What to buy that is heavy duty on budget

RoamingCC

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Currently running a Nextbase 322GW that's on it's way out, sometimes it works flawlessly other days it doesn't. I assume it's a battery issue as the blue light is always on but it won't record and screen won't respond after initial start up. Self repair to replace the battery is out of the question as the cost of buying a replacement battery and tools to do it makes it less cost effective. Due to change of driving habits I believe it will probably break again.

I drive a lot at home with loads of on and off driving due to doing parcel deliveries on average 30 stop starts a day. Every 6 weeks I take my family on road trips to Europe with on average recording time of 8-10 hours a day with 4 days of driving.

So I need some recommendations that don't cost more than £120 and don't have a battery. GPS is a must but I am flexible on the WiFi/ Bluetooth connectivity.

Current considerations are:
-Viofo A119 V3
-Viofo A119 Mini
-Viofo VS1
-Viofo WM1
-MiVue J30

Current considerations are:
-Viofo A119 V3
-Viofo A119 Mini
-Viofo VS1
-Viofo WM1
-MiVue J30
From that list, I would choose the VS1, preferably with hardwire kit so that it doesn't need to do a full boot up every time you start the engine, so will start recording a bit faster. The rest have an older image sensor and are definitely not as good, there are a lot of people like the VS1.

-Viofo A119 Mini
Welcome to the club.
The A119 Mini (2022) STARVIS 1 IMX335 was discontinued.
The A119 Mini 2 (2023) STARVIS 2 IMX675 is the current model.
Without a doubt the A119 Mini 2 is the “best” option, ($99 on sale).
Just between me, and you I only recommend Viofo Brand SD Cards in Viofo dash cams if you value your sanity.

Just an update, I went with the VS1 as it was the cheapest on the UK Viofo website. Chinese manufacturer website was equal amount for Mini 2 but would have taken 8-14 days delivery compared to 1 day delivery.

I am happy with the performance as a dash cam but there are are some annoying behaviour with the Viofo once during every 2-3 drives it keep switching between parking mode and normal recording resulting in no recording at all. I am using the hardwire kit so don't know why it does this.

Two features that will force me to buy another Nextbase dashcam is the software which has one simple (in my mind simple) option/feature, that is the map and data overlay when using the Nextbase app on Android or PC. I disable the GPS speed on all my dashcams but the Nextbase app allows me to view the speed via their app, the Viofo doesn't. Same applies to the map/ location data the Nextbase offers an overlay of my location alongside the video in their app which I appreciate as a traveller I can places and maps location of where I have been. I will wait until their Starvis 2 release.

Thank you for the recommendations.

once during every 2-3 drives it keep switching between parking mode and normal recording resulting in no recording at all. I am using the hardwire kit so don't know why it does this.
Do you mean that it changes multiple times between parking and normal, while driving?
Maybe check the quality of the GND connection, make sure it isn't connected to plastic...

I disable the GPS speed on all my dashcams but the Nextbase app allows me to view the speed via their app, the Viofo doesn't. Same applies to the map/ location data the Nextbase offers an overlay of my location alongside the video in their app
There is a map showing the route, but only after you have downloaded the file, assuming that GPS is On, and you have only turned off the GPS Stamps. Don't remember it showing speed, think you need to use a computer with Dashcam Viewer for that.

PS: There is normally little point in disabling the speed stamp, speed can always be calculated from the video image, normally more accurately than that shown by the stamp!

Back