What system to catch someone keying my girlfriends car?

CVRIV

Reaction score
Country
United States
Someone has been continuously keying my girlfriends car while she's at work. There are no cameras where she parks and she works overnight so it's dark outside. I'd like to install some camera system that will maybe record when it senses motion. We have to catch this person because we've been informed by her work and police that there's nothing that can be done.

Can anyone reccomend a camera system?

Thanks

If there are no light where she park, it will be hard / impossible to get a capture that can be used to identify the person, the dashcams need some ambient light to see anything, unlike CCTV cameras dashcams do not have a light source onboard.
Okay some do but if you put that up against a glass the IR light will just reflect in it and blind the camera.
How are the layout of the area ? there are trail / wildlife cameras that do have IR light to work in pitch darkness and motion detect, but you still need a place to hide it

As @kamkar said your best bet is to get a small deer cam with IR and place it outside of vehicle.

My girlfriend said its not well lit in the parking lot she parks so I guess an IR cam is needed. Any small deer cams that turn on with motion?

If i place an IR deer cam inside her car but not right up against the glass, will the cam still be blinded from IR reflection?

If i place an IR deer cam inside her car but not right up against the glass, will the cam still be blinded from IR reflection?
Probably, but in any case the car glass will filter out the IR light on its way out, and if any gets out it will be filtered again on the way back, so the IR illumination will not work with the camera inside the car. Need to park somewhere that it can be easily hidden outside.

doubtful, it is done on CCTV cameras often having IR LED's flanking the sensor, but you have to be very careful that the light dont bleed over into the sensor ( from the front glass on the camera itself )
Putting it against a window are probably not a good idea, if any best chance would be on a side window literally flat up against the glass but thats too close to where the perp will operate.

This example is a cctv camera put in a windowsill, as you can see not of much use with most of the light reflecting into the camera, and what you can see outside in those 2 pictures are probably ambient light.

1604709726808.jpeg

xIMG_5029-650x300.jpg.pagespeed.gp+jp+jw+pj+ws+js+rj+rp+rw+ri+cp+md.ic.0ef3ZFgwVz.jpg

If there are no nearby bushes or trees to stick the camera in / under, it will be a problem.

There are also the more consumer oriented security cameras like Arlo / Blink ASO, which are battery powered, some of these have IR light for aid too, and i assume could be crammed into a tin or something that can be places on the ground, but then again that just give coverage of 1 side of the vehicle, and that creep could go anywhere.

Back