Would 24/7 Recording be an issue?

Toy71Camaro

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Blueskysea B1W
Just purchased/installed a Blueskysea B1W Dashcam in my 2012 Pilot and I used a hard-wired kit so it works with "Parking Mode".

However, after reading a few posts here, Parking Mode isn't automatic (i assumed it would trigger off the G-Sensor, but I'm reading that's not the case). So, that means I either have to manually put it in parking mode via the phone app (which, is sometimes a pain to have it connect I've noticed) OR get the updated firmware for the "double tap" option. But, is it going to pose a problem if the Cam is NOT put in parking mode, and just records 24/7? The car's a daily driver, so only in rare circumstances would it be sitting for more than 3 days max (I'd pull the cam out if that were the case).

So, feedback on running it 24/7 due to being hardwired and NOT putting into Parking Mode?

PS. My first dash cam, like it thus far. Likely will get a second setup for my wife's car shortly!

Thanks!
Albert

The camera will be fine, but 2 Issues to beware of:
  • You will get 10 full hours of video per 64GB if recording continuously, so you might want a big memory card if you are not to loose some.
  • It will slowly empty your car battery if you don't drive enough miles, so you may want to make sure you have a low voltage cut off that will leave enough power in the battery to be able to start the car, and disconnect it if you are away on holiday for a week or two.
However, after reading a few posts here, Parking Mode isn't automatic (i assumed it would trigger off the G-Sensor, but I'm reading that's not the case).
Not currently the case, watch out for firmware updates ;)

11 hours.. damn. Ok. I'll have to check into a bigger card I suppose, til they can get something better automated with the firmware.

I forgot to mention the hardwire kit I installed DOES have the low voltage cut off on it. So it won't drain the battery.

Thanks for the info!

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

11 hours.. damn. Ok. I'll have to check into a bigger card I suppose, til they can get something better automated with the firmware.

I forgot to mention the hardwire kit I installed DOES have the low voltage cut off on it. So it won't drain the battery.

Thanks for the info!

I record continuously on my b1w. I hardwired a Cellink b battery pack, which only takes 1 hour to fully charge while driving and then keeps recording while parked for over 24 hours.

Thanks Gent's...

Ordered a 2nd camera setup for my wife's car, and ordered a couple 128gb cards to use instead of the 64gb.

Also waiting on the updated/beta firmware to enable/disable parking mode with the double button tap. Hopefully i can remember to turn it on/off, but at least i'll get roughly 24hrs of video out of the 128gb cards. lol

Which 128 GB cards did you order. I just found from another thread that some have found the B1W will work with a 128 GB card but only card mentioned was a Samsung EVO Plus. Wondering if it will be picky on what larger capacity cards it will work well with.

Last edited:
I have 3 B1W's all purchased within the last few weeks and their manuals state they support 64gb of memory max. Has their been a new firmware update that allows support for larger cards ??
I think it is a case of them not being tested with larger cards before the manual was written.
They are known to work with 128GB cards, and nobody has said that they don't work with larger cards.

Nigel You caught me right before I thought to do some quick reading from other threads then change my statement. :rolleyes:

Which 128 GB cards did you order. I just found from another thread that some have found the B1W will work with a 128 GB card but only card mentioned was a Samsung EVO Plus. Wondering if it will be picky on what larger capacity cards it will work well with.
That's the card I went with. 40ish on Amazon. 10 year warranty.

Parking Mode isn't automatic (i assumed it would trigger off the G-Sensor, but I'm reading that's not the case)
We are working on this automatic parking mode firmware, will release when it is ready to go!

I think it is a case of them not being tested with larger cards before the manual was written.
They are known to work with 128GB cards, and nobody has said that they don't work with larger cards.

Just wanted to say thanks for this information. The ability to use 128GB cards is interesting, particularly since a "standard" 128GB card is priced about the same as a High Endurance 64GB card. 128GB will obviously give a much longer period of recording history before overwriting, which is great, and perhaps also permit the standard card to last longer, as it will effectively receive only half of the write cycles for a given amount of time. (20 hours on a 64GB card would fill the entire card twice, but would only fill a 128GB card once.)

Back