voltage cutoff

djmaven

Reaction score
Country
Israel
Where can one set the voltage cutoff? Is there any recommendation for EVs (Ioniq 5)?

The low voltage cutoff is a physical selector switch on the hardwire kit.

I don't know anything about the Ioniq, but most EVs have a rather small 12V battery which doesn't last long in parking mode, but since it is not required for engine startup, it can be discharged without issue. I suggest a setting of 12.2V.

If you want a long parking mode recording time, assuming that you can't use the car's main battery, you may need to look at using a dashcam powerbank instead of the car battery.

I don't know anything about the Ioniq, but most EVs have a rather small 12V battery which doesn't last long in parking mode, but since it is not required for engine startup, it can be discharged without issue. I suggest a setting of 12.2V.
Most EVs have standard size 40-50Ah 12V battery. So while it's not a largest one it's still a standard size battery for a small car - it has to be decent capacity to support telematics and other electronics when the HV system is not energized.

Many EVs can have an issues energizing the HV system if the 12V is dead. But the "dead" refers to a damaged battery that can't hold voltage under load not to discharged battery. EVs will charge the 12V battery even while parked if it gets low so discharging it too low should never be an issue if the battery is healthy.

In other words: if the battery is in good working order the car will not let it go too low and discharge by the dashcam should never be an issue (I myself run a A229Pro 2ch with 12.0V cutoff in my Leaf). People hear about 12V issues in EVs and mistakenly think that they are about the charge level of the 12V while it's all about the health of the battery.

EVs will charge the 12V battery even while parked if it gets low so discharging it too low should never be an issue if the battery is healthy.
It would be nice if it was that simple, but I'm not convinced that it is.

Elsewhere, on EV 12V battery issues, I read:
  1. Some 12v batteries are simply faulty and can't maintain a charge. Replacing the battery (usually) fixes the issue.
  2. Many EVs will stop charging a 12v battery that demands to be charged too often to prevent the main traction battery from draining over time. This could be related to item 1, or related to accessories asking for 12v power while the vehicle is turned off (GPS trackers, dash cams, etc).
  3. Many EVs won't charge the 12v battery when the main traction battery is depleted below a certain level (normally in the 20-30% range).

Item 2 is a reason for not discharging the 12V battery too low, so 12.2V is a safer setting than 12.0V, and if the main battery does recharge the 12V regularly then maybe it never drops below 12.2 anyway in normal car use. However every manufacturer/model will do things a little differently.

So to answer the original question, without experience of the specific EV, is not really possible.
You can try it and see what happens.
You can use a dashcam battery pack instead of the 12V battery, unfortunately they are not cheap.
Maybe best to ask on an owners group website for the specific vehicle, there will be other people using dashcams with all EVs.

I agree that you should always make sure and ask on the specific EV user group and/or go step by step testing how long do you need the camera to operate.

But I don't think that there are any EVs that will ever stop maintaining the 12V even if the HV battery is low because it takes trivial amounts of power (the capacity of 12V compared to traction battery is like 1%) and without 12V EV will not start so there is no point in saving HV battery SoC by not maintaining 12V. Also keep in mind that EV needs much less charge to start up than an ICE engine.

So while my Leaf is not an Ioniq 5 I'm running 2ch A229 Pro with a motion detection parking mode (although limited to 8h) with 12.0 cutoff and have an smart home integration pinging the car at least once an hour and never had a discharged 12V.

Back