Viofo A229 Pro & Viofo RTC300 Telephoto Camera

tstaff

Reaction score
Country
United States
So I'm hoping that someone can shed some light on something for me. I was seriously considering purchasing the A229 Pro 3 channel and the RTC300 telephoto camera so that I could have the regular wide angle camera on the 229 main unit, the telephoto camera to better ensure that license plates are legible and the rear camera since getting hit from behind is pretty common around here (between my wife and I we've been rear-ended 5 times in 10 years). However, in looking of what it states on Viofo's page on the RTC300, it states that the RTC300 will take up the port used by the rear camera. So am I understanding correctly that if I want to use the telephoto camera, I have to forgo the rear camera even on a 3 channel A229 Pro?

So I'm hoping that someone can shed some light on something for me. I was seriously considering purchasing the A229 Pro 3 channel and the RTC300 telephoto camera so that I could have the regular wide angle camera on the 229 main unit, the telephoto camera to better ensure that license plates are legible and the rear camera since getting hit from behind is pretty common around here (between my wife and I we've been rear-ended 5 times in 10 years). However, in looking of what it states on Viofo's page on the RTC300, it states that the RTC300 will take up the port used by the rear camera. So am I understanding correctly that if I want to use the telephoto camera, I have to forgo the rear camera even on a 3 channel A229 Pro?
You have summed it pretty good.
It uses the rear camera port for the zoom lens.

I think I read somewhere they did this because after internal testing found the interior camera port is not ideal.
I have suggested they also allow the interior camera to be used as the rear camera but they advise it wasn't designed for it focus etc, I guess.

So am I understanding correctly that if I want to use the telephoto camera, I have to forgo the rear camera even on a 3 channel A229 Pro?
There is supposed to be a new rear camera coming that will plug into the interior camera port, so you can forgo the interior camera instead. It will only be FHD resolution like the interior instead of 2K, but that is normally adequate to record rear impacts, the other car normally gets quite close!

Alternatively, you could have a separate single channel dashcam for the rear, maybe an old camera that you are upgrading.

Reactions: Mtz
Back