Why the drama with updating firmware with a 64Gb card?

We'll get there faster if new devices are no longer developed explicitly for it. Or existing devices add support for more advanced FS.

what about ex3/ex4 file system?
That would break ALL the SD association rules and render the camera/card useless on virtually all systems!!!
As it is, the camera obeys all the rules and even formats the SD cards correctly depending on their capacity. What more do you expect?

there are rules o_O
what do i expect? its simple, FAT file system is more likely to end up with corrupted files. i'd expect to move forward to a filesystem that is more secure. nothing more.
and that is a general saying, true not only for the Mobius but all camera's and devices that are still using it.

EDIT: didn't find any rules for SD card formatting. Although as you say, 64GB card won't officially support a FAT32 file system.
android devices, which are based on linux, use (internal) SD cards formatted to ex4.
With a ex4 driver installed on your windows machine it shouldn't be a problem to browse an ex4 SD card.

Last edited:
there are rules o_O
what do i expect? its simple, FAT file system is more likely to end up with corrupted files. i'd expect to move forward to a filesystem that is more secure. nothing more.
and that is a general saying, true not only for the Mobius but all camera's and devices that are still using it.
This is the wrong place to discuss SD standards and has absolutely nothing to do with the Mobius. The Mobius adhere to all standards, be it USB or SD card.

New devices, like the Mobius, that only support this old and flawed file system, perpetuate the use of it instead of moving forward to better and more secure systems.
I don't have any illusions that it'll change any time soon (or with the mobius in particular), but it would be great if new devices added support for better file system/s as well. And every consumer should encourage that change.

New devices, like the Mobius, that only support this old and flawed file system, perpetuate the use of it instead of moving forward to better and more secure systems.
I don't have any illusions that it'll change any time soon (or with the mobius in particular), but it would be great if new devices added support for better file system/s as well. And every consumer should encourage that change.

these are industry standards, making a camera that used some other file system isn't going to happen while ever the cards have a standard that is used, it would be ridiculous to think otherwise

some reading on SDXC here https://www.sdcard.org/consumers/sdxc_capabilities/using_sdxc/

people and devices that do not adhere to standards are those who set the new ones.
nobody wears electronic glasses these days, why would someone spend millions on making such a stupid thing?
nobody used touch screen on mobile phones, keys where the standard, and not using keys must of been a suicide decision.
FAT32 was the standard for operation systems. I wonder why nobody uses FAT32 for his PC anymore or how that standard changed.
Is HD video is already a standard, or still pending approval?

you can go all innovative and use only next-gen technology, but you can also add compatibility, support both old and new, be in line with all the standards and in the same time one step ahead. whether its realistic or you have the resources to do that is another question. but with sayings like "its not gonna happen as long as that is the standard" we'd still be using candles to light our homes, or play videos using a VCR and not Blue-Ray.

To put the record straight, I am not the developer of the Mobius! I have written the GUI and manuals, with the developer's approval, in my free time and without any payment in the hope they will be useful to someone.
For the Mobius, it is totally unnecessary to format a 64GB card to FAT32 and this is one of the reasons the manual won't tell you how to do it. I also don't consider the manual to be the correct place to encourage 'hacking' that may invalidate your card's guarantee*. Encouraging people to use non-approved formats has nothing to do with 'user friendly' and has no place in a manual.
All tools capable of formatting cards with a capacity greater than 32GB with FAT32 are, IMO, hacking tools since the FAT32 specification ends at 32GB.
If someone is so desperate to format their cards to an out-of-spec format then it doesn't require much research to find the various tools that will do so. But what's the point?

*Last year I had to replace one of my 64GB FAT32 cards which my #18 had bricked. Sandisk very clearly told me that my FAT32 formatted card was no longer covered by warranty because I had used non-approved third-party tools to reformat it. After a few more telephone calls they did, in the end, replace the card free of charge, but it was a big hassle which I wouldn't want to go thru again.

Simple answer: put it in the manual with the above disclaimer. Let the end user decide, but at least give them the option to make up their own minds.

Last edited:
Back