Would this work?

dave843

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm looking for a dashcam that is pretty well hidden. It looks like the Street Guardian cameras get good reviews. I'm looking at the SG9663DR. Would the external, weatherproof rear camera (DCWRC323) work with the DR?

No i dont think that rear WP camera work for the DR, but jest to be safe let me tag in the SG boss. @jokiin

O and BTW welcome to the forum Dave.

If you are driving a truck a camera in the rear window is also guarding the content on your bed, but yeah that in turn do block view of plates out back.
I think SG are going to make a WP cam that could play ball with the DR model ? i seem to recall some whispering of that.

Could also have been scrapped, there is a lot of balls getting thrown around in the SG labs. :)

What you driving ? the wedge shaped cameras can also be very stealthy if you can mount then part way up a dotted area on the windscreen so just the bottom with the lens peek out below.
The wedge cameras are often misunderstood for size, but they are still a favorite of mine even if i have also gotten a SG9663DR camera to test, and i do hope the notion of remote cameras will stay with us CUZ i like those too.

What you driving ? the wedge shaped cameras can also be very stealthy if you can mount then part way up a dotted area on the windscreen so just the bottom with the lens peek out below.
The wedge cameras are often misunderstood for size, but they are still a favorite of mine even if i have also gotten a SG9663DR camera to test, and i do hope the notion of remote cameras will stay with us CUZ i like those too.
I think I can do something fairly stealthy up front. It's the back that seems pretty hard. There just isn't anything to cover the camera.

If I were to mount the camera a few inches from the back window on the back deck, I will probably get reflections, right?

Reflections can occur at any distance from the glass, but many times they are not of enough magnitude to matter. And a CPL usually handles them well when they are objectionable so I wouldn't be too concerned about it. IMHO your goal when mounting a cam should be to get the view you need while being as stealthy as that will allow. Almost always a perfect spot to meet those needs.

Phil

In my car which is a little JAP 5 door hatchback, the very flat and vertical rear glass do indeed pick up reflections of headlights on cars coming towards me, even if my lenses are almost touching the glass.
But it is not much of a issue i think, but it is something you notice driving on a pitch black highway, but in a city environment with ambient light it dont really matter.
Also this is a low light phenomenon and then little details are already pretty much impossible to capture.
For daytime i dont see a problem even if most cars here have light on or for new cars pretty potent LED daylight running lights.

I do also have a CPL filter on one of my 2 current rear cameras, but it is there to allow me to see into cars behind me, i did not think of reflections at all.

I have this motorway footage, where you can see reflections, but nothing to worry about. ( camera do have CPL )

I am also a big fan of stealth,,,,, though hard to get as a tester which some timed have 10 + cameras in the car ( not 10 systems ) ATM i am low with one 3 channel system / two dual channel systems / and my trusty long range camera, so only 8 cameras in the car ATM.

It is especially something i want on my rear hatch / window as the car is flat so you drive up pretty close to it, so i have the 2 cameras there mounted off the hatch steel and just peeking below the top of the glass where i am fortunate my rear wiper do give coverage.
Old pic of my rear hatch when i just had 1 camera there.

img_20180412_191820-jpg.37452

img_20180412_191843-jpg.37453

We have a thread with post pics of your install, you can browse it backwards to see what people have done with different cameras in different cars, after all the layout on the windscreen do have a say in what is to expect.
Something i like with wedge cameras is at least on the windscreen they often look just like another sensor there, at least on modern cars like that, my cheap 2012 car dont even have aircon and big tech in it is the airbags.

Back