Viofo A129 Duo questions

mac2

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just changed my car and I'm looking to replace my Nextbase 412 with a dual system. The Viofo seems very well regarded on this forum so I just wanted to ask a couple of questions before ordering.

1. Is it worth getting the polarizing filters for both the front and rear cams?

2. Viofo are selling Integral Security SD cards on their UK site. Is this card OK or is there a better card to get?

3. I have a VW Tiguan and there are reports on VW forums of DAB Radio issues with some rear cams so is anyone aware of these issues with Viofo?

4. Is there a better dual system I should consider at about the same price?

Welcome to the forum.

For the front it is a must, for the rear not so much in regard to reflection issues in your own car, but a CPL on the rear camera will do wonders for sky reflections in the windscreen of thecar behind,,,,, then again you should not worry about if the person back there are on the phone or not.
I do have a CPL on my rear camera, but only as i had it in surplus and it fit the camera there, i would not go out and buy a CPL for that job.

DAB and SAT radio issues are a problem ( with any dashcam as far as i know ), for the most they are due to the routing of the rear camera wire, or the fact the antenna for these can be in the rear window.
I am not sure if a camera like the Viofo A139 ( also available in a 2 channel version ) are any different with its use of a coaxial cable VS the thicker USB cables that is generally used for rear cameras.

For sure installing a system, you would want to try different routes for the rear camera wire, by just temporarily route the cable along the planned route or as close to that route as you can. Do so by loosely propping cable in under rubber seals / headliner / roof mounted grab handles ASO, then turn on car / dashcam / radio to see if the route are better or worse

Unsure if the Tiguan are small enough you could route the wire down low in the car along the floor / panels, that might also be worth a try if it is possible.

I dont even listen to FM radio, actually the antenne on my roof have not been mounted for 4 years or so, i wash my car too often ( flat rate subscription for car wash ) so i can not be bothered with that antenna.

3. I have a VW Tiguan and there are reports on VW forums of DAB Radio issues with some rear cams so is anyone aware of these issues with Viofo?
Does DAB radio reception depend on the make of the car? In my opinion, radio reception depends on the strength of the signal and the remoteness of the DAB station.
I have T130 3 channel version installed in my car and only the distance to the DAB station affects DAB radio reception. The farther the worse.

Does DAB radio reception depend on the make of the car?
It depends on the quality of the DAB antenna fitted to the car, many car manufacturers use wires printed on the rear window which is not great for reception, only for the cost!

only the distance to the DAB station affects DAB radio reception.
All dashcams will add a little interference, which will reduce the distance, so in places with poor reception you may lose the signal completely, whereas in places with reasonable reception there will not be an issue.

I am not sure if a camera like the Viofo A139 ( also available in a 2 channel version ) are any different with its use of a coaxial cable VS the thicker USB cables that is generally used for rear cameras.
I've not heard of any problems using the A139 with its coax cable, it is supposed to be better, but it is also quite likely that people are installing the cable further away from the antenna cable because it is so much easier to tuck it under the edge of the trim panels.

Viofo have enough experience of these problems that the recent cameras have learned all the lessons and are well designed and well tested, including for the RF noise issues, so if you are worried then I suggest getting one of the newer cameras, not the oldest available. There have not been many posts here about DAB radio problems recently, there did used to be quite a few a few years ago.

Thanks for all the information in your replies so far.

I believe that the Tiguan uses the heated rear windscreen wires as the antenna and the DAB amplifier is located nearby.

Back