Viofo App getting GPS coordinates back to front

wrackGaggle

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Hi All

Fab amount of knowledge here, long time lurker but I need some help now so hopefully someone can point me in the right direction.

I have a A119 mini and downloaded some video to the app on my android phone for the first time last night. I noticed that the GPS coordinates are correct on the video displayed but the route that the app 'maps' over the map in the app is wrong.

I first noticed because i made a large sweeping U-Turn to the right in my car, but the line rendered on the map made a sweeping turn to the left. I am located in Ireland but the app had me in Germany. It is as if the app has got Longitudevalue back to front.

Example, video shows N53 W9 but the app maps the route to N53 E0 (over Germany). It is like the app is expecting a '-9' value to define which side of the prime meridian it is (west in this case) but is getting a '9'.

I can't see any settings in the app that i need to change.

Has anyone seen this before? Are there any other apps (Android or Windows PC) that the video can be played through to determine if the app is at fault or if the wrong metadata is being embedded into the video files?

Thanks!

Has anyone seen this before? Are there any other apps (Android or Windows PC) that the video can be played through to determine if the app is at fault or if the wrong metadata is being embedded into the video files?

I literally just tried the very same app after downloading and installing more than i'd like to admit :)

Happy to say that the metadata in the video files must be correct as playing the video on Dashcam Viewer does indeed show the correct position on a map. I guess Viofo have a bug in their android app.

Their APP probably have not been tweaked yet to support the new cameras. ( A229 and A119 mini )

Makes sense. I actually think that the Dashcam Viewer program on the PC is great so will probably stick with that anyway. It did amuse me that it asks you to download the K-Lite codec pack. Been many yesrs since i did such a thing :).

Thanks for the responses guys, especially to @Panzer Platform , @DrekiTech , @Vortex Radar and @rcg530 for their amazing writeups and youtube videos. Made making my first dashcam camera choice so much easier. (y)

Reactions: gse
Dashcam Viewer program had no problems with the A119 mini for me. It was the first program i found that would work correctly with the GPS data. I think its excellent.

The viofo app is the buggy one in my experience.

Dashcam Viewer program had no problems with the A119 mini for me. It was the first program i found that would work correctly with the GPS data. I think its excellent.
I know. This program has not caused me any problems with the Mini since the release of the A119 Mini.
Mini.jpg

well when it come to APPS or dedicated dashcam players i am at a loss, i dont use any of them.

There still are about 20 APPs on my phone i wish i could delete, mostly xiaomi APPs but even some of googles own stuff coming with android i would like to not have on my devise as i dont use them.

Back