Viofo A119S locked Files are Overwritten.

Lucas Nuciari

Reaction score
Country
Argentina
Hi. My name is Lucas. I am From Argentina.
I have a Viofo A119S

I have a question.

When the memory is full, files that are not protected are overwritten. It is ok

When I protect a file, this file is saved in the "RO" folder and will be protected against overwrite.

The problem is that after a certain amount of files in the RO folder, the protected files are also overwritten ...
But, there is still a lot of memory to overwrite unprotected files ... Why do you start overwriting protected files?
How does file memory really work?
I have lost important material to this problem.

Example:

With a 32GB card, I can have

- 98 files of 2 minutes each without protection. (RO folder, 0 files)
- 97 files of 2 minutes each without protection and 1 files in Ro Folder.
- And so on ...

96 and 2
95 and 3
94 and 4
93 and 5
etc etc

But in a moment, for example

50 unprotected files and 49 files protected in RO folder, protected files are overwritten each time the button is pressed to protect a new file. But in memory there are still a lot of unprotected files to overwrite and result in new protected files ...

Why this happens?
How does the memory system actually work?
What is the maximum memory capacity for protected files?

Why is not there a full memory prompt before I start overwriting protected files?

I have lost important material to this problem.

My English is not very good but I hope you understand my query.

Thank you

there will be a limit to the amount of protected files for practical reasons, you need to review them occasionally

there will be a limit to the amount of protected files for practical reasons, you need to review them occasionally

Yes, I know.

But I need to know how this works.
On a trip through the USA I lost many files I wanted to keep.

It is necessary that the system warns "memory full" before starting to overwrite the files.

It is necessary that the system warns "memory full" before starting to overwrite the files.

can't do that, it's not a bottomless storage system, if you just kept saving RO files it would eventually have an issue with normal files, if you're saving that many files it's unreasonable to expect you can just keep doing that and not copy them off in a reasonable time frame

get a bigger card, like 128gb.

I have a Bigger Card too but this is not the Solution.
The 32Gb card is only for exaple. I use a 64Gb card and lost locked files too...

But I need to know how this works.

can't do that, it's not a bottomless storage system, if you just kept saving RO files it would eventually have an issue with normal files, if you're saving that many files it's unreasonable to expect you can just keep doing that and not copy them off in a reasonable time frame

I am a 4x4 off roader. In moab trils I full the 64 Gb memory card in one day. I lost important files...

I think that is necessary that the system warns "memory full" before starting to overwrite the files.

I think that is necessary that the system warns "memory full" before starting to overwrite the files.

can't do that

I am a 4x4 off roader. In moab trils I full the 64 Gb memory card in one day. I lost important files...

would give you around 8 hours worth of recording, if you're doing more driving than that in a day then go with a bigger memory card

can't do that

Why not? Sounds like a good idea to me ... to hear 'Memory Full' ... as a reminder before overwriting... just incase you need to review anything.

Of course, if you know it at the time, you can just press the red button to save it

Hang on ... I must be on a different page here? I mean after the 64 or 128GB card is full .... not the 1,3,5 minute clip
I could handle hearing 'memory full' once after each 8 hours of driving.

Edit: ooops ... 'locked files' in the title ... ok ... I am on a different page... apologies :D
In the 'Normal' files would be handy

Last edited:
Hang on ... am I on a different page here? I mean after the 64 or 128GB card is full .... not the 1,3,5 minute clip
I could handle hearing 'memory full' once after each 8 hours of driving.

full is full, you're not going to be able to differentiate and so what is meant to happen when it gives this warning, stop recording, recycle anyway, and keep warning you with every new file?

the camera is being used in a situation it wasn't designed for and it's an unreasonable expectation rather than any type of fault, there's ample time to copy files off when using large cards

@jokiin.

I just made an account to tell you that you were being a real dick in this thread. I hope you've changed.

As a representative of the manufacturer you should be far more open to ideas and not treat customers like they're idiots.

Lucas and Moon provided a great idea, that really have ought to have been implemented. Just have the warning once when the camera is first turned on. You know it doesn't have to be every three minutes.

I'm a bit annoyed cause I've lost about a month's worth of locked recordings as I had no idea they were being overwritten.

the camera is being used in a situation it wasn't designed for

Now that's just bull****. Plenty of people have to drive for 8 hours in a day. If you haven't accounted for that then you have messed up as a manufacturer.

• Love
Reactions: EGS
I'm a bit annoyed cause I've lost about a month's worth of locked recordings as I had no idea they were being overwritten.
And what about the fact that you did not know how this works? After all, the recordings are already lost anyway, why express your annoyance here, just because 'you thought so'. Dash is not a surveillance camera with an archive of recordings for a whole month (no matter how you want it, but it is), but even there the memory is limited and recording will simply stop. They gave you advice - apply a larger volume map, but you don’t even want to listen to anything.

A car is a dynamic tool and the road is movement, not moving boxes in a warehouse and installing cameras in all corners of your warehouse to monitor thieves.

PS: but to hang up labels and get personal just because you don’t know how to use the equipment and don’t want to read the manual before using it, I think this is more likely your problem.
You had to ask a question to the technical support of the manufacturer on their website, if you planned to store records an unlimited number of video files for an unlimited time, you should be guided by common sense and not emotions.

And what about the fact that you did not know how this works? After all, the recordings are already lost anyway, why express your annoyance here, just because 'you thought so'. Dash is not a surveillance camera with an archive of recordings for a whole month (no matter how you want it, but it is), but even there the memory is limited and recording will simply stop. They gave you advice - apply a larger volume map, but you don’t even want to listen to anything.

A car is a dynamic tool and the road is movement, not moving boxes in a warehouse and installing cameras in all corners of your warehouse to monitor thieves.

PS: but to hang up labels and get personal just because you don’t know how to use the equipment and don’t want to read the manual before using it, I think this is more likely your problem.
You had to ask a question to the technical support of the manufacturer on their website, if you planned to store records an unlimited number of video files for an unlimited time, you should be guided by common sense and not emotions.

Well said bro !!

Back