What would you buy

GTTDI

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
If you could pick any DashCam and didn't have to worry about cost or installation what would you choose?

I only need simple thing like these one:

HC1000.jpg

and install in one of these will be nice:
RigMount-XL-Gimbal-Mount-600x600.jpg

Stabilised-Camera-Gimbal1.jpg

Ready simple, dont you think so ?

I would opt for something that is more in scale what what is required for a dash cam. The Canon ME20F-SH multi-purpose camera measures only 4 x 4.4 x 4.6 inches has a 35mm Full Frame CMOS with an equivalent sensitivity in excess of 4,000,000 ISO which provides an astonishing low light performance level of 0.0005 lux or less. - 1920 x 1080 @ 60 fps - about $20,000 not including the EF mount lens. :)

There is an identical looking but less capable version called the ME200S-SH for a mere 5000 USD. (not yet available)

These even have a standard tripod mount on top.

ME20F-SH.jpg

Last edited:
If you could pick any DashCam and didn't have to worry about cost or installation what would you choose?

One of: SGZC12RC, SG9665GC or JooVuu X.
Sure, there are things to grumble about with those cams, but I find less to grumble about with those than with most other cams. No cam is perfect.

I have SGZC12RC and JooVuu cams; the SG9665GC wasn't suitable for mounting in my car nor my wife's car due to very large sensor housings on the windscreen.

That Canon would fit perfect in front of my RVM. :cool:

BUT ! it will have to go on a quick release mount, cuz no way in hell will i be leaving that in the car when i am parked.

Honestly i would not buy a new dashcam right now as i already have a camera, and i want to wait a little and see what new cameras with IMX 291 & other similar can do and not least new dual channel dashcams will be like.

I'm quite sure the OP was referring to actual dedicated dash cams currently available in the marketplace when he launched this thread and asked his question but the high end professional digital video cameras posted to this thread make for an interesting discussion, so what the hell, I have another one to feature for those who may not be aware of this growing trend towards miniaturization in high end cinematography.

My post here was prompted when I happened to take a closer look and noticed that one of the cameras posted by @thancam above, somewhat obscured by all the mounting paraphernalia is the Black Magic Pocket Cinema Camera which measures 5.04 inches x 1.5 inches x 2.6 inches. Black Magic produces some of the more unique professional cinema products on the market and has specialized in highly capable, increasingly small devices to complement their larger offerings.

Pocket Cinema Camera

BMpocket.jpg pocket.jpg

One of their more recent additions is called the Black Magic Micro Cinema Camera, measuring only 2.74 inches x 2.54 inches x 3.25 inches (sans lens)

The camera uses a Super 16 sensor (12.48mm x 7.02mm) and can achieve 13 stops of dynamic range! - 1080P @ 23.98 to 60 fps

It accepts SDXC and SDHC memory cards, MFT lenses, has top and bottom tripod mounting options and a full spectrum of high end cinema controls and features.

At $995 (not including lens) it might be considered the ultimate action camera! (and for the purpose of the thread, perhaps the ultimate dash camera)

A 4K "studio" version is available as well.

Pretty cool! So to answer the question, I think this is what I would buy if cost and installation wasn't an issue.

micro.jpg

incredible.jpg

micro2.jpg

smallform.jpg

If we are ever to start seeing dash cams manufactured with larger sensors like the Super 16 or MFTs the Black Magic Micro Cinema is a good indicator of about what they might look like.

Last edited:
Over a half billion DKkr in the euro lotto lottery on friday, that's a amount of money i just got to try and win.

And if i win then for sure high end video and still cameras is what i would want, cuz the rest of my life i would then spend traveling the world and seeing and documenting awesome places.

Over a half billion DKkr in the euro lotto lottery on friday, that's a amount of money i just got to try and win.

And if i win then for sure high end video and still cameras is what i would want, cuz the rest of my life i would then spend traveling the world and seeing and documenting awesome places.

Hope you win!! If you do win we are all coming to live with you. :D

Free dashcams all around :)
Lets just say quite a few ppl around the world would get the chance of meeting me if they wanted to, food and drinks will be on me.

Back