Bricked fake GS5000 ...

nachoo

Reaction score
Country
Spain
Hello friends.
I have (I think) a fake gs5000 from ebay: http://www.ebay.es/itm/221173641970
The firmware is 20120929 (two motorbikes when starts)
The menu is (fake) orange. Exactly like the video that you put to show a fake orange menu: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69YPqUZo ... r_embedded
I tried to update the firmware to the one that is shown in viewtopic.php?f=8&t=7&start=40#p892
because I thought that flashing the firmware 201201122 I could get more functions. I did it with the USB system, and the camera died.
I tried some more firmwares (JN01.bin, GPS:v2.0 3gs1kb.bin, hd13up.bin, Tetex DVR-1GP TXH4.35.220512.bin, GPS_V1.1.SG1KB.bin). Only the ones that begin with "GPS" tried to start, but in 2 seconds shut off (I can see the motorbikes, the beginning of the next screen, but it stops)
Is it possible to Unbrick it? I can not find the original firmware 20120929, and I coul not save it before the dissaster. Any ideas? Thank you a lot

Last edited by a moderator:
probably best to email the seller and ask if you can get a copy of the original firmware, it's Chinese New Year now so will likely be 10 days or so before you get any reply though

Now I am trying this method:

Postby Totti » Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:32 pm

timjosten wrote:Hi! I have fake GS1000. This is the one with Orange menu, firmware version 20120929. I bricked it with a wrong firmware from Texet.
It can be resurrected by flasing Texet's F600 ELF firmware image using Ambarella Direct USB. The device will turn on, works as a flash disk, but will not display anything on the screen. This lets you to flash firmware.bin using the built-in firmware update functionality.
Here is the latest firmware 201201122 (22 Nov 2012).
http://www.sendspace.com/file/hv23aa

To unbrick your 'Fake Orange Menu' (version 20120929) GS1000 from any firmware mistake you made, using DirectUSB:
Take the bricked cam, remove the SD card and the USB cable.
Press 'Reset' for about 5 seconds and release.
Press 'REC/OK' and hold. Plug in the USB. AMBA device will show in Windows device manager. Release 'REC/OK'
Follow Firmware Update via USB, using the firmware GPS_v1.1.1SG1KB.elf. This works the same way as Texet's F600 ELF file.
After flashing that file, remove the cam from USB and press 'Reset' for about 5 seconds and release.
Prepare your SD card following the Complete Firmware Update Instructions. For the required firmware, use hd13up.bin as provided by timjosten as above. Insert the SD card into your cam and switch it on. Your cam should be alive again in a few seconds.

but I think that there is a problem with the autoexec.ash file from the "complete firmware instructions". When I open it with notepad it is in one single line... and I think that it does not work because of that... I am trying things. I will tell you later

Open the file with Wordpad. The line breaks should be there.

Ok. That was the problem. But just the same. I can not make it work. I see the bikes and appears the DCIM folder, but the firmware does not flash...

Well, as I told here:
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=7&start=160

I have tried all the firmwares posted here in GS1000 page, and many others. Now I have 3 conclusions:

1- This device does not let you use the SD card system (autoexec.ash).

2- The only way to start de USB direct is: push reset 5 seconds and release, push and hold REC/OK button, connect USB, release REC/OK.

3- I need a 20120929 firmware, like there was in my camera before I destroyed everything. Maybe someone can make a backup of his device and post here... or maybe another solution?.... Thanks!

nachoo said:
Well, as I told here:
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=7&start=160

I have tried all the firmwares posted here in GS1000 page, and many others. Now I have 3 conclusions:

1- This device does not let you use the SD card system (autoexec.ash).

2- The only way to start de USB direct is: push reset 5 seconds and release, push and hold REC/OK button, connect USB, release REC/OK.

3- I need a 20120929 firmware, like there was in my camera before I destroyed everything. Maybe someone can make a backup of his device and post here... or maybe another solution?.... Thanks!

if you bought from somewhere like eBay?? maybe try contacting some other owners of the same cam and see if they can backup the firmware for you

The same cam?? too many "same cams" out there. But when new year in China ends, I will talk to the seller. Maybe he can help. If there is a solution I will put it here. (if it is not a problem for someone...)

nachoo said:
The same cam?? too many "same cams" out there. But when new year in China ends, I will talk to the seller. Maybe he can help. If there is a solution I will put it here. (if it is not a problem for someone...)

yeah I know all too well there are many of the same, I meant by contacting some buyers from the same sale as yours, if it was an eBay purchase, that can be a challenge also given the amount of people that don't leave feedback

anyway once your seller comes back you can hopefully get it sorted

I tried again some firmwares. One of them was 0309 600FHD USB firmware A (amboot_kernel_romfs_dsp_release.bin).

The dvr starts for 2 seconds. It appears TEXET upside down, and screen off.
But I tried to plug the HDMI to the TV. Nothing to loose. Just when the dvr screen turns black, the TV shows the image of the camera ok (but upside down).

At his moment I knew that the cam was not dead, and tried not to follow the instructions. I read that I have to put a file called "autoexec.ash" in the sd card, with the firmware, etc, etc.

That was not right for this dvr. It is only neccesary the file with the name "firmware.bin" and nothing else. I used the firm 201201122 posted here. (renamed "hd13up201201122.bin" to "firmware.bin" )

I have to say that there is something different between the direct usb method and the card method. I flashed the same firmware with USB many times, and it never worked, but with the sd it worked ok. (first flashed the texet firmware with USB)

Then what I have done is this:
1- Flash the device with the firmware told before using the usb direct method:
To connect the dvr: Reset 5 seconds, start the program directUSB, press and hold rec/ok, plug USB (use only Win XP, it does not work in Win7). You should ear the windows sound like when you plug a usb drive or whatever (din-don)
2- Unplug the USB. format SD card, and copy the firmware 201201122.bin inside, but rename to "firmware.bin" (no quotes)
3- insert SD card. Reset 5 seconds and start (at this moment I am not very sure if first I insterted the card or I started the DVR... Just try. I have tried more or less 3500 times)

Between the point 1 and 2 you should do the following:
a- Publish here a post calling for help,
b- Wait for Jokiin, that will tell you that you are dead, and that you should buy another DVR, and that maybe you are a little stupid, but nothing that can help, just empty posts. (don't worry, Jokiin, it was like a joke. I thank you for all)
c- E-mail all the factorys in SHENZHEN, GUANGONG, China that manufactures these devices, and wait for their response for ever. (not true. Vicky from http://www.carrilla.com was the only that told me that whould help, but I am still waiting. Maybe tomorrow...) If she shows me another method, I will tell you all.
d- Try all the possible combinations with buttons, firmwares, etc, etc, etc. Loose all your free time. Forget about your wife and sons. Buy tons of beer before all.

I have seen the new firmware, and it is the same that the old. Even I have seen a new called 20130105, and comparing with 201201122 is exactly the same file, so I think that the firm that I have now is the same that I had in the beginning. Too much time for nothing. Never try to do such a stupid thing.

Now I think that I have drink too much, and I will sleep, but the DVR works perfectly.. Astuuuriaaas patria queridaaaaaa

Hi nachoo. I admire your perseverance! Glad you got it too work.

Thank you very much!
Finally the seller sent me a copy of a "updated firmware". It is a .elf file called amboot_kernel_romfs_dsp_release.elf

I have used the direct usb program and it worked. When I see the firmware name in the menu, I found that it is 201201122. The same posted here, but with elf extension.

The file I received from seller is this: (clic here), and now the direct USB method worked. I hope it helps someone.

Back