Will this setup work for Mobius as rear dashcam?

unni

Reaction score
Country
India
Dash Cam
Viofo A229 Pro 3 channel, Viofo A119v3
I have been using Mobius v2 as front dashcam for almost an year. Now I am planning to add one at the back.

I am thinking to get the following items:

a. 4 port USB car charger
b. 10 meter (30 ft) Active USB 2.0 extension cable
c. Mobius Type C v3 camera

The setup will be as follows:
1. Connect the 4 port USB charger to cigaretter lighter.
2. Connect existing front Mobius to one USB port.
3. Connect the 10m cable to second USB port.
4. Connect a regular USB to mini USB cable at the other end, and then to the camera.

Do you see any issues with this setup? My main concerns are
a. whether Mobius will have issues with a 10m cable?
b. will this being an 'active' cable cause any problem considering that I will be connecting a normal USB cable at the end?

If you have any other recommendation (especially for the cable), please let me know. My car is a 2007 Camry LE.

I think it would be better to hardwire the rear camera rather than a very long USB cable off of an adapter.

I got mine running off the power magic pro with twin wire going down the back and a 12v-5v converter up near the camera and camera plugged into it there.

U should be fine, I ran mine using a 15ft cable to my cig lighter through the rear seats. Assuming you got sedan

30ft would have been much better tho

I'd be more tempted to run a 12v supply to the rear of the car (single cable carrying live, and take earth off convenient point) then use a convertor with a short USB lead.
It'd be nice if the Mobius guys could come up with a longer lens cable.

For anybody coming across this thread, the USB cable I purchased didn't work. Mobius just goes into standby (I think) with that cable.

For anybody coming across this thread, the USB cable I purchased didn't work. Mobius just goes into standby (I think) with that cable.

I wonder if your cable is bad? I have the exact same extension you listed and I use it to power a DropCam. I tested my new Mobius v3 with it and it worked with no problems at all.

I'm not using the extension as I don't need it for my application, but I'll post up my first video with the Mobius as my rear dash cam. Very pleased with this little camera! I've got to still see how it handles at night though.

Seen a photo somewhere on how to make a connection in to the rear wipers electrical supply for the rear camera to save running a cable to the front of the vehicle and seem to recall you do not tap into wires 1 & 3 because it's not a 12v supply.......anyone know anything about this

Seen a photo somewhere on how to make a connection in to the rear wipers electrical supply for the rear camera to save running a cable to the front of the vehicle and seem to recall you do not tap into wires 1 & 3 because it's not a 12v supply.......anyone know anything about this

I have no idea what kind of car you have. My car has no rear window wiper. The best thing to do is look at a service manual. Then you can find out which wire is always electrically active if there is one. You may also use a test light or multimeter to check for electrical power. However, you will want to do this with your ignition on and off. You do not want to tap into a wire that is always on just like you do not want to tap into a wire that is never powered.

I have no idea what kind of car you have. My car has no rear window wiper. The best thing to do is look at a service manual. Then you can find out which wire is always electrically active if there is one. You may also use a test light or multimeter to check for electrical power. However, you will want to do this with your ignition on and off. You do not want to tap into a wire that is always on just like you do not want to tap into a wire that is never powered.

Thanks for your suggestion have a Skoda Yeti so has a rear hatch with wiper will have to try and find the manual

I wonder if your cable is bad? I have the exact same extension you listed and I use it to power a DropCam. I tested my new Mobius v3 with it and it worked with no problems at all.

Thank you. Since that cable didn't work for me, I ordered 2 of these: Nippon Labs Black 15 ft. USB cable A/Male to A/Female extension 15ft USB cable Model USB-15-MF-BK 15 feet.
With those cables, even with 2 of them back to back, camera was recording. Unfortunately, there is some kind of strange noise on the recording's audio (even if I try with one 15 ft cable).

So, I finally ended up buying this cigarette lighter extension cable: BESTEK® 12V 24V Cigarette Lighter Plug Cigarette Lighter Socket 12-Foot Extension Cord MRS301D
I did a quick test, and it seems to be working fine.

Back