What does 'sync' do?

wibbly

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
After downloading a file from the file playback screen (Vantrue Android app), there's an option to 'Sync'. Anyone know what that does?

After downloading a file from the file playback screen (Vantrue Android app), there's an option to 'Sync'. Anyone know what that does?
This is the synchronization of application files with a smartphone.
Until the files are synchronized, you will not find them in your smartphone.

So where are they after being 'downloaded', if not on the smartphone? Not sure what the benefit is of a 2 stage process - "download" and then "sync"?

So where are they after being 'downloaded', if not on the smartphone? Not sure what the benefit is of a 2 stage process - "download" and then "sync"?
You found video files on your smartphone without synchronizing them? :unsure:

Nope. So what does the 'download' operation do? Would I not ALWAYS want to 'sync'? I.e. shouldn't the sync stage be automatic?

Nope. So what does the 'download' operation do? Would I not ALWAYS want to 'sync'? I.e. shouldn't the sync stage be automatic?
After synchronization the video files will be located: Device memory - DСIM - Vantrue. :cool:

Reactions: gse
Yeah a download operation should always do a sync automatically.

What I don't understand is If I don't sync, why download other than because I want to sync? I seem to be able to view the video without downloading.

What I don't understand is If I don't sync, why download other than because I want to sync? I seem to be able to view the video without downloading.
Without synchronization, you can only watch them, and after synchronization, I can do whatever I want with these video files in my smartphone. Transfer them to your laptop. Send to a friend on whatsapp. Upload from smartphone to YouTube and so on.

Reactions: gse
Without download I can watch them anyway.
This.

While 'sync' option may have cut it ten years ago, it doesn't in 2023, far from it. Whether it's on a PC, or mobile device, cloud storage options and file transfer programs/interfaces have largely removed the sync option.

Just adds an extra step to an otherwise seamless experience of viewing and downloading videos/photos on the dashcam. @Jeff_Vantrue i'm not sure of the technicalities of the process, but please consider improving this process as I have been a tad confused even locating the video saved locations on my smartphone, it isn't really clear to the end user.

I still do not understand the difference between
-Sync
-Download

Why would anyone want to sync?

I still do not understand the difference between
-Sync
-Download

Why would anyone want to sync?
Exactly. Like my post says above, 15 years ago it would have made sense but we don't live in that archaic of a smartphone / PC world. We expect that once we say we've saved it, we've downloaded it. And that it hasn't been saved in some obscure folder, that we have to sync to first.

May as well go to miniUSB or RS232 while we're at it too, Vantrue lolololol

"Sync" actually puts the file on your phone (i.e. downloads it)
"Download" seems to do nothing except prepare for the "Sync" - I don't even need to 'Download' to be be able to view the videos on the app.

The terminology seems to be mixed up, and the 'Download' phase seems to be irrelevant to the user. All rather odd.

Back