Vantrue E360 Dashcam Review

Rollingrock

New Member
Joined
Oct 25, 2024
Messages
17
Reaction score
11
Location
Pagosa Springs
Country
United States
Like Betamax_man, I received the same kit. Main camera and rear and hand held in one box, the hardwire kit in another and a packaged 128GB SSD card.

In reviewing and installing the Vantrue E360 Dashcam which was installed it in a 2024 GMC 1500 truck. I did install the hardwire kit as I really wanted to take advantage of the Parking Mode. The hardwire kit had four different size fuses with two of each. The newer vehicles have several three pronged fuses, called Micro3 fuses. They were much more open than the wire on one side fuses that came in the hardwire kit. I would suggest that these be included in future hardwire kits.

If you are not hardwiring the dashcam in, then you would use the included power cord with a cigarette lighter connection at one end. Most newer vehicles don’t have a cigarette lighter included anymore. I would suggest that the cord be separate from the cigarette lighter (CL) and have a USB-A connector which would plug into the CL connection. That way, if you have a newer vehicle without a CL, you can simply unplug the CL and plug the end into an available USB-A for power. USB-C’s don’t usually have enough power to operate a DC. As newer vehicles become more prevalent, then this is easily addressed by my suggestion to meet the needs of the older and newer vehicles.

One other item is the rear camera. The camera is made to mount on a sloping rear window. My truck has a vertical rear window. In order for the rear camera to show the vehicle behind mine, I had to remove/grind off a section of angular plastic so the RDC would be angled correctly. Once I did this, it mounted perfectly and was a great addition.

Other than these minor issues, the install went well and was easy.

Once I had it mounted and installed the app, it connected to my phone and downloaded the latest firmware. FYI, my truck has Android Auto and you need to turn that off so your phone will connect to the DC. I assume that Apple Car Play is similar but not sure as I don’t use it.

Setting the DC up was quick and intuitive. One thing I found was that when you set Parking Mode up, it has four different options; Collision Detection, Motion Detection, Low Bitrate Mode and Low Framerate Mode. You can only set one. Say you select Collision Detection, the other 3 options are turned off automatically. From a newbie's perspective, the user manual could be a little clearer and go into more detail, ie like the Parking Mode and if 1 or 5 on the Collision Mode is more sensitive. Like I said, maybe this is all second nature to a lot of you that live and breathe this all the time.

I was only able to set up Parking Mode with the phone app. Every time I tried to set it up with the DC, I got a display message that wouldn’t let me continue. I took a picture of it and if anyone else came across this or know how to fix this, please let me know. Luckily enough, the app allowed me to do this.


Message when turning on Parking Mode via DC.webp


I've emailed Vantrue so they are aware of this issue and are looking into it.


Here are a few videos that I took. Note that all the videos have HDR turned off. They are as follows:

Fish Eye front, Fish Eye Cabin are 1944P:

and Rear is 1440P:

Front 1944P:

Cabin 1944P:

Rear 1944P:

The videos turned out well I think and I like the range of the cabin Fish Eye as it shows more of the sides

I’ve also included a couple of photos that I took.
Front Camera Picture.webp

Rear Camera Picture.webp



I apologize in advance as I am not as sophisticated as a lot of you are on here.
Despite some issues with the Vantrue E360 DC, I am pleased with the install, ease if setting it up and use so far.

Thanks!
 
I was only able to set up Parking Mode with the phone app. Every time I tried to set it up with the DC, I got a display message that wouldn’t let me continue. I took a picture of it and if anyone else came across this or know how to fix this, please let me know. Luckily enough, the app allowed me to do this.
That message pops up every time you go into the menu to select a parking mode. I think you can just tap on the message then continue to choose your desired parking mode?
 
That message pops up every time you go into the menu to select a parking mode. I think you can just tap on the message then continue to choose your desired parking mode?
I thought I tapped it but I will try again and make sure I do tap the message. No idea where this message comes from as it knows exactly where I am and I'm definitely not in a summer exposure environment here is SW Colorado! Thanks for the suggestion!
 
I don't think the message has anything to do with your location. It's just programmed to warn you about leaving the camera running in a continuous recording mode in a hot car.
 
I don't think the message has anything to do with your location. It's just programmed to warn you about leaving the camera running in a continuous recording mode in a hot car.
I thought the Parking Mode on Collision or Motion mode only turned on if a collision or Motion was detected. Otherwise the DC was in sleep mode until it was awakened.
 
I thought the Parking Mode on Collision or Motion mode only turned on if a collision or Motion was detected. Otherwise the DC was in sleep mode until it was awakened.
In collision detection mode, the sensor is off and the E360 relies on the g-sensor to wake it up. This is the lowest power consumption option, and thus the lowest heat generated.

In motion detection mode, the sensor is on and the E360 is checking for movement all the time but not recording. This consumes as much power as when the camera is in normal recording mode.

You can see my power consumption test results here: https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/review-vantrue-e360-ace-lt01-360°-dashcam-4g-lte-module.52407/post-633588

1741337375237.webp


1741337410746.webp
 
Last edited:
In collision detection mode, the sensor is off and the E360 relies on the g-sensor to wake it up. This is the lowest power consumption option, and thus the lowest heat generated.

In motion detection mode, the sensor is on and the E360 is checking for movement all the time but not recording. This consumes as much power as when the camera is in normal recording mode.

You can see my power consumption test results here: https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/review-vantrue-e360-ace-lt01-360°-dashcam-4g-lte-module.52407/post-633588

View attachment 78381

View attachment 78382
Thanks for sharing this! I definitely need to change my parking mode to Collision Detection and then adjust it to Power Savings.
 
Thanks for sharing this! I definitely need to change my parking mode to Collision Detection and then adjust it to Power Savings.
Just be aware that the E360 takes 17 seconds to start recording after the collision is detected using the power saving mode. You get loads of battery life, but it might not record quick enough depending on the situation.
 
Just be aware that the E360 takes 17 seconds to start recording after the collision is detected using the power saving mode. You get loads of battery life, but it might not record quick enough depending on the situation.
Like you said, 17 seconds. At that length of time, most people who bump your vehicle are long gone by then. I had previously read your review that you posted a link to but it makes much more sense now that I have the E360. I have it hardwired to my truck's battery. Mainly I am looking for parking mode while I am overnight at hotel. Do you have a conversion from your 96 Wh battery to a regular 12V vehicle battery? I can then equate your 96Wh battery runtimes to my 12V truck battery that I have set the low voltage cut off at 12V? Thanks for researching this and sharing it with everyone. Also, I typically have the cabin camera off with just the front and rear camera activated. Does the cabin and rear camera use about the same electricity?
 
Last edited:
Back
Top