Bank froze checking account after paying Aliexpress

vta1985

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
GS2000
I ordered a second gs2000, this time from Aliexpress, seller e-prance. A couple days later I tried to use my debit card but each withdrawal was blocked. I went to my bank, they asked me about any out of country purchases and I explained the aliexpress purchase. My account had been locked since that transaction. They went ahead and unlocked my checking.

So if you plan on buying and you don't do international purchases regularly, expect this sort of hassle. I'm not complaining since this precaution is much smarter that allowing a debit being used until an account is cleaned out. But it would have been nice to get a call or email from the bank.

Hi vta1985,

Thanks for sharing. Perhaps credit card is the way to go when buying from Aliexpress.

Yea never use a debit card, esp for something like this.

CC allows better protection and some even extend warrantys.

I tried to buy a GS1000 from the same vendor (E-PRANCE) through AliExpress.

During the initial checkout, after entering my Visa debit card info, the order was 'frozen'. No explanation why or what that meant.

Then I get an email from a Maggie (the seller) saying I tried to make the purchase while Aliexpress was updating their system, and that my money would be refunded in 7-10 days. Well the charge never went through so I don't know how that would be.

Several hours later, I receive an email from Aliexpress saying my payment method had been approved, and I had 20 days to return to the site and pay or the order would be cancelled.

I then tried to pay again with my Visa debit card.. and it failed saying it didn't like the 3 digit code from the back of the card (I think, it wasn't exactly clear.)

I figured it didn't like the card because it's a debit card, so I used my Master Card. That seemed to work, but I was taken to another website asking for all the information a 2nd time, including the last 4 of my social security number and my zip code.. and it wouldn't accept it.

So I gave up. If anyone knows where else to buy one of these cameras in North America, I'm all ears. Meanwhile I'm calling MasterCard and my bank and having them issue new cards. :roll:

Kiran said:
So I gave up. If anyone knows where else to buy one of these cameras in North America, I'm all ears. Meanwhile I'm calling MasterCard and my bank and having them issue new cards. :roll:

what were they charging for the camera?

$120 including shipping to the US.

An update to my saga:

Despite the Aliexpress website rejecting my credit card information, while I was talking to my bank and having them reissue new cards, they said there was a charge from Aliexpress for the $120. Yet the website still shows the order as waiting for payment.

So I strongly warn people against ordering from there.

All these international vendors should look into using Bitcoin. Your account is never frozen and payment is immediate.

Phoenix1 said:
All these international vendors should look into using Bitcoin. Your account is never frozen and payment is immediate.

I'm not sure I'd want to use Bitcoin to receive any significant amount of funds

Ughhhhhhh, same thing just happened to me. I tried to place an order for a GS9000 and during the checkout process, it says the status is "frozen orders" . I wish I saw this thread before placing my order with aliexpress. Different vendor tho, but still the same result it seems. :x

Chad said:
Ughhhhhhh, same thing just happened to me. I tried to place an order for a GS9000 and during the checkout process, it says the status is "frozen orders" . I wish I saw this thread before placing my order with aliexpress. Different vendor tho, but still the same result it seems. :x

any reason to buy from Aliexpress over eBay?

I think PayPal for all their faults are a lot easier to deal with from both a buyers and a sellers perspective

eBay is much better than Aliexpress from a customer perspective. Unfortunately some cameras are not available from eBay vendors.

DashCamMan said:
eBay is much better than Aliexpress from a customer perspective. Unfortunately some cameras are not available from eBay vendors.

from a Chinese perspective setting up an eBay account and PayPal is more involved, you need to provide ID cards, registered bank details, be able to bank foreign currency etc, knowing what's involved in being able to trade on eBay from China I would think there's a higher chance of someone that will stick around so maybe easier from a warranty perspective, that's not to say you won't find vendors that don't do the right thing but getting on eBay in China is a lot tougher than Aliexpress is which perhaps filters some of the poorer sellers out by default

jokiin said:
Chad said:

any reason to buy from Aliexpress over eBay?

I think PayPal for all their faults are a lot easier to deal with from both a buyers and a sellers perspective

I purchase a lot of things on eBay ... But I could not find this specific camera. I feel like there are a lot more fakes on eBay than aliexpress and its so hard to tell the difference. I don't know, maybe I'm wrong.

An update to my situation regarding the "freeze". I received an email this morning stating that my payment was posted successfully. And my order will ship out soon ...I paid extra $$ for shipping, but then I see the "processing time" is like 3 weeks lol. Figures.

Chad said:
An update to my situation regarding the "freeze". I received an email this morning stating that my payment was posted successfully. And my order will ship out soon ...I paid extra $$ for shipping, but then I see the "processing time" is like 3 weeks lol. Figures.

delay would be because of Chinese New Year

I have ordered yesterday on aliexpress (F70G + express delivery), and received email immediately thereafter that my credit card payment has been accepted.

Checking my status today, aliexpress has "cancelled my order for security reasons":

Reminder: Your order has been cancelled for security reasons. The fund for this order hasn't been deducted by AliExpress. However, some banks may hold this payment, and the bank will reverse the payment for up to 7-10 working days before releasing back to the card holder. To avoid order cancellation in the future, please submit a claim for payment verification.

Opening a claim would require to send a copy of the credit card, my ID and a credit card statement. If I remember correctly, fraud protection rules rules of credit cards do not even allow to give away evidence together with your credit card number, your signature (on ID card), as well as a physical or electronic copy of the card itself.

This happened to me for the first time in 25 years using my credit card.

The only reason I can immagine is that I ordered delivery to Germany, but placed the order from Italy, with an italian IP address of course.

However, things seem to get too complicated. I want to pay my order in a simple way immediately after puchase, and receive it thereafter without further burocracy and putting at risk my user protection from my bank, giving away documentation they don`t allow me to give away together with my credit card data. That`s the sense of me using a credit card at all. If I loved hazzle and burocracy, I could wire the payment.

Can anyone point me to a serious vendor where I can order (and pay) a F70G?

Back