Wiring GPS antenna to 3.5mm plug

Lokstar

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello, I am new to the forum but have been using a dash camera for a few years. My previous camera was a "Vehicle Blackbox DVR" that came with a GPS antenna ( wired to a micro USB plug.)
I would love any knowledge that could be provided on how to wire (if possible) this antenna (picture attached) to a 3.5mm plug used by my current camera, the A118.
I have also attached a picture of the plug used by the A118/GPS unit.
Thank you.

Attachments

• GPS antenna.jpg
    GPS antenna.jpg
    179.6 KB · Views: 49
  • img_5367.jpg
    img_5367.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 41
the GPS you have is a different chipset but a quick look at the whitepaper for that model suggests that the RMC data output is in the same format as the model that it does use, if wired correctly there's a good chance that it would work, no guarantees but it does look like it could

Thank you both jokiin and Peter. One answered my subsiquent question and the other answered one I didn't even think to ask.
My receiver has 4 wires. Anyone have any thoughts on what they signal?
My impression is:
Black - GND
Red - VCC
Green - RXD (receive)
White - TXD (transmit)

Why would this unit need a receive if the above is correct?
thanks

Last edited:
The original GPS receiver also has 4 terminals, the RXD is left unconnected. So, you can safely do the same, just leave your green wire unconnected.

Why the RXD connection? If the unit supports A-GPS, it may be used to upload GPS Almanac data (if you have that from e.g. WiFi or mobile broadband networks) to have a faster TFF, or maybe for configuring the decive from a computer. Obviously, the A118 noesn't have any Internet connection, nor it will ever want to configure the GPS receiver. It merely wants to listen to the NMEA data stream from the GPS. For this, the TX wire is sufficient, no need for an extra wire, and an extra connector terminal.

Thank you both jokiin and Peter. One answered my subsiquent question and the other answered one I didn't even think to ask.
My receiver has 4 wires. Anyone have any thoughts on what they signal?
My impression is:
Black - GND
Red - VCC
Green - RXD (receive)
White - TXD (transmit)

Why would this unit need a receive if the above is correct?
thanks

Back