Why are the VIOFO filename timestamps not agreeing with "Date Modified" ?

Hack_man

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm still getting used to the A229 PRO as a new user but was confused by timestamps when I downloaded files from the VIOFO SD card to my computer.
Why would some of the files show an incorrect "Date Modified" ? I was driving home at around 4:40 PM which agrees with the filename timestamps but some of the "Date Modified" times show 8:40 AM.
It's strange because in Loops 1 A/B and 5 A/B the front and rear camera times are 8 hours different for the same loop recording!
I confirmed the timezone settings and GPS coordinates were correct.

I don't see how my computer could have modified the files unless I viewed video before it was recorded :oops:

I've opened a ticket with VIOFO, but comments by real world users might be helpful to understand this
screenshot_07.png

Last edited:
Odd...
I'm using 1 minute recordings and haven't seen this issue.
Do you record the timestamp in de video? And is that off too? No GPS issues in the files?
Only thing I can think of is that the time of the unit changed due to GPS-signal issues (yamming?) and then changed back.

Are the incorrect times correct UTC. (GPS) times?

Did you have your phone app connected during any of this time?

Odd...
I'm using 1 minute recordings and haven't seen this issue.
Do you record the timestamp in de video? And is that off too? No GPS issues in the files?
Only thing I can think of is that the time of the unit changed due to GPS-signal issues (yamming?) and then changed back.
Yes I do record timestamp in the video and they are all exactly correct. I confirmed the GPS coordinates stamped in the video are correct. This happens even in Parking mode when the GPS would be most stable.

Are the incorrect times correct UTC. (GPS) times?

Did you have your phone app connected during any of this time?
The incorrect times are always exactly 8 hours earlier than my correct time (not sure if that answers the question)
The File Name always shows the correct time i.e. 2024_0829_144853_01410R.MP4 is the correct time 144853 but Date Modified is incorrect at 6:51 AM
I did NOT have the phone app connected during any of these times.

This problem is happening very frequently now, random 8 hour offsets in the File's Date Modified.
I have spot checked the time stamps in the lower right corner of the video and in every case they are correct in the video but the DATE MODIFIED is incorrect by exactly minus 8 hours. screenshot_32.png

Last edited:
The incorrect times are always exactly hours earlier than my correct time (not sure if that answers the question)
What do you have the timezone set to? I'm guessing -8, in other words the incorrect times are timezone 0 times (UTC times)?

What OS are you using? I have seen similar with Linux, where Linux handles file permissions and creations date differently than Windows. However, in that case, usually all file times, whether 'modified' or 'created', are equally off from the actual time. Thus, in the case of Linux and its inherent network timing, it would display a time that is off from the actual time stamp on the file.

For what ever the value, I have seen the same in my A229 Pro, from time to time, and have never discovered what caused it. I expect it has to do with the GPS module and software not syncing up with each other.

What do you have the timezone set to? I'm guessing -8, in other words the incorrect times are timezone 0 times (UTC times)?
Typo in earlier post it should have said "exactly 8 hours earlier"

I have my timezone set to GMT -5 US Daylight savings time
Is the 8 hour erroneous offset equal to Time zone 0? The error is random but always off by -8 hrs when it happens.
screenshot_38.png

What OS are you using? I have seen similar with Linux, where Linux handles file permissions and creations date differently than Windows. However, in that case, usually all file times, whether 'modified' or 'created', are equally off from the actual time. Thus, in the case of Linux and its inherent network timing, it would display a time that is off from the actual time stamp on the file.

For what ever the value, I have seen the same in my A229 Pro, from time to time, and have never discovered what caused it. I expect it has to do with the GPS module and software not syncing up with each other.
MACOS Sonoma 14.6.1
The error occurs randomly.
I've seen the Front camera with incorrect time but the rear camera time was correct during the SAME 3 MINUTE LOOP!
I don't understand how it could be a GPS issue if the timestamp in the video is always correct but the Date Modified is randomly incorrect and it also happens during Parking mode when GPS is most stable.

It's not a huge problem since the time stamp in video and filename are good but something is definitely wrong.

Last edited:
Can you use another setting for Daylight Saving? Other than 'United States'. If I'm correct this is an experimental setting as no other countries/regions can be set there.
I know it doesn't add up to -8 hours, just to see if it helps.

Can you use another setting for Daylight Saving? Other than 'United States'. If I'm correct this is an experimental setting as no other countries/regions can be set there.
I know it doesn't add up to -8 hours, just to see if it helps.
might be worth a try but keep in mind its an intermittent problem, probably a firmware coding thing IMO.
VIOFO is onboard helping.

Your right of course, just trying to pin-point the cause.
(Accupational hazard, I shoot trouble for a living :D )

I don't understand how it could be a GPS issue if the timestamp in the video is always correct but the Date Modified is randomly incorrect and it also happens during Parking mode when GPS is most stable.

It's not a huge problem since the time stamp in video and filename are good but something is definitely wrong.

Because I have replaced 2 bad GPS units for my A229, as well as the connection board in the A229 back. There are likely multiple threads/streams that write to the file, screen, and where ever VIOFO has selected. Software/firmware/hardware. Don't forget the SDXC controllers. I noticed it prior to the new daylight savings time feature, seldom happens and is not an issue other that times don't match, but it is still obvious which files are 'companion' files so I have not pursued it with VIOFO.

I'm still getting used to the A229 PRO as a new user but was confused by timestamps when I downloaded files from the VIOFO SD card to my computer.
Why would some of the files show an incorrect "Date Modified" ? I was driving home at around 4:40 PM which agrees with the filename timestamps but some of the "Date Modified" times show 8:40 AM.
It's strange because in Loops 1 A/B and 5 A/B the front and rear camera times are 8 hours different for the same loop recording!
I confirmed the timezone settings and GPS coordinates were correct.

I don't see how my computer could have modified the files unless I viewed video before it was recorded :oops:

I've opened a ticket with VIOFO, but comments by real world users might be helpful to understand this
View attachment 73772
I’ve seen issue since 2019, I have tested the;
A129 Pro (2019)
A129 Plus (2020)
A229 Duo (2022)
A119 Mini (2022)
A139 Pro (2022)
WM1 (2023)
A119 Mini 2 (2023)
A229 Pro (2023)
A229 Plus (2023)

Some cameras have this issue some don’t.
I’ve never reported this issue with other bugs I find during testing because I was never 100% sure if it was my Chromebook, or the camera.
You would think when Viofo designs a new model they start with a “standardized foundation” of coding / programming.
I’ve found is this is not the case.
It’s like every camera is created by a different design team of engineers, and these teams do not communicate with each other.
Or maybe some engineers leave the company, and take their “secrets with them”.
This is my biggest complaint with Viofo cameras, (lack of standardization, and modularity).
It’s like every model is a one off unit.

Example;
Every Viofo dash cam has a completely different protocol, appearance, functionality, when it comes to the text overlay at the bottom of recorded footage, GPS Coordinates, Speed, Date, Time, Custom Text, Camera Identification Stamp, Character Font, Character Size, etc.
The difference in character size drives me nuts, because each resolution is a different size.
Usually the higher the resolution, the smaller the character size.

1.) Front 4K .png
2.) Rear 2K .png
3.) IR Interior 1080p .png
4.) 4K .png
5.) 2K .png
6.) 1080p .png
7.) 4K .png
8.) 1080p .png

You would think Viofo would take the time to iron out these basic fundamentals, but that would divert time, money, manpower, and other resources away from the next new innovation.
It’s literally a death race / rush to market proposition.
That’s why they keep releasing “complete hardware with unfinished firmware”.
They want to be first to market, and take customers money, and fix the firmware issues when they get around to it.
All the previous cameras I tested it took at most 30 days to have acceptable / functional public firmware.
The A229 Pro & A229 Plus have been the worsts offenders, taking around 8 months to release acceptable public firmware.
I’m still not satisfied with the A229 Plus.
So now we have the A329 coming out soon, and I’m hoping it’s not another 8 months for acceptable / functional firmware.
-Chuck

Interesting post by @Panzer Platform. I've worked in the high-volume consumer electronics market and yes there is a push to keep the product pipeline filled.
VIOFO said they have not had reports of this particular problem. Most people might not care and its's really not a big deal, I just happen to be a little OCD over file management stuff. But if this is the worst problem I have with the A229Pro I won't mind.
I still have to install an A229 Plus so it will be interesting to compare.

To VIOFO's credit they have asked me to supply video files containing the discrepancy which they are reviewing.

Last edited:
Your right of course, just trying to pin-point the cause.
(Accupational hazard, I shoot trouble for a living :D )
I have the same troubleshooting mindset and can relate. It's terrible, always looking/expecting a problem that needs to be fixed. I was reluctant to even purchase a dashcam because I didn't want to be constantly going down rabbit holes with a new tech gadget. I get annoyed enough with my iPhone.

So far I really can't complain about the A229 Pro mated to the Powercell 8.

Last edited:
You would think when Viofo designs a new model they start with a “standardized foundation” of coding / programming.
I’ve found is this is not the case.
It’s like every camera is created by a different design team of engineers, and these teams do not communicate with each other.
Example;
Every Viofo dash cam has a completely different protocol, appearance, functionality, when it comes to the text overlay at the bottom of recorded footage, GPS Coordinates, Speed, Date, Time, Custom Text, Camera Identification Stamp, Character Font, Character Size, etc.

I have to completely agree with you. I have long thought that they are out-sourcing code-monkeys to do the software, thus the large difference in nomenclature, appearance, and more. A shop gets what it pays for and if the code-monkeys do not have an official SDK and contact with the CMOS / controller makers then you get off the shelf free-ware packages. You see this even in the naming of the FW software package you download. Almost every manufacturer will name the package the version name...not VIOFO. Little nuances like that I take as a hint to the professionalism of the coders and management.

@Panzer Platform I see you have experienced this same problem of Date Modified not correct. VIOFO has reviewed my video files and sees the problem with the date but cannot recreate it on their test cameras. They offered to send me a new A229 Pro camera head and possibly request the old one back for testing. They say they have never seen this problem. I don't want to replace the camera if it affects the 18 month VIOFO warranty period since everything else seems to work.

Is this a serious problem for the Date Modified not to agree with correct time? My concern is could an insurance company/police claim the video was edited and dispute the footage?

I have an A229 Plus (never installed still in the box) which I could swap onto the old A229 Pro's GPS to see if that makes a difference and maybe install the problematic A229 Pro on the new Plus's GPS to see if that makes a difference.

The last time I checked the files the problem was occurring more frequently.

Last edited:
Just an update here: The 8 hour time offset problem has become even more frequent. VIOFO has requested I return the camera for their analysis.
I've been very pleased with the response I've received from VIOFO support.

This is not an issue, it is related to the computer time zone, no necessary to return, can not be solved by firmware.

Back