- 1 Mini 080X Comparison
- 2 Mini 0806 Pro
- 3 Known problems
- 4 GoPro Clip Mount
- 5 Sample Videos
- 6 Should I Purchase?
- 7 Where to purchase for lowest price
- 8 Firmware
- 9 User Manual
- 10 Specifications
The Mini 0806 dashboard camera is the latest in the series of Mini 080X cameras released in December 2014. While the Mini 0801, 0802 and 0803 used the same external casing, the 0806 is a completely redesigned casing with many more cooling holes. The Mini 0806 uses the same Ambarella A7LA50 processor and Omnivision OV4689 CMOS sensor as the Mini 0805.
Video quality during the day is very good and night quality is good. Overall, the Mini 0806 has the best video quality out of the Mini Series, slightly better than the Mini 0805 likely due to the different lens being used. Bit rates of 15Mbps, 18Mbps and 21Mbps can be selected. Initial reports for both the Mini 0805 and Mini 0806 is that they run cooler than the Mini 0803.
The Mini 0806 is quite small at 65x37x35mm, has a 1.5″ screen and G-sensor. The Mini 0806 typically comes with GPS which is built into the mount (weighs 18 grams). If you receive a camera with a lighter mount (6 grams), this is the non-GPS mount.
But note that attaching and removing the Mini 0806 to the mount is a bit difficult when new. Be careful on how much pressure is applied to the mount. Owners indicate the mount loosens up with repetitive installs / removals.
The primary improvements the Mini 0806 has over the Mini 0805 include:
- Two external MicroSD cards (0805 has 1)
- Higher quality 135° lens (0805 has 120°)
- 3 separate LEDs for camera functions (0805 has one case hole with 2 LEDs)
- Numerous cooling holes
- Magnetic ring for CPL mounting
- Optional Parking Guard Mount
Our member Mtz has created a video review here:
Mini 080X Comparison
The following photo from our member Mtz compares the Mini 0803, Mini 0805 and Mini 0806. While the Mini 0803 and 0805 have identical cases, the Mini 0806 uses a completely redesigned case.
A quick comparison table of the Mini 0801, 0803, 0805 and 0806 has been prepared by the Mini 0806 team.
Checking the video resolution that your camera supports is the easiest way to know which Mini 080X version you have.
Mini 0806 Pro
The Mini 0806 Pro version of this camera has been released as well with a few minor cosmetic changes:
- Rubber plating housing
- Glass panel on the screen
- Rubber buttons
GPS Not Working
A number of owners have indicated the GPS does not work or takes a long time for the satellites to catch. In some cases internal cables were getting trapped / damaged within the camera. The molding has been updated in the second batch of cameras sent to correct this issue. They also have improved the electromagnetic shielding which should improve GPS reception which appears to be weak in this camera.
If you are experiencing this problem, make sure you actually received a GPS mount (weighs 18 grams vs the non-GPS mount which weighs 6 grams).
Also make sure the GPS setting is turned on in the menu. Set the GPS Stamping to ON and set Speed Stamping to MPH. Make sure the Camera is in the base and you supply power to the base. After turning it on, watch for the blinking green LED. When it stops blinking, the GPS has established a fix. It can take anywhere from 30 seconds to 8 minutes for it to stop blinking.
Also try recording with 1920×1080 30fps 16:9 resolution. GPS may not work with 1920×1080 45fps 16:9 resolution.
Finally try using the camera outdoors to see if the car is causing GPS interference. If none of these solve the problem, you will need to return for replacement or disassemble the camera to fix.
One of our members, WalterBiH, disassembled the camera to fix the problem. The instructions are as follows:
1. Disassemble the camera (Rotate to the following position then insert your nail and move it forward).
Check to see if the GPS wire is pinched / stripped by the camera body.
Check to see if the GPS wire has come off the PCB terminal (RX).
Completely disassemble the camera and re-solder the wire.
That should correct the GPS problem.
Out of Focus Video
Some of the owners have indicated that the video is partially out of focus or blurry.
To correct this problem you will need to refocus the lens. This involves disassembling the camera and adjusting the focus. Alternatively you can send it back for replacement. This is a quality control issue from the first batch and the manufacturer has indicated that newer batches are being more closely checked for focus before shipping.
GoPro Clip Mount
One of our members wanted an easier way to attach and remove the Mini 0806 from his car. He used a GoPro Clip Mount to do this. The DIY instructions are as follows:
- Cut the top off the GoPro clip mount
- Epoxy a piece of 1/8 inch thick plastic from any scrap you have
about as big as the gps pad on the Mini 0806
Stick the Mini GPS pad to the plastic pad with some 3M pull to remove tape
- Stick the female part of the mount to the windshield.
- Then you can unclip the mini as many times as you like without worrying about the pins or slider on the original mount.
A118 (top) vs Mini 0806 (bottom)
Should I Purchase?
The Mini 0806 is the latest in the Mini Series and quite similar to the Mini 0805. Price is a bit higher but initial quality has been hit or miss. If the bugs get worked out, this could be a great camera. While the Mini 0805 is a better value due to the lower price, the Mini 0806 has a few better features. The Mini 0806 also has been regularly providing firmware updates publicly which is good from a support perspective.
Like the Mini 0805, the Mini 0806 is an overall great camera for the money. Reliability is the wild card for this camera. If the newer batches of the Mini 0806 improve on quality control, this camera is a definite buy but it is advisable to wait and see. To see what other owners are saying, visit our Mini 0806 Forum.
Where to purchase for lowest price
This camera primarily sells for approximately $120 from a number of online vendors:
- Gearbest Try coupon code GB0806
- Amazon.com, Amazon.co.uk, Amazon.ca, Amazon.fr, Amazon.es, Amazon.it, Amazon.de
WARNING! MAKING CHANGES TO YOUR FIRMWARE ARE PERFORMED AT YOUR OWN RISK. WE ARE NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGE TO YOUR DASH CAM AS A RESULT OF THESE INSTRUCTIONS.
Firmware Update Instructions
- Format the MicroSD Card
- Extract the FIRMWARE.BIN ﬁle to the root folder of your microSD card
- Insert the card into your mini0806 camera and power on.
- The camera will auto examine the FIRMWARE.BIN ﬁle and popup a conﬁrmation dialogue, press the UP or DOWN button to choose YES and press OK to upgrade.
- The camera will shut down automatically after upgrading is completed.
The latest firmware can be found on the Mini 0806 site.
Bricked Mini 0806
If your brick your Mini 0806 camera after upgrading, you may be able to recover it using DirectUSB.
- Make a cable with Pin 4/5 shorted on micro usb (or use a OTG cable with male to male usb plug)
- Download the DirectUSB Software. Extract the archive you have just downloaded
- Plug the Mini 0806 into the PC, it should make a sound to say new hardware plugged in, or an unknown device appears in device manager (If it doesn’t, unplug device and hold power button for 20 seconds until light goes out and plug back in). On windows 7 manually install the drivers, point to the folder you have just extracted, then go to DirectUSB/Drivers. If it doesn’t work, please re-check the cable.
- Let it install, then install the C++ distribution packs for your OS.
- Run Direct USB
- Click connect, make sure it detects device and says init dram ok.
- Select relevant firmware file under firmware, then click Upload, it should all go smoothly, this process is quite quick, as soon as it stops doing the flash it will show a full green bar and OK.
- Unplug the Mini 0806, hold power till LED light goes off, then turn it on and it should boot up.
The English User Manual can be downloaded here.
|Lock Files||Auto or Button|
|Max Resolution||1296p @ 30 fps|
|Max Bitrate (Mbps)||21|
|Diagonal Viewing Angle||135°|
|SD Card Type||Dual MicroSD|
|Max Size (Spec)||128GB + 128GB|
|Max Size (User)||128GB + 128GB|
|Size (mm)||65 x 37 x 35|
|Operating Temp||0˚C to 40˚C|
|Release Date||Dec 2014|
|Unique Features||Lane Departure Warning System|
Front Collision Warning System
Optional Parking Guard Mount
|Advantages||Compact and discreet|
Good video quality
|Disadvantages||Initial quality complaints|
|Video Day|| |
|Video Night|| |
|Size / Discreetness|| |
|Available Support|| |
|Overall Rating|| |
|Final Word||The most advanced in the Mini Series but there have been quality complaints in the initial batches.|
Published: February 19, 2015
Updated: March 4, 2015