Windows Video App

munengr

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Does anyone have a recommendation on a good free windows PC app that will allow you to zoom in on A139P recorded video to pick out license plates/etc? Looking for something that is easy to use if possible. thanks in advance

I use VLC to view and zoom into my dashcam videos. Its default view has Always Fit to Window checked (right-mouse menu / Video / Always Fit to Window) so it scales what you see to the VLC window size. If you uncheck this option then you can use right-mouse / Video / Zoom to select 2:1 size. What I find more useful is to press the little camera icon (in the bottom toolbar row) so VLC saves a full-size snapshot to your Pictures folder at the full video resolution (regardless of viewing scale). Then view that picture in your favorite Windows picture viewing tool (Photos, Paint, etc.) and zoom in as you like into the license plate area.

I use VLC's advance-one-frame toolbar button along the bottom to move the video frame-by-frame until I think the license plate is most clear, then snapshot various frames before viewing and zooming into the photos to examine the license plate. VLC is good for examining video but when you want to see the corresponding GPS location then use a dashcam-oriented tool like Dashcam Viewer.

Does anyone have a recommendation on a good free windows PC app that will allow you to zoom in on A139P recorded video to pick out license plates/etc? Looking for something that is easy to use if possible. thanks in advance
KENWOOD VIDEO PLAYER
It has the ability to automatically add video from different cameras and play on one screen with the ability to switch between cameras. It is possible to cut the file from two cameras at once and glue it into one video file. Can enlarge the image
Does not display geotags. When editing, saves in .mov format

Attachments

• Kenwood.png
    Kenwood.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 6
This is the most easy method: if you just want a free video player to make zoom on the videos just to search if you can see the car license numbers you can use MPC-BE.
Use Numpad to increase the zoom by pressing 9. To zoom out press 1. Press 5 to restore de zoom to 0%.
To move the zoomed area on the window player press CTRL+2, or +4, or +6 or +8.
Go frame by frame with Ctrl + Left and Ctrl + Right.

If you will find the needed frame let the video on pause and press Alt+i and save the image as PNG. Then with a photo software make the zoom you need.

Hello munengr.

munengr: "[...] any [...] recommendation on a [...] free windows PC app that will allow [...] to zoom in on A139P recorded video to pick out license plates/etc?"

All of the following is from this:

dct_050423_002.jpg

1.) Open file in VLC (player).
2.) Go here:

dct_050423_005.jpg

3.) Go to `Geometry` and do this. You get a PIP-window and PIPIP-window. Adjust the PIPIP-window to your needs and move it to the object to magnify:

dct_050423_003.jpg

4.) Result:

dct_050423_004.jpg

5.) Go to ´Video effects`, `Essentials`, use the sliders. Result:

dct_050423_001.jpg

Back