Video Playback

CoachBeard

Reaction score
Country
United States
I found an old thread about this but it didn't fully answer my question and I wasn't sure how you all feel about necrobumps. I have the A129 Pro Duo and finally had a reason to extract footage. The video plays just fine on my iphone but on my Mac it only plays properly on VLC. Quicktime and iMovie playback as if it is blinking every other frame which means I can't edit the videos (front and rear cameras) together. While VLC allows me to view it properly, is there a way to fix this for iMovie?

The camera is set to 4K 30FPS.

Are you running the latest firmware? I believe this has been fixed.

You might try a different video editing tool. For example: https://kdenlive.org/en/download/
That should at least be able to convert it to a format that iMovie can play.

You might try a different video editing tool. For example: https://kdenlive.org/en/download/
That should at least be able to convert it to a format that iMovie can play.
I'll have to find a different editing platform. kdenlive did not open on either of my Macs so I'll look for something else. It really shouldn't be this way, I should be able to just use iMovie like I have for years.

My firmware is up to date on the camera as well. This is frustrating on top of having to already do a warranty exchange the first week I had the camera.

I found an old thread about this but it didn't fully answer my question and I wasn't sure how you all feel about necrobumps. I have the A129 Pro Duo and finally had a reason to extract footage. The video plays just fine on my iphone but on my Mac it only plays properly on VLC. Quicktime and iMovie playback as if it is blinking every other frame which means I can't edit the videos (front and rear cameras) together. While VLC allows me to view it properly, is there a way to fix this for iMovie?

Just curious :how do you view footage on your iphone?

Just curious :how do you view footage on your iphone?
I connect the camera to the app and view footage then download it to my phone and review it there. The problems I have come from both connecting the SD card to my MacBook Air and Pro and also when I’ve emailed the clips from my phone. It’s quite odd.

iMovie has only been utilized on the computers I haven’t tried it on the phone yet because it is too small to edit there for me personally. Fat fingers.

I saw online posts saying the iphone photo app can view from the sd card adapter, but I can’t figure out how they do that. I was avoiding the Viofo app due to bad ratings, but it is worth a try.
Thank you!!!

Please long-press the MIC button to change the video codec on the camera to H.264, then record videos to test if they can be played normally on iMove and Quicktime.

Please long-press the MIC button to change the video codec on the camera to H.264, then record videos to test if they can be played normally on iMove and Quicktime.
I copied the instructions from an older post that were a bit more detailed:
How to Enable H.265 on the A119 v3

Press and hold the “Rec” button to stop recording
Press and hold the “Mic” button for 4 sec then let go
Press the “Menu” button
Press the center red “triangle !” button to choose the “Resolution” menu option

For those of you running the Viofo A129 Pro, you can follow the same process to enable H.265. You’ll know you did it right because once you exit the menu, there’ll be a memory card icon on the left side of the main screen.

I copied the instructions from an older post that were a bit more detailed:
How to Enable H.265 on the A119 v3

Press and hold the “Rec” button to stop recording
Press and hold the “Mic” button for 4 sec then let go
Press the “Menu” button
Press the center red “triangle !” button to choose the “Resolution” menu option

For those of you running the Viofo A129 Pro, you can follow the same process to enable H.265. You’ll know you did it right because once you exit the menu, there’ll be a memory card icon on the left side of the main screen.
I tried this and I assume it does not actually say "H.265" anywhere? I did see the SD card icon on the left however.

I tried this and I assume it does not actually say "H.265" anywhere? I did see the SD card icon on the left however.
The way to check is to record some video, play it back in VLC, select "Tools -> CODEC information" to see the compression format.
But yes, I don't believe the camera explicitly tells you anything about the CODEC.

The SD card icon means that you are recording videos with a codec at H.265. Please long press the MIC button. When the icon disappears, the codec is H.264 now. Then you can record and confirm if the new videos can be played on iMovie and Quicktime.

How old is your Mac and which macOS are you using. 4K HEVC (H.265) videos may not play in Quicktime if your Mac is too old. If this is the case I'd recommended switching to H.264 (if your firmware supports it), which is more universally readable.

Back