Which one to get out of these

Alex_alder

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an opportunity to get my first dash cam from a certain selection through my work, does anyone know if one is superior to the rest?

They are as follows;

HP AC100

HP AC150 HD

HP AC200 HD

HP AC200W

HP F200

HP F210 GPS

Any help is appreciated, thanks

Is your employer paying for it?
What kind of usage: Is it for a car? Lorry? Bus? Taxi?

Have you looked at the size and shape of the cams, their mounts and their length of power cable to see whether you can find a legal spot on your windscreen to fit one, depending on the vehicle it will be in?
A brief generalisation of 'legal' is: not on the windscreen anywhere above the steering wheel, and not intruding more than 4cm anywhere else covered by the wipers.
Many people don't bother with the legalities of objects on their windscreen, but I just know with my luck it would come back and bite me if I had to rely on evidence from my cam and it wasn't positioned legally or other objects not positioned legally were seen by the cam.

Yeah their paying for it, it's for my car, it's actually a voucher I can spend on anything but been wanting a dash cam for a while, and no I've got to pick them off the website the voucher is valid for.

Didn't know that it was so technical for the legal side of things lol, how difficult are they to fit yourself?

Yeah their paying for it, it's for my car, it's actually a voucher I can spend on anything but been wanting a dash cam for a while, and no I've got to pick them off the website the voucher is valid for.

Didn't know that it was so technical for the legal side of things lol, how difficult are they to fit yourself?

Do you have a link to the website you must buy from? Some of those cams I've never heard of. HP are not a renowned name for quality and reliable dashcams although that doesn't necessarily mean the cams are junk.

Dash cams are easy to fit yourself.
It takes about five to ten minutes to fit and another five to ten minutes to fiddle with any settings you want to change from default*.
An ice-scraper is readily available in most cars and is ideal for tucking cables under the trim around the edges of the windscreen.

Things you might want to change:

GPS logging (shows where you car has been, and when).
Speed stamp (prints your GPS-derived speed on the video).
G-sensor (detects shocks to the car, but unfortunately the tatty roads in the UK - and even roundabouts - will result in lots of locked files which will eventually fill up the memory card).
Sound recording (do you want your conversations recorded - and are you committing an offence if you don't tell your passengers their conversations are being recorded).

Not all cams have those features. On a few cams those features don't work properly, usually not being able to turn them off.

Right.....I think the ones prefixed with AC are action cameras and not specifically designed to be dash cams.

Which narrows it down to
HP F200
HP F210 GPS

The F200 looks interesting because it can have the mount on either the top or the bottom of the camera. And no GPS means people won't be able to ask you to turn it on so they can take a peek at where you've been and how fast your were travelling. As for what quality of electronics are inside the camera......?

HP don't make them, it's just a licensed product, for the most part they seem ok though

To me they look like they're related to the Transcend cams, but I don't think Transcend build their own cams, do they?
And the HP F210 claims to have a f2.8 lens which, all else being equal, is going to be a class below the Transcend cams and probably struggle in dull conditions or at night.

To me they look like they're related to the Transcend cams, but I don't think Transcend build their own cams, do they?

the design is from Taiwan, they're made in China but the build quality is generally pretty good, quite a few 'brand name' cameras come out of the same factory

The HP F200 is an OK cam, OK video, average night time video. I've had one for a few years and it's been used 24/7 in a big truck for probably 1/3 of that time.. I thought they were not made/sold any more? I bought mine on amazon new for $100.
The F210 had some quirks and problems I don't remember, but a lot of people were not happy with the 'slot' mount. The 200 uses a standard tripod mount.

Sorry guys was busy, I could link it but you need to login to the website and its employees only, I looked at some videos on YouTube and they all look relatively the same to be honest, apart from the AC200 and AC200W appear to be more like gopro cameras

And I think they have over priced the cameras on the website but who cares because there free to me lol

Right.....I think the ones prefixed with AC are action cameras and not specifically designed to be dash cams.

Which narrows it down to
HP F200
HP F210 GPS

The F200 looks interesting because it can have the mount on either the top or the bottom of the camera. And no GPS means people won't be able to ask you to turn it on so they can take a peek at where you've been and how fast your were travelling. As for what quality of electronics are inside the camera......?

So does that mean it's narrowed down to the f200 and f210 then?

So does that mean it's narrowed down to the f200 and f210 then?

It means I would buy the F200 due to it not tracking your speed and location, and its superior mounts. Also @dash riposki owns one and seems satisfied with it.
So that's two votes for the F200, and nobody has yet favoured any of the others.

F200 it is then, also it turns out to be the cheapest so gives me more of my voucher to spend on other things, I'll let you all know how it goes when it gets here!

It's not a bad cam, and has been pretty reliable. Like mentioned, it actually looks and feel solid enough to have been made by computer company. (which it wasn't)
Mine has kind of a medium blue color, I think they had some color options, like black.
I'd get black if you are worried about being discrete, but it's not a HUGE cam, kind of middle of the pack.

4cams.jpg

Yeah the photo on the website is black, didn't get a chance to order last night so gonna order it now

Back