VS1 first impressions & appreciation

tomerrr

Reaction score
Country
Israel
after (too) many years with Mobius dashcams, and waiting for a proper minimalistic dashcam , I go on the forums and find there's a new Viofo that looks exactly like what I was looking for.
quick phone call to a friend who's a professional custom car audio installer that says he installed dozens of Viofo dashcams, with zero issues from customers as far as he knows.
got it installed yesterday with the parking kit and i couldn't be more happier - everything just works perfectly .
maybe it's just me entering the "modern dashcam" era, but over the years i spent hours "fighting" with the Mobius Maxi just to adjust settings over wifi in the app without it freezing as it's getting too hot, it simply stops recording for unknown reason, or even the last issue i experienced where it was blinking to show it's recording , but it really wasn't as the SD card became old and faulty. and the list goes on.

back to the VS1 - clear voice notifications, so simple and clever! i was pleasantly shocked after the install, to turn off the ignition and hear "parking mode enabled", because that's just what I needed to know at that moment.
video quality wise, i can only compare to the Maxi (2k) and it's on a whole different level. I checked the recordings after a 20 minutes drive in the city at night to find I could easily read license plates and everything looks so clear.
another small surprise happened when I went to a gas station that was pretty empty and the gas station attendant opened the fuel door without asking me (as it was self service), and the camera locked the video.
also attempted to take photos while driving using the voice command - which worked pretty well, though i had to repeat twice the command (my voice is not the strongest).

i think the only thing i would add (software wise), is a feature to temporarily disable parking mode with a voice command

anyway, good work Viofo!

Last edited:
i can only compare to the Maxi (2k) and it's on a whole different level. I checked the recordings after a 20 minutes drive in the city at night to find I could easily read license plates and everything looks so clear.
Yes, Sony Starvis 2 image sensors, with good HDR from Viofo, has made a big difference :)

You probably want to get the new CPL-400 now, for an even better image quality in sunshine, assuming you have some windscreen reflections:

^^ yea it's already in my AE shopping cart :))

after (too) many years with Mobius dashcams, and waiting for a proper minimalistic dashcam , I go on the forums and find there's a new Viofo that looks exactly like what I was looking for.
quick phone call to a friend who's a professional custom car audio installer that says he installed dozens of Viofo dashcams, with zero issues from customers as far as he knows.
got it installed yesterday with the parking kit and i couldn't be more happier - everything just works perfectly .
maybe it's just me entering the "modern dashcam" era, but over the years i spent hours "fighting" with the Mobius Maxi just to adjust settings over wifi in the app without it freezing as it's getting too hot, it simply stops recording for unknown reason, or even the last issue i experienced where it was blinking to show it's recording , but it really wasn't as the SD card became old and faulty. and the list goes on.

back to the VS1 - clear voice notifications, so simple and clever! i was pleasantly shocked after the install, to turn off the ignition and hear "parking mode enabled", because that's just what I needed to know at that moment.
video quality wise, i can only compare to the Maxi (2k) and it's on a whole different level. I checked the recordings after a 20 minutes drive in the city at night to find I could easily read license plates and everything looks so clear.
another small surprise happened when I went to a gas station that was pretty empty and the gas station attendant opened the fuel door without asking me (as it was self service), and the camera locked the video.
also attempted to take photos while driving using the voice command - which worked pretty well, though i have to repeat twice the command (my voice is not the strongest).

i think the only thing i would add (software wise), is a feature to temporarily disable parking mode with a voice command

anyway, good work Viofo!
Thanks for your high praise of our products. About disabling the parking mode, maybe this will be realized with the Bluetooth button.

Thanks for your high praise of our products. About disabling the parking mode, maybe this will be realized with the Bluetooth button.
could you detail more about this? i would definitely get the Bluetooth button if this was an option

could you detail more about this? i would definitely get the Bluetooth button if this was an option
The Bluetooth button is quite nice to have for locking videos, if you are not into using voice commands.

Having it change function to Parking Mode On|Off if the ignition is off would be nice.
Although maybe having the Microphone button change to Parking Mode On|Off if the ignition is off might work?

Unless Viofo gives more information, it might be sensible to wait before buying the button, in case it needs more than just a firmware update...

could you detail more about this?
I think Viofo-Support is talking about the upcoming "new" 2-Button Bluetooth Remote.
I don’t have any details on how it functions.
I’m guessing the “extra” button can be programed for various tasks.
1.) Acting as a power button to turn off the camera to disable parking mode.
2.) Enable / Disable HDR
3.) Enable / Disable Wi-Fi
4.) Enable / Disable Microphone
5.) IR LED’s On / Off / Auto
Etc.

I think Viofo-Support is talking about the upcoming "new" 2-Button Bluetooth Remote.
I don’t have any details on how it functions.
I’m guessing the “extra” button can be programed for various tasks.
1.) Acting as a power button to turn off the camera to disable parking mode.
2.) Enable / Disable HDR
3.) Enable / Disable Wi-Fi
4.) Enable / Disable Microphone
5.) IR LED’s On / Off / Auto
Etc.
are there any news about the new button?

are there any news about the new button?
Better to ask Viofo directly;

While you're at it ask for the release date of the;
1.) A229 Pro & A229 Plus Telephoto Camera
2.) A229 Pro & A229 Plus Waterproof Rear Camera
3.) OBD2 Power Cable (plug & play parking mode)
4.) iOS APP update to control HDR, and other settings in new Beta V1.3 Firmware for A229 Pro & A229 Plus
5.) New 4K60fps model
6.) Flagship Box version

Careful with the OBD-II port, it's not for adding more electronics but more so for pulling and monitoring information. I know it is used with things like accessports and heads up displays which utilise its power but that is because it has to for information. Don't use it unless it is the only way to get it working correctly. Use a fuse box/panel with an add-a-circuit fuse tap adapter, or wire to battery/ignition with correct amperage fuses inline. I would not want to risk the OBD-II port or the safety of the car/passengers in or out of motion. Looking out for people <3. It is a really cringe trend, out of laziness and other ways to sell things.

Question-> With a hardwire kit installed, is there a way to power down the VS1 like the A229 Pro to disable parking mode recording when parking in a garage at home? This would be with the parking mode set to record whenever the car is shut off. The fact that the manuals do not discuss this is really a bummer. Without knowing it would be hard to recommend without first hand knowledge or it listed somewhere easy to find on the website/manual.

Last edited:
Careful with the OBD-II port, it's not for adding more electronics but more so for pulling and monitoring information.
You are preaching to the choir.
But the cat's out of the bag at this point.
You should see the post of folks asking to charge a dash cam battery pack at 10-15 Amps through the OBD2 DLC. lol
With a hardwire kit installed, is there a way to power down the VS1
The "missing" power button on the VS1 is a critical design flaw.
Viofo's work around / band aid is the new 3-button remote.
You will be able to program one of the additional buttons to power down the camera when parking mode is not needed / wanted.

You should see the post of folks asking to charge a dash cam battery pack at 10-15 Amps through the OBD2 DLC. lol
Hopefully the fuse would blow at 4A, but which fuse?
Presumably the engine control unit fuse, which would not be good!

You are preaching to the choir.
But the cat's out of the bag at this point.

The "missing" power button on the VS1 is a critical design flaw.
Viofo's work around / band aid is the new 3-button remote.
You will be able to program one of the additional buttons to power down the camera when parking mode is not needed / wanted.

LOL oh no that is scary!

Oh I hope that they figure out a different way on the parking/power button thing. I have somebody interested in a dash cam that will move between vehicles and having to move a remote/fob as well will not get a purchase. So A119 Mini 2 is the closest price point and sensor it seems, that would do what they are looking for right? I personally wouldn't buy a dash cam that requires a remote for that, I would just use an extra phone as a dash cam with an app at that point, not to mention the data stays with a phone so it is easier to transfer stuff, while extra phones can be had for super cheap if you know a few stores that sell em for around 20 dollars new, quad core and more, fred meyers out here being one of those stores. I might be able to recommend them the A119 mini 2 at similar price point to the VS1.

^^ afaik, all Viofo's dashcams have a base that you stick to your windshield, and you slide the camera onto that base. so the A119 Mini 2 would not work for moving between vehicles.

^^ afaik, all Viofo's dashcams have a base that you stick to your windshield, and you slide the camera onto that base. so the A119 Mini 2 would not work for moving between vehicles.
If the cars are of the same owner, then this is not a problem.
For each Viofo model, you can purchase a separate platform or GPS module for installing the DVR in another car.
VS1
MINI 2

Question-> With a hardwire kit installed, is there a way to power down the VS1 like the A229 Pro to disable parking mode recording when parking in a garage at home?
Sorry that there is no spare buttons to be endowed with the feature to turn on/off the parking mode since there are only two buttons on the VS1.

Last edited:
Sorry that there is no spare buttons to be endowed with the feature to turn on/off the parking mode since there are only two buttons in the VS1.
I offered a solution to this.

The camera can be turned off by giving the "turn off camera" command via voice command. Then, when you want to open it, all you have to do is press any key. If it is used with HK5, the camera can be turned on automatically when the ignition is turned on.

Additionally, it can be controlled with the new 3-button remote control and a shut-off feature can be added. When you want to turn it on again, if there is power in the camera, the emergency button can be used to turn it on. If you have HK5, it can turn on automatically when the power comes on.

I think this would be doable.
@VIOFO-Support @viofo

received the new button today. straight away went to the car to pair it with the camera.
turned on the car's ignition to turn the camera on, but it wouldn't turn on - only the red microphone led was on constantly. thought that was extremely strange (never encountered this state).
thought maybe the parking mode cable cut power to the camera, although i turned off the camera (3 microphone button clicks) on Friday evening before leaving the car. turned the engine on, but the camera wouldn't turn on even with the car started.
i was getting slightly worried at this point, so disconnected its power cable until the red microphone led turned off and reconnected it. now it was booting up, and working normally.
paired the BTR200 button (apparently if you're connected to wifi and the app - it's not possible to pair BT button. weird stuff) and it was working just like it i configured it in the app.

i'm still a bit worried about the camera not turning on at all before. any idea what could have caused this?
it's 2pm and quite hot here, around 32c / 50% humidity, and the car is parked without any shade. could it be the VS1 heated up so it refused to turn on ?

@VIOFO-Support

Before you start the engine, please check if the camera is fully powered off.

Before you start the engine, please check if the camera is fully powered off.
ok, it didn't happen again so far. but now I have a different issue with the BTR200 button - it stopped working.
it flashes red and then blue when i click it, but the camera doesn't respond. i tried repairing it , same thing. is this an indicator of a low battery? i only have it for a week
( the camera itself is working fine )

Back