Vantrue N4 Hardware - Dashcam not powering on with vehicle

garthand

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a Vantrue N4 that I had professionally installed via the Vantrue hardwire kit on my 2021 Prius. Everything worked great for the first six months, but then it stopped reliably turning on when I started the car. I could still manually turn the dashcam on, and every once in a blue moon it would turn on with the car.

I bought another hardwire kit and had the old kit replaced with the new one in case there was a short or something. That didn't fix the issue, so I tried getting a new N4 and a new SD card as well, but the issue persists. The fuses look intact, and I have it installed in fuse slot 26 (15A RADIO – Audio system, monitor, navigation). The firmware is also up to date. When I have it plugged in via the cigarette lighter, the dashcam starts when the car powers on as expected, but I was hoping to hardwire it because it looks better (the wire is hidden in the paneling) and so that I can use the parking mode, which requires an always-on fuse.

At this point I've replaced every part of the dashcam setup except the vehicle itself, and still have the problem where the camera only turns on when I manually power it on or immediately after unplugging it and plugging it back in.

Does anyone have any idea what might be wrong? Is there another slot that I should be using that will start the dashcam when the car powers on as well as allowing me to use parking mode? Feel like I'm losing my mind a little...

Back