Bought a g1wh from ebay. came with a chip ive never heard of.

Bobdudeman1988

Reaction score
Country
United States
i bought a g1wh from ebay from the seller Deal daily and though pm they assured me it was a Novatek processor.

upon opening the camera i found a gpcv2159 processor... anyone heard of this type before? it records at about 16 mb/s and records in MOV. format. haven't tested it yet outside but it looks ok..

btw, new here but long time lurker!

Attachments

• 20151016_161428.jpg
    20151016_161428.jpg
    346.1 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
Hmm, not sure what that is.
If it's real 1080p @ 30fps, then it's at least doing what G1WH supposed to do.

i saw that thread, but i was under the impression it came with the gpl GPCV2169A so i wasnt sure if this was a new breed. totally new at this. i emailed the seller as i wanted the novatek. ill post some videos of it later at night, that will be the real test. unless the main page about the g1w had a typo and ment 5 instead of 6 in the pn. :D

Last edited:
i saw that thread, but i was under the impression it came with the gpl GPCV2169A so i wasnt sure if this was a new breed. totally new at this. i emailed the seller as i wanted the novatek. ill post some videos of it later at night, that will be the real test.
If Novatek is not being produced anymore, how can you get one from any seller?
Also, even if they say Novatek, they won't open it up to check for you so you may still end up with GPxxx.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/221859420074
thats the link. i asked them they said it was a novatek. and i understand they might not all know. hell the chip might be good i have yet to test it. i just wish they knew more on what they where selling ya know?

Chinese sellers for the most part will just repeat whatever is on the box, however that's not always reliable unfortunately

For the time being you can still buy a NT96650/AR0330 based G1WH - G1W-C or G1W-CB from FoxOffer. It would be best to confirm with them before ordering that the anticipated chip is indeed in the camera but FoxOffer is the kind of vendor that when they state that a particular chipset is in the camera, that is what you will get.

Could be a different GP chip. If they've changed once, they could change again but it will probably have the same effect- worse video than before. Waiting to hear and see your results; perhaps they went to a better chip to end the complaints about the GPCV2169a.

Phil

It does have a new feature. 180 degree flip. So thats nice..but the video and sound appear worse than the novatek. At night it really lacks i think.. Ill post some videos up later

It does have a new feature. 180 degree flip. So thats nice..but the video and sound appear worse than the novatek. At night it really lacks i think.. Ill post some videos up later
If you could post some pictures of the menus it would be nice too. :)

My understanding is that the NT96650 isn't capable of doing a 180-degree image 'flip' so it's probably not Novatek or I am wrong about this.

Phil

well here are some videos. audio is terrible and video is not to bad ..but not on par with novatek. it has a higher bit rate but i guess that don't mean too much. the screenshot of the properties says all.

btw the videos are in my bmw, witch dont matter much but at night, the headlights on this car are ds1 bi xenon and are very bright. halogen lamps would yield worse results.

bit.jpg

Last edited:
My understanding is that the NT96650 isn't capable of doing a 180-degree image 'flip' so it's probably not Novatek or I am wrong about this.

Phil

i know, this isnt a novatek chip. its some gpl chip witch im finding out really dont stack up.

@Bobdudeman1988
Thank you for the vids and the investigation you've shared with us. This is the first instance I've seen reported here of the "c" version having a GP chipset and with it being different than before you've helped all of us keep up-to-date regards this cam :) It does seem to be gone downhill compared to before, much like the reports of the "h" version have shown. Without a Novatek chipset I won't be recommending the G1W series to anyone any more, and if it turns out that all the G1W manufacturers (there are several) go with the GP chipset then I expect the G1W series to fade into the dashcam oblivion of junk cams :(

Phil

@Bobdudeman1988
Thank you for the vids and the investigation you've shared with us. This is the first instance I've seen reported here of the "c" version having a GP chipset and with it being different than before you've helped all of us keep up-to-date regards this cam :) It does seem to be gone downhill compared to before, much like the reports of the "h" version have shown. Without a Novatek chipset I won't be recommending the G1W series to anyone any more, and if it turns out that all the G1W manufacturers (there are several) go with the GP chipset then I expect the G1W series to fade into the dashcam oblivion of junk cams :(

Phil

Mine is the battery version g1wh im sorry if i wasn't specific. But its a tiny battery at that. 180mah. Goes dead in about 3 minutes. Its a real shame to see this happen. I had a g1w for a week with the novatek chip and it was great. But i broke it when it took a spill out of my car. I wont be using these anymore unfortunately. I ordered a dome gs98c based on youtube and customer reviews . got it from gearbest. Excited for that to come:)

Geez, you did say it was a G1Wh. I really gotta watch myself better when I'm tired!

Phil

Mine is the battery version g1wh im sorry if i wasn't specific. But its a tiny battery at that. 180mah. Goes dead in about 3 minutes.
Every battery on the battery dashcams only lasts that long.

GS98C is much better than any G1Wxxxxxxx.

Back