Viofo HK3 kit / dashcam does not power-on automatically after voltage cut-off

duffysuppy

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi all,

I have a A119v3 connected via the HK3 hardwire kit since early Feb-22.

The dashcam was operating normally (in both driving and parking modes) for over a month so I'm pretty comfortable that all the wirings were done correctly to the right fuses.

The HK3 kit was connected directly to the dashcam itself (not connected to the GPS module)

One day in late Mar-22, I suddenly realised (whilst I was driving) that the dashcam wasn't recording (basically switched-off completely, recording button NOT lit-up).

I was UNABLE to turn on the dashcam by pressing the power button or the recording button. I noticed that the red LED inside the HK3 module was OFF, notwithstanding that there were voltages at the fuses (where the HK3 red wires and yellow wires were connected to).

The only way I could power-on the dashcam was by removing the HK3 red wire connection from the fuse, and then re-connect it back (that will also lit up the red LED inside the HK3 module)

After a bit of investigating (and playing around with the multi-meter) I have diagnosed that the HK3 kit is likely to have switched off the dashcam during parking mode when the battery had dropped below the 12.2V cut-off point set at the HK3 kit (and I acknowledge that it may be time to replace the car battery).

However, I was unsure why the HK3 kit did not automatically power the dashcam back on when the car was started up (I have checked that the car battery was running at around 14.5V when the engine was running).

I had ruled out a faulty HK3 kit, as I did obtain a replacement kit from the shop. The same issue reoccurred with the second HK3 kit.

I had also tested the dashcam on both firmware v2.5 and v1.0...and have encountered same issue across both firmwares (so unlikely to be a firmware issue).

Anyone may have encounter similar issue? Is the HK3 kit supposed to (after shutting down the dashcam from the battery protection feature) power-on the Viofo dashcam automatically when the car is restarted?

Thank you (in advance) for your feedback...

I haven't tested it in awhile, but from what I remember the dash cam would power back up by itself without me disconnecting and re-connecting the HWK.

Thanks T-D.

That's probably how I would expect the HK3 kit to operate

Will probably need to log a support ticket with Viofo.

I’m sure I read here previously of this same/similar issue where the poster had issues with his HK3 not starting back after cutting out due to low car battery voltage.

Last edited:
This post seems to show proper Hk3 recovery from a low voltage event.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

I’m sure I read here previously of this same/similar issue where the poster had issues with his HK3 not starting back after cutting out due to low car battery voltage.
Noted...I did a bit of searching on dashcamtalk.com but couldn't find that particular post (or a post outlining similar issue)

If you do come across that particular post again (by chance), please let me know the URL. Thank you

This post seems to show proper Hk3 recovery from a low voltage event.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk
Thanks for the link to the post...

That's useful...

In the meantime I have logged a ticket with Viofo...let's wait and see their response..

Thanks again

Did your third kit end up working? I am in the same boat as you. Randomly my camera will not power back on and I have to unplug the fuse taps and plug them back in to get the camera to work. I have a second kit on the way and am hoping there was a bad batch in the beginning of the year that caused the issues.

Back