Vantrue N4 Pro (unboxing and first impressions) (Novatek NT98529, Sony IMX678, GPS, dual-band WiFi, 4k front + 1080p cabin + 1080p rear)

Agie

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Dash Cam
70mai S500, A229 Pro, VS1, Nexus 4 Pro, S1 Pro, A119 v3v2v1
After a six-year absence, I'm back with another dashcam review. Feels good to be back and hope all of you are doing well :). @Jeff_Vantrue was kind enough to send through the Vantrue Nexus 4 Pro for me to put this device through it's paces. There are plenty of very well-written reviews already, you know the specs, you know Vantrue, so I'll save this first post for my perspectives setting up a new camera for the first time in aeons. I'll also try and look at the device through the lens of a first-time dashcam buyer and what they may go through when setting up for the first time.

The first thing that struck me about this dashcam was it's ease of use and friendly packaging. While the unit and box itself are large, it doesn't feel unwieldy in the hand either. Nestled in the protective foam are the units themselves, along with a separate box for the (optional) CPL filter (to reduce glare and reflections in bright conditions). I like that Vantrue has also given clear thought to possible pitfalls in the installation process with clear diagrams on the packaging and instructions. Also handy is the plastic pry tool to assist in the cabling installation process, and the extra USB port on the car-charger is also a welcome addition. All-in-all, a decent load-out when it comes to the box contents and certain to make any non-tech-savvy person comfortable with the installation of their new dash camera.

The front/cabin and rear cameras themselves feel premium in the hand, although there is one big elephant in the room and that is the inclusion of the 3.19inch IPS LCD screen on the unit. For me personally, I've welcomed screens on dash cameras as it makes the setup process a lot easier, although I can see why some users may find this a problem as it is a long screen that makes the unit seemingly bigger than it needs to be. For me though it's a non-issue, except in the usage where I need to put the sunshade up in my car on a hot day, and I'm finding that takes a bit longer to fold behind the front camera itself as it juts out a fair bit. I'm also glad that the connections of the cameras use USB-C, as we are firmly in a USB-C world and we no longer have to deal with fiddly micro or mini-USB connections.

Setting up the cameras themselves were a breeze, as the included cable was more than long enough for my neatly-tucked-away install, and connection via the Vantrue app (available on both iOS and Android) was quick and flawless. Firmware updates were prompted to me to be installed, and this took no longer than a couple of minutes to perform. After a few more minutes adjusting the angle of the dash cameras to fit my windscreens, and to change the user-configurable settings, I was on my way.

I look forward to testing the Nexus 4 Pro properly in the coming weeks, and the thing that stood out to me the most was that this was one of the fastest dashcam installs I've ever performed. This could be because I have been out of the game for so long, and dashcam technology (and features) have improved leaps and bounds, but I remember the days when getting a dashcam set-up took way longer than one would have wanted. This is my first introduction to Vantrue products, and I'm excited to see what's next.

Some close-up photos of the Vantrue N4 Pro dashcam:

1693807504431.jpeg

1693807504429.jpeg

1693807504424.jpeg

1693807504422.jpg

1693807504443.jpeg

1693807504440.jpeg

1693807504437.jpeg

1693807504434.jpeg

I just got my N4 Pro in the mail today and initial impressions, I agree with your findings. The packaging and build quality feel top notch. It's a big dashcam, bigger than I was expecting, but I like the UI as well as little things like how it stops recording for you when you ask the app to load your settings and that you can update your firmware via the app. Very convenient little touches. HDR works on all 3 cams, but there's not time-based AutoHDR. I gotta read the manual now to learn about some details like the privacy mode.

I just got my N4 Pro in the mail today and initial impressions, I agree with your findings. The packaging and build quality feel top notch. It's a big dashcam, bigger than I was expecting, but I like the UI as well as little things like how it stops recording for you when you ask the app to load your settings and that you can update your firmware via the app. Very convenient little touches. HDR works on all 3 cams, but there's not time-based AutoHDR. I gotta read the manual now to learn about some details like the privacy mode.
Privacy mode only saves the last 3, non-locked videos; I was wondering about that too when I got mine.

Timer based HDR, and or an HDR trigger based on exposure seem to be the functional adjustments people are looking for. Outside of bug fixes.

Looking forward to your video review and welcome to the club mate :). Wonder if you'll come across the dreaded rear camera issue too :/.

I see that there are other models in the Vantrue stable that have AutoHDR, so wondering too if they'll add that in future. I see that even though they're not speaking to a bunch of us here on DCT anymore, they are sorting out all the bugs we've reported! Which is something at least haha :)

Privacy mode only saves the last 3, non-locked videos; I was wondering about that too when I got mine.

Timer based HDR, and or an HDR trigger based on exposure seem to be the functional adjustments people are looking for. Outside of bug fixes.
Sweet thank you for letting us know about Privacy Mode cos I was scratching my head on that one, but good to know it works

I think the use of the rather pitiful GalaxyCore GC2093 for the rear and interior cabin cameras was a poor choice. Usable, yes, but they could have used something a little better even if it was an older Sony sensor.

Maybe we'll see that on the updated Nexus 4 Pro Plus Max LoLz

Vantrue Nexus 4 Pro Firmware Update
  • Release time: 2024-01-15 11:58:44
  • Version: N4P_VT-EDA101
  • File size: 38M

Changelog:
  • Fixed some bugs
  • The system default time has been updated to January 1, 2024

Vantrue Nexus 4 Pro Firmware Update
  • Release time: 2024-02-18 11:58:44
  • Version: N4P_VT-EDB181
  • File size: 38M

Changelog:
  • Resolve the issue of 'backup data error causing voice activation failure after upgrade'

It appears that the Nexus 4 Pro will soon receive support to work with the new LT01 LTE Box from Vantrue. Cannot wait :)

Screenshot_20240605-145417.png

Received the RC04 rear camera replacement and from my quick testing, appears the focus issues have largely been resolved.

Looking forward to seeing what the new E360 and N2X models from Vantrue will bring to the table in the near future.

IMG_20240607_065645927.jpg
IMG_20240607_065658734.jpg

The RC04 rear camera module for the S1 Pro / Nexus 4 Pro has received a firmware update, the first since December 2023.

Vantrue RC04 Firmware Update

Release date: 2024-06-07 17:48:45
Version: RC04_VT-EDA121
File size: 1.79M

Changelog:

Compatible with the LT01 LTE module and the Vantrue Connected app

Back