What's a good American brand?

Rebecca_

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello! I'm trying to buy a dashcam for my pickup but I can't seem to find any American brands. One I did find just said they were American but their stuff was all made in China. Front and rear would be ideal but not necessary.

Garmin is a USA (Kansas) brand, although the company is registered in Switzerland, and has operations in UK, Taiwan and Canada.
I would guess that their dashcams are made in Taiwan.

Rexing is a Connecticut/New York company, don't know where they make the cameras, they have some issues following US rules!

Blackvue and Thinkware are from Korea.

Nextbase is from Newport, UK.

Viofo and Vantrue are from Shenzhen, China.

70mai is from Shanghai, China.

Street Guardian is Australian.

One I did find just said they were American but their stuff was all made in China.
At the moment, I think the best dashcams are designed and built in China by Chinese companies, USA is a long way behind.

The dash cam industry basically started in China nearly twenty years ago, when local companies began experimenting with newly developed chip-sets and low performance, low resolution sensors, combined with available off-the-shelf components like M12 lenses from surveillance cameras, lithium-polymer rechargeable batteries and small, low resolution LCD screens to create the first primitive dashboard cameras. These products proved widely popular in some countries, especially in Russia and China has been out in front of this industry ever since as well as becoming (like everything else it seems) the go-to manufacturing source for companies in other parts of the world to have their own designed cameras manufactured.

This phenomenon corresponded with and began with the explosion in small digital video camera manufacturing in China for American companies for the original groundbreaking cameras such as GoPro (first digital model 2006) and the FLIP (2006) . The USA designed FLIP camcorder was a seminal and influential product in this history, even more than the GoPro because it was the first miniaturized pocketable digital consumer camcorder to appeal to a wide audience, whereas the GoPro was more of a niche product in its early days.

Last edited:
Back