Would A800 work without battery?

Lock

Reaction score
Country
Spain
I have just installed my A800 with the hardware kit and everything seems to be working fine. Parking mode is not very sensitive but ok. I am wondering If I could remove the battery that is inside the dashcam since it is connected to the 12v battery and this way preventing overheating and leaking of the lithium battery on hot summer days.

Thanks.

it is likely to be unstable if the battery is removed, any loss of power would cause corrupt files also, better to just turn it off on the hotter days, an unreliable camera is not useful

it is likely to be unstable if the battery is removed, any loss of power would cause corrupt files also, better to just turn it off on the hotter days, an unreliable camera is not useful
But It would not lose power since it is connected though the hardwire kit right?. Just disconnecting the cam would not be enought because it is still inside the car and in hot summer days while parked it can reach really high temperatures. Just a bit worried because the baterry is right by the windshield where the sun hits it directly.

The usual failure mode of LiPo batteries in dashcams is swelling and loss of capacity; usually not catastrophic unless you ignore it ;)

In very hot climates such as yours a LiPo equipped cam is a bad choice. That's why almost all of the better cams now use supercaps which withstand the heat :cool:

Better to get a cam that works for you than to try to alter one which doesn't
. Plenty of good cams using supercaps at all price levels these days so you're not forced to put up with problems like this anymore.

Phil

The usual failure mode of LiPo batteries in dashcams is swelling and loss of capacity; usually not catastrophic unless you ignore it ;)

In very hot climates such as yours a LiPo equipped cam is a bad choice. That's why almost all of the better cams now use supercaps which withstand the heat :cool:

Better to get a cam that works for you than to try to alter one which doesn't. Plenty of good cams using supercaps at all price levels these days so you're not forced to put up with problems like this anymore.

Phil
Yeah, I just realized teh bad choice after installing it. That's why I am looking for a work around. I might try to just remove it and see how it works.

Not sure if the cam will; functuion that way, and as Jokiin said it will not save the last file if power gets cut due to collision etc. I don't think it would brick the cam but that's always a possibility because it's designed to have that battery in it.

You can certainly try and please share your results with us if you do :)

Phil

the battery also works to stablise the voltage, I suspect it would start misbehaving if the battery was removed, if it even works

I have just installed my A800 with the hardware kit and everything seems to be working fine. Parking mode is not very sensitive but ok. I am wondering If I could remove the battery that is inside the dashcam since it is connected to the 12v battery and this way preventing overheating and leaking of the lithium battery on hot summer days.

Thanks.
You remove battery run one cable and connect it to one powerbank keeping it in glovebox or in safe area. That is the solution. You need to use some diodes to charge powerbank and deliver power back to battery.

Back