What voltage for hardwire kit?

quikfire

Reaction score
Country
Singapore
Just hardwired my Street Guardian dashcam- what voltage should I set the cutoff protection at?

At 12.2V it seems to cut off fairly quickly (within minutes), at 12V the dashcam runs throughout the night.

But next morning I find my door locking mechanism is slow to respond. Long term wise, am I looking at weakening my battery?

Battery is 2+ years old, which could explain the lower resting voltage.

An unpopular opinion here but I've done my portion of research on the topic. The answer is as high as reasonably your battery allows, especially if you don't drive more than an hour a day. Fresh battery 12.4v, older battery 12.2v but you're risking to wear it out faster then it would have on its own. It's kind of a trade off. Whether you need whole night of parking records or is 4-5 hours sufficient enough for you, when you're running errands for example and at a higher risk of someone bumping your car at a grocery store.
Modern car batteries and electronics are not designed for deeper than necessary discharge, your car would start shutting down some functions to preserve charge. I've noticed that happens around 12.2v and had exactly same experience as you. Car is sluggish to recognize keyfob with remote unlock when the dash cam has used its 12.2v limit

Although do have to comment, it's weird your battery can't record much at 12.2v yet records the whole night at 12v. Most likely your battery was not charged at all when you observed that 12.2v cut off within minutes

Just hardwired my Street Guardian dashcam- what voltage should I set the cutoff protection at?

At 12.2V it seems to cut off fairly quickly (within minutes), at 12V the dashcam runs throughout the night.

But next morning I find my door locking mechanism is slow to respond. Long term wise, am I looking at weakening my battery?

Battery is 2+ years old, which could explain the lower resting voltage.

The best is to set a higher voltage cut-off to 'protect' the battery as it takes a lot of juice to crank the engine. A weaker battery will not let the engine crank faster.

The battery in my car is 4.5 years old so I have turned off parking mode. Plan the battery and then turn on the parking mode settings.

To find out the battery health, check the details in this video by Chris Fix, follow them and determine the health of the car's battery.

An unpopular opinion here but I've done my portion of research on the topic. The answer is as high as reasonably your battery allows, especially if you don't drive more than an hour a day. Fresh battery 12.4v, older battery 12.2v but you're risking to wear it out faster then it would have on its own. It's kind of a trade off. Whether you need whole night of parking records or is 4-5 hours sufficient enough for you, when you're running errands for example and at a higher risk of someone bumping your car at a grocery store.
Modern car batteries and electronics are not designed for deeper than necessary discharge, your car would start shutting down some functions to preserve charge. I've noticed that happens around 12.2v and had exactly same experience as you. Car is sluggish to recognize keyfob with remote unlock when the dash cam has used its 12.2v limit
Appreciate the reasoned considerations. It is a trade-off. Experimenting now with 12.2V (today it works with 12.2V but not 12.4V), and 1-2 hours of parking mode before shutdown. That should suffice for most places outside home and work.

Appreciate the reasoned considerations. It is a trade-off. Experimenting now with 12.2V (today it works with 12.2V but not 12.4V), and 1-2 hours of parking mode before shutdown. That should suffice for most places outside home and work.
You need to know which battery is installed in your car.
At 12.4V cutoff, you have much less time to monitor parking with a lead-acid battery than with an AGM.
lead acid battery.jpg agm battery.jpg

At 12.4V cutoff, you have much less time to monitor parking with a lead-acid battery than with an AGM.
No reason to use 12.4V with an AGM, they will happily go down to 11.8V and still happily start the engine.

No reason to use 12.4V with an AGM, they will happily go down to 11.8V and still happily start the engine.
The cutoff was given as an example. The main discussion was about the observation time in the parking lot on different types of batteries with the same cutoff when the voltage drops.

Depends where you're located, it may not start that well in freezing temperatures lol

Depends where you're located, it may not start that well in freezing temperatures lol
I would listen to this guy, if any he know about starting cars in the winter, even if i live just as much north, conditions are entire different in my country.

I thought you all had heated garages in Montreal :unsure:

I thought you all had heated garages in Montreal :unsure:
I would be worried about rust if I had a heated garage because the snow and ice will melt lol

From personal experience.
My car has a 80Ah lead acid battery.
The 2.2DID 150PS engine in winter at temperatures up to -10 ° C below zero
and a battery voltage of 11.8 V does not experience problems with starting.

Car AGM battery charging voltage limit 14.4 to 14.6V.
---
Below are the 12V terminal voltages of a disconnected AGM battery at 20 deg. Celsius - 68 F and the approximate state of charge:
12,8V = 100%
12.5V to 12.6V = 75%
12.2V to 12.3V = 50%
12.0V to 12.1V = 25%
11.8V = discharged

Since I have the possibility to charge the battery in the garage I will choose cutoff protection at 12,2 V. This will guarantee me with a capacity of 80Ah a recording duration of min. 100 hours, if I count correctly.

I recommend reading your battery manufacturer's instructions and not theorizing like a layman. Because -> First thing is to do is RTDM = (Read the damn manual).

Just because a battery "survives" for a longer period of time uncharged with a low voltage, does not mean that it will benefit it and extend its life. But each comrade treats technical equipment at his own discretion :)

Last edited:
This will guarantee me with a capacity of 80Ah a recording duration of min. 100 hours, if I count correctly
You don't have to count, you have to check.
I recommend reading your battery manufacturer's instructions and not theorizing like a layman.
Everything has been read and tested.
Everyone has the right to decide for himself what and how to do.

Back