The Transcend DrivePro 200 is an affordable WiFi capable dashboard camera sold by Transcend, the well known Taiwanese memory card manufacturer (a 16GB Micro SD card is included with the device). While this might be branded as a Transcend camera, Transcend is likely not the manufacturer of this product. Its squarish shape is quite similar to many other “Taiwanese” dash cams like the HP F210.
The camera records 1080p at 30 frames per second and has a bit rate of 15 Mbps. The DrivePro 200 has very good video quality during the day and good video quality at night.
The camera comes with a G-sensor and 2.4″ screen but no GPS. Overall build quality is quite good as well. This is a medium sized camera at 67mm × 72mm × 34.3mm but the squarish form factor is not the most discreet. Also there is a shiny silver ring around the lens which makes the camera more noticeable when installed.
The main feature is the Wi-Fi capability this camera offers which allows for live streaming, transferring of video files and configuring the device.
We are big fans of WiFi capability due to the following reasons:
- Recordings can be viewed on a smartphone (Android Phone or iPhone), inside the car or even nearby
- Can backup any interesting video files to a smartphone (i.e. if you need to give the Micro SD card to the police, you will have a backup)
- Could delete any video files from the camera using a smartphone
- Can configure any setting for the camera using a smartphone
We recommend using 1 minute clip size for this camera if you plan on using the WiFi function to transfer select clips to your smartphone. A 1 minute clip is about 300MB and will take a few minutes to transfer to your phone.
Date and Time Resets
Many owners have indicated that the date and time resets if the camera is not used for a few days and you will need to enter the setup procedure again. Transcend indicates the date and time settings are maintained for about 4 days without external power.
This is likely due to a low capacity super capacitor used in this camera. There is no resolution unless you are willing to replace the capacitor with a bigger one.
Does not start recording
A few owners have indicated that the DrivePro 200 occasionally does not start recording when the ignition is turned on. You will need to manually press the on button in these cases. This appears to be a rare problem and there is no known resolution.
Mounting the Camera
Should I Purchase?
If you are looking for a WiFi enabled dash cam, the Transcend DrivePro 200 is a good value. Video quality is good (but not the greatest) and build quality is good. Unfortunately the form factor is not as discreet as we would like and GPS is not included.
For the money this is a good buy if you want WiFi. If WiFi is not important, consider a smaller, more discreet camera.
WARNING! MAKING CHANGES TO YOUR FIRMWARE ARE PERFORMED AT YOUR OWN RISK. WE ARE NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGE TO YOUR DASH CAM AS A RESULT OF THESE INSTRUCTIONS.
Firmware Update Instructions
- After downloading firmware, unzip it and then put “DP200.bin” in the root folder in microSD memory card.
- Insert the microSD memory card that contains a newer version of firmware.
- Select Upgrade Firmware from the “Settings” menu and press “OK” to start the firmware detection process. The DrivePro will automatically find the new firmware file.
- Select Upgrade firmware and wait for firmware to upgrade.
- Connect the camera to a power source. Either connect the camera to your car 12v socket or even just via a micro USB to USB cable connection to a computer.
- Ensure the WiFi adapter on the camera is turned on.
- Ensure the latest version of the Drive Pro app is installed on your iPhone/iPad/Android phone or tablet.
- Go into your wifi settings on your mobile device and connect to the DrivePro wifi network.
- Open the app and you should then be prompted to update the firmware.
- Go through the prompts and make sure the device is not disconnected during the process.
- After a minute or so, a message will appear to state the update is complete.
The latest firmware can be found on the Transcend site.
The English user manual can be downloaded here.
Published: July 1, 2014
Updated: January 1, 2015
Transcend DrivePro 200 - DashCamTalk
The Transcend DrivePro 200 is a good buy if you want WiFi. If WiFi is not important, consider a smaller, more discreet camera.
Product SKU: Transcend DrivePro 200
Product Brand: Transcend
Product Currency: USD
Product Price: 170
Price Valid Until: 2023-01-01
Product In-Stock: SoldOut