The Lukas LK-7950 WD is one of the latest cameras released by the Korean manufacturer Qrontech. This is a full featured dual channel camera with 1080p recording for both the front and rear cameras. The LK-7950 WD is based on the Texas Instruments TMS320DM8148 processor which controls both cameras. The front and rear cameras both have Sony Exmor IMX322 image sensors.
The front camera records at 1080p 30fps with a bit rate of 7Mbps. The rear camera records at 1080p 24fps with a bit rate of 5Mbps. This camera has very good video quality during the day and good video quality at night for the front camera. The rear camera is a slightly worse due to the lower bit rate and lower fps. The Panorama X2 (2 processors and higher bitrate) has slightly better video quality but the LK-7950-WD is not that far behind.
What makes the Lukas stand out is the number of features provided:
- Dual Memory: Uses a full size SD card (max 256GB) for normal video and a microSD card (max 256GB) for event footage
- The front and rear cameras are separate files but the viewer software synchronizes them for viewing
- WiFi capability with Android and iOS apps
- Many adjustment settings (including adjusting for tinted windows) and even allows adjustments to me made while the camera is recording
- Extreme operating temperature capability of -30C to 80C
- Built-in low voltage cut-off
- UV Filter and CPL Filter
- Ability to define the motion detection area
- Auto-format function
- Excellent Lukas viewer program
- Optional Built-in GPS which provides the capability to trip distance
- Optional OBDII connectivity
If you are looking for the most feature rich dual dash cam, the LK-7950 WD is one of the best for 2015.
While most Korean Dual Cameras have a large touch screen, the LK-7950 WD only has a simple LED on the back of the camera. However there are some things to be aware of:
- The biggest drawback is the large size of the front camera at 109mm x 99mm x 38mm. The rear camera is much more discreet
- The clear holders are somewhat visible when installed. Full black would be a bit more discreet.
- The LK-7950 WD was designed to be used for parking mode and no cigarette lighter supplied. A 3-wire hardwire ( battery, acc, ground) is provided and this is typically connected to the fuse box. You can order an optional cigarette lighter connector if necessary
Here is a size comparison of the G90 with the LK-7950 WD
Rear camera vs Mobius, Mini 0805 and Mini 0806
Panorama S vs LK-7950 WD
I’m guessing you’ll see the same problems – last files that won’t play in the Lukas Viewer and issues with the milage covered shown in the video footer.
The LK-7950 WD calculates the mileage of trips. On some trips, the mileage calculated appears to be incorrect (too high). This appears to be a firmware issue.
Occasionally the last files saved show up as corrupted when trying to play in the Lukas Viewer or standard Windows Media Player. However they play correctly in VLC. This problem has not been resolved yet.
Mounting the Camera
G90 vs LK-7950 WD
Rexing F9 vs G90 vs LK-7950 WD
G1WH vs LK-7950 WD rear camera
LK-7950 WD vs Panorama X2
Please Select 1080p from Youtube settings at bottom right corner.
Day Video – Front
Day Video – Rear
Night Video – Front
Night Video – Rear
Should I Purchase?
The Lukas LK-7950 WD is one of the best dual cameras available today. It records 1080p for both the front and rear and is loaded with more features than any other dash cam we have seen.
However there are a few drawbacks. While video quality is one of the best for a dual camera it appears to be a bit worse than the Panorama X2, likely due to the lower bit rate (note that the Panorama X2 stability has not been the greatest). The front camera is a bit large, worse than the BlackVue form factor but better than the Panorama X2. The rear camera is very discreet.
Overall, if you are looking for a full featured dual camera, the LK-7950 WD can’t be beat. The camera can be found for under $300, which makes it a reasonable value since you are getting 2 cameras and so many features. Quite an impressive camera if reliability is good.
See what other owners have to say at our LK-7950 Forum.
Where to purchase for lowest price
This camera is available from Amazon and eBay.
Published: April 9, 2015