What 1TB memory card for Viofo a229 pro triple channel from Amazon prime

dashcams

Reaction score
Country
United States
What do you guys think about memory cards that are 1 TB and unofficially supported by viofo?
I'm seeing some good deals on brands

Teamgroup go $58
Teamgroup A2 pro $63
silicone power $63
Silicone power superior gaming $62
Lexar play $68
Lexar professional $77
Lexar e-series $88
SanDisk extreme $83
SanDisk ultra 1.5 TB $84 I had no idea they make this size

Avoid the Teamgroup brand. I've used some of their flash drives and performance was extremely erratic and had about a 20% failure rate within just a couple of months.

I used a Sandisk 1TB card and it broke in less than a month on a dashcam. I believe they have really low total write endurance.

I used a Sandisk 1TB card and it broke in less than a month on a dashcam. I believe they have really low total write endurance.
Yes, same for me. We don't suggest 1TB card.

If you are looking for big capacitor storage, maybe you can wait for the future dash cam.

If you are looking for big capacitor storage, maybe you can wait for the future dash cam.
Oh no. I just bought the a229 pro about 40 days ago

Any approximate release dates and new features, looking currently to buy the 229 pro, but would wait if something better is coming soon :)

Any approximate release dates and new features, looking currently to buy the 229 pro, but would wait if something better is coming soon :)
It took Sony 8 years to release Starvis 2. I would say sometime around 2029 for Starvis 3, unless they change things. Maybe 2028. Are you willing to wait that long?
I guess the only thing they can do is add 1TB support for new version of the camera. At the same time upgrade the unit to support rear 4K.

"buy 2x 2.7K dash cams, one for the front and one for the rear." I should have done that. Wouldn't need to worry about 1TB memory card support. The 2.7K video quality is very close to 4K but it's cheaper to buy 2. They also have Starvis 2.
I wouldn't suggest anyone buying the Viofo 229 unless they don't want more than 15 hours of recording time with bitrate not maxed out.

Viofo could you buy back my camera? I want better quality and the 229 rear is absolute junk and useless compared to the front. Looks like 720p upscaled video.

Is it true the rear is junk?

Is it true the rear is junk?
It is 2K, so half the detail of the 4K front.
Also, the lens is not quite as good due to it being rather more compact than the front.

But no, it is not junk, it is one of the best rear dashcams available, in fact no other rear camera has Starvis 2, 2K resolution, and DOL-HDR that is working properly. So that must make it the very best available.

Having a whole separate dashcam for rear sounds annoying, having to look back and check it is working and break your back when you need to press buttons on it.

The answer is going to be, "when it is ready", but yes, something with much higher storage capacity is coming.

It took Sony 8 years to release Starvis 2. I would say sometime around 2029 for Starvis 3, unless they change things. Maybe 2028. Are you willing to wait that long?
Viofo was not talking about Starvis 3, it will be Starvis 2, but that doesn't mean that the image quality won't be greater.

I guess the only thing they can do is add 1TB support for new version of the camera.
I think when Viofo said "big", he was thinking about rather more than just one TB.

At the same time upgrade the unit to support rear 4K.
Most people are happy with FHD at the rear!

Viofo could you buy back my camera? I want better quality and the 229 rear is absolute junk and useless compared to the front. Looks like 720p upscaled video.
When the new super 4K dashcam arrives, you can sell your old A229 Pro and upgrade, the market for used A229 Pro will probably be quite decent, in fact most used Viofo dashcams seem to sell on ebay for more than the Viofo sale prices ... there is currently an A139 Pro empty box on ebay for $20, but no actual cameras available - the market is good, and few people want to sell them!

I wouldn't suggest anyone buying the Viofo 229 unless they don't want more than 15 hours of recording time with bitrate not maxed out.
You don't have to run with Maximum bitrate, reduce the bitrate and you get more record time. The image may become a little blocky at times, but for evidence purposes it still works fine.

I guess the only thing they can do is add 1TB support for new version of the camera. At the same time upgrade the unit to support rear 4K.

"buy 2x 2.7K dash cams, one for the front and one for the rear." I should have done that. Wouldn't need to worry about 1TB memory card support. The 2.7K video quality is very close to 4K but it's cheaper to buy 2. They also have Starvis 2.

We will contact you via direct messages.

Back