Wiring C3 to motorcycle (2015 BMW s1000rr)

Vaibhav

Reaction score
Country
United States
Guys,

I am pulling my hair out. I am 'hoping' to install innovv c3 as a dashcam. My expectation is, when the bike is on, the camera would record, and when I turn the ignition off, the camera would turn off. The camera is configured to "record on power".

I used two approaches.

Approach # 1
I used an add a circuit to extend the accessory circuit (fuse # 6) on the bike. The output of this goes into the red/blue wire of included power supply (labeled Car GPS exclusive power box). The black wire from the power supply goes to ground (tapped a screw on to the frame).

Behavior -

Test 1 -
Turn ignition switch on (but engine not running yet) - Camera turns on.
Turn ignition switch off - Camera turns off
Result: As expected.

Test 2 -
Turn ignition switch on (but engine not running yet) - Camera turns on and starts recording.
Turn engine on - Camera turns off
Turn ignition switch off - Camera stays off
Result: FAIL!!

Test 3 -
Turn ignition switch on (but engine not running yet) - Camera turns on and starts recording.
Turn engine off - Camera stays off
Turn engine on - Camera turn on again and starts recording .
Turn engine off - Camera continues recording.
ignition switch off - Camera turns off.

Approach 2 - Switch the fuse from "accessory power" to headlight.
Behavior -
ignition switch off - Camera stays on and continues to record. Unsure how long it would do this, but this was a frustrating change.
Result: WTF!!!

Approach 3 - Try other fuses ( I tried them all) - They all do this
ignition switch off - Camera turns off.

Approach 4 - Bring in a relay switch.
I went out and bought a relay switch(Novita RL44) and used this as a guide. The Pin 87 goes to power supply's red/blue wire combo. Pin 86 is connected to "add a circuit fuse". 85 is grounded and 30 goes directly to battery.

Same behavior.

Oh I should also mention, if I switch the ignition and turn engine on right away (as quickly as humanly possible) the camera comes on a records. But this doesn't give the bike time to do its diagnostics. I don't know if its "necessary" per say, but I am sure as heck not risking it (or adding the hassle of doing this everytime to my life) just to have a dash cam.

What am I doing wrong? Anyone have any tips? I like the thought of always have a front and rear facing camera, but I am starting to think its just too much hassle with innovv.

It looks like when start the bike, power is interrupted, causing the C3 to power down. I don't think your relay will work, it will cause the same problem. When you turn on acc, the relay is energized and power is provided from the battery. When you crank, the relay loses power, and the battery connection is lost.

I'm not familiar with that power supply you are using. Any ideas why it has two wires on the positive side? I'm wondering if that unit is already capable of delivering power from the battery itself, with one wire on the battery and the other on ACC? Got a manual for it?

Otherwise, you need to look for a power supply that can provide some power during cranking. Don't know of any myself, but maybe others can suggest.

Thanks yooshaw. I agree with your analysis. The power supply does have two wires (red and blue) that were connected together. I attempted to do the following -
Red - battery
Blue - fuse (power on acc)
Black - ground

That didn't help. The behaviour is exactly the same.

I havent tried it yet, but I suppose I can try the opposite. I.e.
Red - fuse (power on acc)
Blue - battery
Black - ground.

If that doesn't work, can someone suggest a power supply? What are others using?

Thank you for the pointer. I will ask there as well.

Do you have any diagram of what you're doing?
I'm a bit confused as to where you're tapping into to get an on/off power.

But just to make sure, your fuse goes from the positive on the battery to the relay on 30, exits on 87.
Your negative comes in from the battery at 85, exits at 86. I always get confused with the negative but that seems right.
If your camera starts and records with the engine off and not on, it sounds like it's just not getting power at the right time.

Here's a diagram I found online:
relay_diagram_02.gif

Basically, your headlight/license plate/anything turns on with the bike to trigger the power to your device should go to 85.

We made other one, it is same.

图形2-1.jpg

Back