Vantrue N5 Impression

runtohell121

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Viofo & Vantrue - too many to list
Thanks for @Vantrue Dash Cam for sending this to try out!

Initial impression - build quality is nice and sturdy, as with most of the Vantrue dash cams. The main unit is on the bigger side than what I expected, so it will stick out on smaller cars. Haven't really had a chance to drive with it yet, but I will be powering it via power bank until I can find an adapter for the USB-C port, as the port on the mount is for low profile USB-C cables only; can't fit the one I was previously using in my Vantrue E3.

Main camera - unlike the Vantrue E3, the front facing camera cannot swivel. The interior facing camera can rotate up and down, but also isn't adjustment, though I don't think Vantrue ever had an adjustment interior camera as the only company that had an adjustable interior camera was from Viofo, their T130. It is quite interesting that the power button functions as the cover for the memory card slot and the cover is magnetic.

Rear camera - wish it had more rotating ability as the current angles for recording the interior is a little to low, at least for my Tesla Model 3. The outward facing camera has good adjustments.

Image of box:
IMG_0746.jpeg

Main unit:
IMG_0749.jpegIMG_0754.jpeg

Rear unit (+instruction/disclosure for rear unit):
IMG_0751.jpegIMG_0752.jpeg

Accessories/mount:
IMG_0757.jpegIMG_0762.jpeg

Installed - not permanent solution, just temporary solution with vhb tape; sticking to my infotainment... We shall see how long until it falls off and how shaky it might be lol
IMG_0764.jpegIMG_0765.jpegIMG_0766.jpeg

Sample videos to come as I drive over this weekend.

Wondering how it will fit in the rear of my car, which have a vertical rear window. BUT ! i assume your "problem" are related to the slope of your rear window, i am at the other side of the scale but might also have a problem if "throw" of interior camera are not enough.

I am inclined to put a N5 style camera on the L side of my dotted " island " in front of the mirror, then the forward camera can peek out to the side of the dotted area where it normally peek out below when using wedge shaped cameras.
I could of course put the N5 below the share area, but then practically all of the camera would be visible, and that also dont matter for me as many cameras on the windscreen have the same stealth ruining effect, but i try to always think as the person getting 1 system for his / her car.
When i tested the viofo T130 also a 2 in 1 front unit i put that very much Left, aside for a few inches almost right in front of the driver.

Wondering how it will fit in the rear of my car, which have a vertical rear window. BUT ! i assume your "problem" are related to the slope of your rear window, i am at the other side of the scale but might also have a problem if "throw" of interior camera are not enough.

I am inclined to put a N5 style camera on the L side of my dotted " island " in front of the mirror, then the forward camera can peek out to the side of the dotted area where it normally peek out below when using wedge shaped cameras.
I could of course put the N5 below the share area, but then practically all of the camera would be visible, and that also dont matter for me as many cameras on the windscreen have the same stealth ruining effect, but i try to always think as the person getting 1 system for his / her car.
When i tested the viofo T130 also a 2 in 1 front unit i put that very much Left, aside for a few inches almost right in front of the driver.

Correct - the rear is too slope. I guess can can somewhat hack it by having some plastic angle/wedges to help compensate the vehicle, as I remember with some older Viofo dash cams, they come with different mounts or something...

Here's the view from the Vantrue N5 based on where I mounted it. The rear camera seems a bit blurry - might need to double check to ensure I peeled the film that covered the lens lol
Screenshot 2023-05-13 at 7.56.17 PM.png
Screenshot 2023-05-13 at 7.56.36 PM.png
Screenshot 2023-05-13 at 7.56.51 PM.png
Screenshot 2023-05-13 at 7.57.10 PM.png

And some sample footage at the parking lot - one is normal mode (1 min) and the other is parking mode (low bitrate, 3 min clips):

Normal recording; default settings (1944p front 30fps, 1080p interior/rear)

Parking mode - low bitrate

Very nice.
Does in record in H.264, or H.265 Codec?
Or both?
How loose is the mount?
Does it rattle like my E1?
-Chuck

Very nice.
Does in record in H.264, or H.265 Codec?
Or both?
How loose is the mount?
Does it rattle like my E1?
-Chuck

Not sure how I can tell if it's H.264 or H.265... I think HEVC = H.265 right?
Mount doesn't feel loose, but I don't really use it since it's double sided taped to my Tesla's screen... It's really just hanging there - so I can't comment if it rattles either.

Here's the video details:

Normal recording:
Normal Front.pngNormal Front Interior.pngNormal Rear Interior.pngNormal Rear.png

Parking Mode
Parking Front.pngParking Front Interior.pngParking Rear Interior.pngParking Rear.png

Not sure how I can tell if it's H.264 or H.265... I think HEVC = H.265 right?
Thanks for the reply.
Yes, H.265 is HEVC.
That's one of the reasons I passed on testing this camera.
I ran into this issue testing the Vanture E1, (also H.265).
I can't view / play the files on my computer so it makes testing, and working with the files difficult.
The only way I could view the footage was on my tiny iPhone SE screen.
I'm expecting @Dashmellow to come in here any minute, and tell us about H.265 again, (I love that guy). lol

Well i lost the encoding powers of my graphics card in the computer as it died, and the replacement card are not that strong in this.
Fortunately my 12 core CPU have some punching power in this too, so no big deal

But i doubt that right now my computer can handle tree 4K/60- 100 mbit videos at one time ( in H.265 ) with the old GFX card that was not a problem.

I might be forced to get a new GFX card later in the year

Here's local and highway driving video - didn't upload interior as I am camera shy ;)

City Driving
Front:
Rear:

Highway Driving
Front:
Rear:

didn't upload interior as I am camera shy ;)
Me too, I grew a beard just for interior test footage. lol
I just noticed you're right down the street from me, and @rcg530 we're in Sacramento.
-Chuck
IMG_0017.PNG

Last edited:
Not really camera shy as such, so testing interior cameras i dont mind.
But most times anything extra and a video or photos will be private so only people i share the link with can see, and i am OK if thats anyone that come in here.
But for sure i am not like the average social media user, and i am glad i dont have any kids or family that are.

Imagine walking in on your teen daughter and she is there in a skimpy outfit flexing in front of her phone,,,,,,, something like that would just destroy my mind i think.

Well.. my Viofo HK3-C kit crapped out after using it with the Vantrue N5 for about 1.5 days. Won't blame the Vantrue N5 for it - could be my wiring or just bad luck for the hardwire kit to fail after switching to the Vantrue N5. Been using the Viof HK3-C with the Vantrue E3 and Viofo A229 Duo for a good amount of time in my previous vehicle.

Hopefully the Viofo HK4 will last as I do not have any Vantrue hardwire kit laying around.

Well.. my Viofo HK3-C kit crapped out after using it with the Vantrue N5 for about 1.5 days. Won't blame the Vantrue N5 for it - could be my wiring or just bad luck for the hardwire kit to fail after switching to the Vantrue N5. Been using the Viof HK3-C with the Vantrue E3 and Viofo A229 Duo for a good amount of time in my previous vehicle.

Hopefully the Viofo HK4 will last as I do not have any Vantrue hardwire kit laying around.
Vantrue voltage display hardwire kit I can send it to you if you need it

Back