature exceeds the normal operating temperature range. If the temperature outside is high, turn off the camera when parking. 3. Time-lapse video recording and parking mode (including collision detection, motion detection, low bit rate recording, and low framerate mode) can only be enabled one at a time. When one is enabled, the other will be automatically disabled. 4. All videos in parking mode(Collison Detection, Motion Detection, Low Bitrate Recording, Low Framerate mode) will be saved in the normal folder. In order to prevent the video in parking mode from being overwritten in a loop, please check and save the required files in time to prevent loss.

Last edited:
The Vantrue E1 website page states that you should use the Vantrue hardwire kit for parking mode. It's a 2-wire kit with a fixed 11.6V/11.4V (according their website in 12-volt mode) which seems quite low. The E1 appears to enter parking mode after having the vehicle stationary for 5 minutes. Did you happen to get their hardwire kit to see how well it works?
The Vantrue website description of the hardwire kit was incorrect with regard to the low voltage cutoff values. Their 2-wire hardwire kit is compatible with 12-volt and 24-volt systems with two user selectable values of 12.0V/24.0V and 11.6V/23.2V.
1657995404065.png

Night - 2560x1440p 30fps HDR+СPL-filter:
https://cloud.mail.ru/public/RSCt/s9TAFrsgW
For this resolution, the video is not enough bitrate.
The numbers of oncoming cars on this trip could not be recognized.
The Polish comrades have a more effective video...

N.B. In night video, every third frame is duplicated.
This is noticeable even to the naked eye.
There are no duplicate frames in the daytime video.

Last edited:
Started experimenting with firmware...
I increased the bitrate value in the first three video resolutions, changed the day and night
gamma curves, adjusted the metering table, slightly changed the noise reduction and detail settings,
compensated for the brightness component, reduced the contrast, and so on.
Based on the result, let's see what and how to change in the parameters...

This is the first comparison test. These parameters are not final...)
ISO+NR+Sharpness
ISO+NR+Sharpness.jpg

Last edited:
How is the heat dissapation of this cute little guy?
Do you think it will handle a future update to 60fps at 2560x1440, (2K@60fps)?
-Chuck

How is the heat dissapation of this cute little guy?
I wanted to disassemble the gadget to have a look, but left that for later.
I need to think about how to do it to break anything. During the day of trips,
when in the sun, it heated up within the acceptable range.
Do you think it will handle a future update to 60fps at 2560x1440, (2K@60fps)?
You need to look at the datasheets for the processor and sensor.
They did 4K on similar hardware, but this will be a fake resolution.
Is it possible to implement 1440p 60 frames on this hardware, I don't know for sure...
2560x1080p 60fps resolution can be implemented, as far as I know.

Last edited:
If someone has a desire to test a modified version* of the firmware based on the official version of EBG-311,
write me in a personal message. I don't have the opportunity to test night shooting right now. Need help with this.

*The firmware has been personally tested by me for operability. Installing a modified firmware
version is done solely at your own risk. The author of the firmware and the manufacturer
are not responsible for any problems during installation and use.

This is operational work!
Already updated the app four times and updated the firmware six times!

CHANGELOG:

E1_VT-EBH0182 (2022-08-18)
1. Solved the problem that the recording angles in parking mode and normal recording are inconsistent
2. In Spanish, change the word Sobre to Encendido
3. Optimize the stability of the connection between WIFI and APP
4. Optimize the GPS and parking mode issue
5. Fix icon issue

E1_VT-EBH091 (2022-08-09)
1. Added Pstore function and fix the problem of abnormal shutdown settings
2. Fix the abnormal display of the mute icon
3. Change the Wi-Fi interface to a transparent background

E1_VT-EBH031 (2022-08-03)
1. Add prompt ICON for button
2. Optimize the Wi-Fi driver
3. After Wi-Fi is turned on, remote control will be shield to increase the stability of Wi-Fi

E1_VT-EBG311 (2022-07-31)
1. Added prompt icon of button function
2. Optimized the writing speed of SD card
3. Optimized the screen saver function

E1_VT-EBG261 (2022-07-26)
Fix some bugs in GPS display

E1 VT-EBG141 (20220714)

Back