Viofo A229 Pro Tesla model 3 how to deal with parking mode

dashcams

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm looking for advice on what to do because 512GB can only take about 15-20 hours. Currently record while driving and I activate sentry mode which also keeps the dash camera on. But wondering how and if possible to make the camera enter parking mode. The Tesla will keep constant same power to the USB outlet regardless of driving or parked so the dash cam has no way of knowing. If not, any way to have constant motion detection on so that way it will record always when driving but when nothing is moving like during parking, the memory card won't waste space.

Viofo should go to parking mode after certain time of inactivity.

For actual parking mode via hardwire kit, you will need to hardwire it by tapping some wires through the kick panel area if I recall, which is not the best option to do so in a Tesla.

The alternative would be to spend ~$200-$300 on a dash cam specific battery, like Thinkware iVolt or Blackvue B-130X and use the cigarette outlet to charge the battery pack and hardwire the dash cam to the battery pack. You will then need to disable sentry mode on your Tesla in order for the car to 'sleep' and turn off power to USB/cigarette outlet (usually about 5-10 min with sentry disabled).

That's essentially how I have it setup in our Tesla Model Y.

I think it's not good to install a battery pack inside a Tesla. It can run for days. If you have anything happen you'll get notification. Installing a separate battery to turn off sentry means you get no notifications. And you miss out extra angles as well as redundancy. And instead increase the chance of a fire inside the car.
Hardwire would only work if it turns off by disabled sentry.

I thought Viofo will go into parking mode if it detected the hardwire or battery voltage change... Interesting. How would it know the difference between driving and parking?

Back