YDI G80 Action Camera 4K

Emy

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
I am new possessor of an Action Camera YDI G80. I purchased one (based on a good review on amazon UK)
This one is equipped with Novatek 96660 Chipset and SONY 079 Sensor, seller claims.
Most of you have knowledge regarding these action cameras. The market is polluted with lots of these, now most of them are ready for 4k, real or fake I do not know!
What I would like to know is, - is it really that good that the reviewer sold all the other (GoPros) and kept this one?
I could not find this brand, "YDI" on listed forum action cameras!
Thank you.

The IMX 078 as i recall are not able of doing true 4K

Never trust reviews on buying sites like amazon - ebay, there are people making a few dollars a day making fake product reviews, and its not negative ones they make.

Thanks for reply. So basically is not IMX079, but IMX078? There is any difference between them?
In fact i am not into 4k, I do not have any hardware to play it! I just wanted to have, just in case I need.
I should have got the SOOCOO S300 4K, it ticks all the boxes. It has dedicated website, firmware updates, as for customer support, I do not know.

Last edited:
I see now. Thank you.
I do not know why they advertise as 4k if is not real 4k ....... maybe to attract buyers.
Even with 96660 chipset and IMX 078, there are action cameras well over 100 euros. I do not know why!

I wasent aware there are a IMX079, i just assumed it was a typo.

I got Yi 4k+ with gimpal 275 pound. It was a promotion, now is gone.
I was thinking to get Soocoo S300 but I got Yi 4k + instead. I ll see if I did the right thing or not!
I will send the other one back, the YDI G80.

Can someone tell me why the YI 4k+ in low light is so poor compared with YDI G80. YDI in semidark room makes the room like day time, the YI 4k+ with default settings does not make any difference.

Some sensors do better in low light than others, mostly up to the individual size of the pixels on the sensor ( large pixel capture more light )

Thank you for reply.
So, the 96660 chipset with IMX079 16 MP sensor does far much better than IMX377 12 MP sensor and Ambarella H2, in terms of low light, it is huge difference.
Shooting in 4k there is no difference in terms of playback quality unless you have 4k hardware to play it, a TV, am I right?
I compared both cameras shooting 1080P 60FPS, no much difference in terms of quality. The only difference could be, I think, in 4k shooting with YI 4k+.
Even in standby mode the sensor of Yi 4k+ is darker.

Attachments

• IMG_20180123_102930.jpg
    IMG_20180123_102930.jpg
    255.5 KB · Views: 4
Back